Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon - Sting Gray
Hoping this is a quick kill.

On order:
Wrangler JL Tailgate Reinforcement System - 82215356AB
Wrangler JL Oversized Spare Tire Carrier Modification Kit - 82215355

I will be running Toyo Open Country M/T 37x12.50xr17s

I've searched the forum and read various threads and can't seem to find what I'm looking for:

Is a tire relocation kit (RC, SB, etc) required IF using the reinforcement system AND the oversized spare tire carrier kit??

My understanding is the the reinforcement system is for added security (piece of mind) for the additional weight of the wheel/tire (tailgate). The oversized spare tire carrier adds spacers to push the tire away from the tailgate (?). And the relocation kits that are currently available allow an oversized tire (37+) to moved UP to provide for clearance from the bumper (?).

I could be wrong but it seems like most are running the reinforcement system and some type of relocation bracket (RC, SB, etc) but perhaps NOT all (3): Reinforcement system/modification kit AND a relocation bracket.

Again, is the relocation kit (moving the tire up) needed if you are using the reinforcement system/modification kit??

Hoping someone can shed some light on the above.

Apologies for the lengthy read :captain:
Sponsored

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Just installed the reinforcement system, jury is still out whether it does anything other than give me some piece of mind. By the way it does not reinforce the hinges themselves, it basically provides extra bracing between the hinge connection to the tail gate and where the tire mount connects to the tailgate.

The need for the "oversized" spare tire carrier or relocation bracket (it would be one or the other not both) is dependant on the back spacing of the rim, width of the tire and the tire diameter. I don't need it for my combination (see sig).

So unfortunately, not a quick kill for you, there isn't enough experience yet with the all the combinations. I suggest you get the tires on then see what you need. Worse case is you drive around with the OEM tire for your spare while you wait for the extra parts to come in.

OP
OP
BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just installed the reinforcement system, jury is still out whether it does anything other than give me some piece of mind. By the way it does not reinforce the hinges themselves, it basically provides extra bracing between the hinge connection to the tail gate and where the tire mount connects to the tailgate.

The need for the "oversized" spare tire carrier or relocation bracket (it would be one or the other not both) is dependant on the back spacing of the rim, width of the tire and the tire diameter. I don't need it for my combination (see sig).

So unfortunately, not a quick kill for you, there isn't enough experience yet with the all the combinations. I suggest you get the tires on then see what you need. Worse case is you drive around with the OEM tire for your spare while you wait for the extra parts to come in.
Thanks for the info.

I went 37s...based upon everything I've read and as mentioned, the piece of mind factor, I went with the reinforcement system.

I opted for the modification kit for two reasons...one, it seemed as though it was "needed" to accompany the reinforcement system; and two, based upon my tire size, it allowed for some flexibility to adjust the position of the tire (and I believe it comes with additional bump stops).

The system and kit seem to work together and if you follow the instructions, the modification kit is "required".

My real question is whether or not, for 37s, you need the relocation bracket (RC, SB, others) to move the tire UP off the bumper. I've seen some members run the relocation brackets and some have not...just trying to get some thoughts from those who have more experience than I do.

Appreciate the response!

Brian_18JLUR

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK, Jeep Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
So here's my question, What's the difference with a 97lb 37" tire VS a 89lb 39" tire on the carrier? MOPAR says the largest tire is a 37 but that isn't a weight. What's the comparison in harm?

OP
OP
BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So here's my question, What's the difference with a 97lb 37" tire VS a 89lb 39" tire on the carrier? MOPAR says the largest tire is a 37 but that isn't a weight. What's the comparison in harm?
Good point...my understanding was the additional weight was the concern, not sure where the concern would fall between a 37" and 39" tire.

Sponsored

Brian_18JLUR

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Toyo and Nitto are the heaviest tires on the market, BFG and Goodyear are on the lighter side. I thinking about running it but kinda scared and to throw 1k at a design that's not proven is not smart on my part

OP
OP
BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Toyo and Nitto are the heaviest tires on the market, BFG and Goodyear are on the lighter side. I thinking about running it but kinda scared and to throw 1k at a design that's not proven is not smart on my part
I was between Toyo's and Cooper's.

