Sponsored

MOPAR Tailgate Reinforcement Bracket - Accessories?

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
After about 5 round of modification/cutting/trimming got the GP factor mount on the JL mopar tailgate hinge.

Mounted 2 set of TredPro as I already got a Trailrax for the Rotopax mount.

A953A447-58FA-4401-B62F-F1AE209CAF4A.jpeg
A4B19A4A-C55D-4A18-8D7D-1DB84C7CFBD5.jpeg
4B7547DF-5400-40F2-A088-43C457C63053.jpeg
Let us see where you modified this.. where did ya cut?
Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
X2. I can’t come up with another option outside a whole roof rack with only traction boards on it which is overkill. Also, I can’t find one of these GP mounts available right now.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
If you zoom in on the photo, there is a cut out for the antenna mount, I circled where I could see the modification to the bracket.

Jeep Wrangler JL MOPAR Tailgate Reinforcement Bracket - Accessories? A953A447-58FA-4401-B62F-F1AE209CAF4A

I will be reaching out to a local fab shop to have something similar made.

Alamein.sajib

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker RED JLUR
If you zoom in on the photo, there is a cut out for the antenna mount, I circled where I could see the modification to the bracket.

A953A447-58FA-4401-B62F-F1AE209CAF4A.jpeg

I will be reaching out to a local fab shop to have something similar made.
Thank you, Yes that's correct, i did the cutout on that corner., otherwise it was hitting the flag mount (?) thingy.

And also had to cut a good chunk of top section of the GP factor mount otherwise you wouldn't be able to open your rear glass.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thank you, Yes that's correct, i did the cutout on that corner., otherwise it was hitting the flag mount (?) thingy.

And also had to cut a good chunk of top section of the GP factor mount otherwise you wouldn't be able to open your rear glass.
Ah, I see now when looking at an original picture of the bracket on their site. How’s it holding up since you had to cut that much off?

Sponsored

4x4inthe6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimted
Any other aftermarket brackets found to work with the reinforcement bracket?

stravafred

First Name
StravaFred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I emailed GP Factor today and they said there's a JL version of the hinge mount in the works: "We should have something released by end of the month and product available to ship by end of July"

I will wait. But I love the work by @Alamein.sajib !

iago_ch

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited 2018
Hi everyone,

I am the happy owner of a JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2018). The vehicle is almost ready for overlanding adventures. The very last modification I need is a way to mount recovery boards. My options are limited since I have no roof rack and do not want any.

The solution shown here would be by far my favourite way to mount a pair of Maxtrax or Tred. Do I understand correctly that I need to get 2 parts
  • GP Factor hinge mount
  • Mopar tailgate reinforce
and then do some welding (my local garage would be able to do it)? If GP Factor releases a new mount, does that mean that it will fit without any welding or cutting?

Philippe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 3.6 Auto
How’s it holding up since you had to cut that much off?

Would be interested in that too, because honestly, at this point I'm so frustrated with the project, that I'm really thinking hard about whether I should continue with this uuhm... "bright" idea, or just throw the GP JK mount away. So far, solving one problem, only seems to be leading to the next here.

1. you have to flex off the antenna-/flag mount section to get the GP Mount screwed into the 3 factory holes of the Mopar Tailgate reinforcement-thingy.

2. Ok, so now its mounted, BUT: The bend in the metal on the far right, obviously there for structural stability, now rubs on the passenger LED Taillight
=>So you flex off a section there too.

3. if you're not running a softtop, your rear window now doesn't open anymore, fantastic!
=> so you flex off even more material on a product that was sorta wobbly already from the factory...

4. Cool, GP-thingy is screwed onto Mopar thingy, rear window opens, pass. LED taillight is safed from destruction... or is it meow?
=> For those of you who hate SPOILERS, just go ahead and follow my instructions step by step:
-mount 4 Maxtrax on the carrier withthe GP-Factor screw-on mounts
-make sure a camera is rolling and zoomed-in on your face
-then open your tailgate all the way and even put a little oomph behind the effort.
-Feel your face derailing spectacularly at the sound of cracking plastic
-Congrats! Your Maxtrax just punched a hole into your passenger LED taillight!
-Wonder why nobody mentioned this in this thread?!?!?
-Watch the whole thing again on video
-upload the vid on youtube and share it in this thread

==> Sidenote: Yeah you could be VERY careful opening your tailgate EVERY time and your taillight would be fine. But YOU won't: Especially not when you're somewhere in-between your 12th to 15th can of adult soda at 3a.m. and need to get a jacket out the back of your rig QUICK because you're in the middle of a thunderstorm, just trust me on that.... Also trust me that even if it won't be you under those kinda circumstances, it'll be your spouse, best friend or someone else you really hate to hate, that'll break it for you the first chance they get...

I only now ran into problem number 2. when my Ursa poptop arrived and I 've swapped the softtop for it. And, as I said initially: I'm really thinking hard whether I should flex that section for the rear-window off, because that would lead me toooooooooo

5. only mounting 2 boards henceforth, or drill new mounting holes in either the GP or more likely the Mopar thingy. Like that I could bring the Maxtrax approx an inch closer to the stock 33" sparetire and away from investing yet another 200$ for a replacement taillight on Ebay. At this point I'm so convinced that Murphy hates this project, that I fear the darn GP JK mount will wobble so much after all the cutouts, that I'll still be able to kill another taillight the next time I swing the gate open...

So yes, that would be really neat to know! Taking the whole darn spare tire assembly and the Mopar tailgate "reinforcement" off again to drill new holes in it, only to find out I poked another taillight, will likely result in me setting my workshop on fire :headbang:

So far, this whole project has been nothing but a huge waste of time and money, and I'm not even remotely motivated to invest more of either in it.

Also you should ask yourself: If I have to go through the trouble of taking everything off again, I'd rather drill holes into a new Teraflex hinge and carrier, that is an actual reinforcement... The creative company they are, they'll probably come up with a Maxtrax mount of their own, probably even adjustable for different tiresizes...
Unfortunately the Teraflex carrier hadn't been out yet back when I started with this project. With that, and knowing what I know NOW, I likely wouldn't have bothered with the Mopar combo ever at all....

Last edited:

Sponsored

Brad_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Rubicon (stock so far)
I had to notch my high-lift jack mount to fit around the antennae point. I also had to spec custom bolts because the ones that came with the tailgate reinforcement were not long enough to also hold the bracket. I haven't found a use for those other threaded holes.

Jeep Wrangler JL MOPAR Tailgate Reinforcement Bracket - Accessories? A953A447-58FA-4401-B62F-F1AE209CAF4A

What High-Lift jack mount are you using? Is that with the Mopar reininforced hinge gate?

Thank you!

Frostbyte

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392XR, 2019 WK2 LtdX, 2017 JK, 2006 XK

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What High-Lift jack mount are you using? Is that with the Mopar reininforced hinge gate?

Thank you!
I'll be honest, I can't remember. I thought it was a cheap one from Extreme terrain, but I browsed their site and can't seem to find it. Sorry!

Brad_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Rubicon (stock so far)
I'll be honest, I can't remember. I thought it was a cheap one from Extreme terrain, but I browsed their site and can't seem to find it. Sorry!
Thanks for looking! Is your hinge gate the reinforced one from Mopar?