WTF Jeep?

lindaspins

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
It's not the only charging station in Moab.

Screenshot_20210616-234727_PlugShare.jpg
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
That charging station was installed with a temporary special use permit, at the last minute, to allow Jeep to provide drive and ride experiences during the Easter Jeep Safari. That station is labeled, clearly, as out of order because the installation is not intended to be operational at this time.

https://www.moabtimes.com/articles/...-charging-stations-on-display-at-walker-drug/

It does not seem like a reasonable person would brag about theft on a public forum.
It's arguably not theft. Jeep installed these for public use. Being a standalone solar device there is no electricity to steal other than Jeep's electricity which they are clearly giving away. It's local government that only provided a temporary permit and prohibited it's use. Not the owner of the device or the user of the device.

That's civil disobedience because government is the only one who is getting ticked off by it.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
It's arguably not theft. Jeep installed these for public use. Being a standalone solar device there is no electricity to steal other than Jeep's electricity which they are clearly giving away. It's local government that only provided a temporary permit and prohibited it's use. Not the owner of the device or the user of the device.

That's civil disobedience because government is the only one who is getting ticked off by it.
I'd also argue it isn't theft, nor civil disobedience because it isn't a pay station to begin with nor is it marked as "Private" or "Do Not Use". No one circumvented a payment process to access something for free. There was a charging station marked as "Out of Order". Typical for humans to do, someone tried it anyway, and it worked because someone decided to mark it as "Out Of Order" instead of "Do Not Use".

If you have to read a news article and surmise the reason it's shut down based on the information in the article (which may or may not be why it's marked as "Out of Order"), then it's ridiculous to accuse someone of stealing for using that charging platform.

If the intent really is to have it non-operational until the government decides to permit it for permanent use, then they need to mark it as such (Private, Do Not Use, Not For Public Use, Etc.).

Sponsored

wranglerbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
That charging station was installed with a temporary special use permit, at the last minute, to allow Jeep to provide drive and ride experiences during the Easter Jeep Safari. That station is labeled, clearly, as out of order because the installation is not intended to be operational at this time.

https://www.moabtimes.com/articles/...-charging-stations-on-display-at-walker-drug/

It does not seem like a reasonable person would brag about theft on a public forum.
Where does it say "the installation is not intended to be operational at this time?" A better question would be why chance screwing up at 60K vehicle at a charging station labeled OOO? I sure as heck wouldn't.

IMO, seems pretty douche to accuse the OP of theft in this scenario. He's at a Jeep built solar charging station meant for 4XE owners. Exactly who did he steal from, the sun?

Last edited:

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
I came for the click bait, but stayed for the BTF quotes. Classic movie, good job all.

FWIW, I'm not sure when it became okay to mess with other peoples' stuff just because someone 'didn't tell you not to', but whatever, it happened and the OP seems proud of his actions. I guess an "Atta-boy" is in order. Keep 'er movin

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I'd also argue it isn't theft, nor civil disobedience because it isn't a pay station to begin with nor is it marked as "Private" or "Do Not Use". No one circumvented a payment process to access something for free. There was a charging station marked as "Out of Order". Typical for humans to do, someone tried it anyway, and it worked because someone decided to mark it as "Out Of Order" instead of "Do Not Use".

If you have to read a news article and surmise the reason it's shut down based on the information in the article (which may or may not be why it's marked as "Out of Order"), then it's ridiculous to accuse someone of stealing for using that charging platform.

If the intent really is to have it non-operational until the government decides to permit it for permanent use, then they need to mark it as such (Private, Do Not Use, Not For Public Use, Etc.).
Nope. Doesn't fly.
It was accurately signed. It was out of order. Not for technical or mechanical reasons but for permit reasons which is nevertheless required for use. In addition the use of the device required the breaking of a lock. A zip tie. Granted it is not a particularly strong lock but it is nevertheless a restraint designed to prohibit use that must be broken. Just because someone can break it doesn't mean they should. I can break both a zip tie and a padlock. What's the difference between breaking a zip tie or a padlock besides the ease of doing so? Both are breaking into a restraint.

I say it's civil disobedience as its only restricted because the local government hasn't gotten its ass in gear to permit it. The owner and the user have no issues and the government is in the way. When people say they're fine with something, screw you government, we're doing it no matter what you say... thats civil disobedience.

OP
OP
HungryHound

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
My guess is the coal rollers were playing a joke on the 4xers.
Technically, they're oil-burners now. The plug-in hybrids are the new coal rollers since that's where most of the electricity comes from in the US. 😁

OP
OP
HungryHound

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Who said I was reasonable? There's about a dozen other free charging stations around Moab. We went to this one because it was listed as available, Jeep made a big deal bragging about all these stations and it is conveniently located near restaurants. It's solar powered so I guess I stole from God?

OP
OP
HungryHound

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any idea what the charge rate was? Did it provide the full 7.2 kW?
We were at 90% having charged up at the power company's station earlier. It topped us off fairly quickly, but I didn't look to see what the actual rate was.

OP
OP
HungryHound

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Damn, and I thought I was being a bad boy. In either case, my wife thought I was all thug life so I got a little action later.
Sponsored