Cooper's are 10lbs (ish) lighter and after all was said and done, only a couple hundred less than the Toyo's.

The reinforcement system for me, and for many other members, was a "piece of mind" buy. Will I do enough wheeling to run the risk of damaging the tailgate w/my wheel/tire combo w/out the system...maybe not, but I'd hate myself if I passed on it and it creased...not to mention, I got the system for a couple hundred less than what I've seen on other sites.

I'm comfortable w/the buy...I'm asking if the relocation bracket is needed on top of the reinforcement system/modification kit.

Thanks.

Brian_18JLUR

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
where did you purchase from? If i decide to go this route, I like saving money lol

OP
OP
BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Lol...no doubt.

https://www.justforjeeps.com/jl-tailgate-reinforcement.html

I've seen other sites list this system for as much as $700 :no:
Hope this helps...

The short answer is No, you do not need both a relocation bracket and the modification kit. They do the exact same thing.

- Mopar kit pushes the tire out 1" or so but doesn't lift it up.
- Smitty Built kit does 1.5" up and out.
- Go Rhino kit lifts up and out 3".
- JCR kit does 2" up and out.

All kits claim to deal with the brake light and backup camera (or claim to) and all claim to deal with 37" tires.

As an example, below is a picture from Go Rhino of their product using the stock carrier. It pushes the tire out and up, more than enough to clear a 37" tire. So with that product you wouldn't need the Modification kit but still might want the Reinforcement kit.

The Reinforcement kit can be used without the Modification Kit. The reinforcement kit also provides mounting points for other stuff. Mopar doesn't actually have other stuff yet but there is what looks like a built in bracket for an antenna and 3 extra threaded bolt holes that could be used for a jack or water/fuel carrier.

ex_q80_w1000_h1000_sparetirerelocjl.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
BlueBlood

BlueBlood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hope this helps...

The short answer is No, you do not need both a relocation bracket and the modification kit. They do the exact same thing.

All kits claim to deal with the brake light and backup camera (or claim to) and all claim to deal with 37" tires.

As an example, below is a picture from Go Rhino of their product using the stock carrier. It pushes the tire out and up, more than enough to clear a 37" tire. So with that product you wouldn't need the Modification kit but still might want the Reinforcement kit.

The Reinforcement kit can be used without the Modification Kit. The reinforcement kit also provides mounting points for other stuff. Mopar doesn't actually have other stuff yet but there is what looks like a built in bracket for an antenna and 3 extra threaded bolt holes that could be used for a jack or water/fuel carrier.

Thanks for in-depth response! :like:

JMartinez89

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler jlu sahara
I got the mopar reinforcement kit, but paired it with the rough country sparetire relocation bracket. Fit together perfectly and saved some money. While the reinforcement kit wasn't cheap, it gives me some piece of mind. Plus the black goes with the white and black look of my jeep.
20180704_100121.jpg

20180704_125631.jpg

20180704_102043.jpg

Slyderzero1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'54 Chevy PU, '07 HD FLHTCUI, '15 Ram 4x4, '18 Mojito Rubi
Vehicle Showcase
I got the mopar reinforcement kit, but paired it with the rough country sparetire relocation bracket. Fit together perfectly and saved some money. While the reinforcement kit wasn't cheap, it gives me some piece of mind. Plus the black goes with the white and black look of my jeep.
20180704_100121.jpg

20180704_125631.jpg

20180704_102043.jpg
What size tire are you using with this combination? I've already installed 37x13.50's and have been thinking of the spare mount options. I like this approach.

JMartinez89

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler jlu sahara
What size tire are you using with this combination? I've already installed 37x13.50's and have been thinking of the spare mount options. I like this approach.
Its a 35in tire. Plenty of room for a bigger tire though. Using it with the reinforcement kit, you get an additional half inch of distance out, on top of the 1in you get from the bracket alone.
I am however having to find aftermarket bump stops, because the stock ones no longer reach the tire. A 37 may not have the same issue. That being said I haven't had any issues with vibrations, even without the bump stops.
15307488686912392582200563109434.jpg

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Hope this helps...

They need to re-photograph that with some bump stops!
Sponsored