Sponsored

Wrangler as a daily driver?

graytrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 2020 LR Discovery, 2015 RR Sport SC
I’ve owned 3 Wranglers (including a 392) and have never been able to use them as a DD. Mostly because of highway driving - I find them rather loud and not stable at high speeds. My 392 with SOT closed, full doors and side panels installed gets squirrelly starting at 75 mph and requires more attention at any highway speed than alternatives. To me a soft top is definitely not usable as a DD in the northeast between snow in the winter and heat in the summer. Maybe I’m getting old!
Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I drive about 100 miles a day from place to place. In and out of my Jeep all day. No issues. I drive a stock rubicon with a leveling kit. Love it.

When on highway I don’t go over 70 cause I feel most comfortable that way. I will say the Jeep has slowed me down a bit on the highway. Lol.

Dakota Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Get some longer track bars. I am not positive what the 392 comes with but on the regular rubicon, it gets pretty squirrelly at freeway speeds. I swapped in the Mopar 2” lift track bars and it is a breeze to drive now. Before, it felt tiresome. The 392 already has a lift so you might want to look at some adjustable after market ones.

EDIT: I meant to say lower control arms.

Last edited:

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
How many of you utilize your wrangler as a daily driver? I travel to several plants monthly throughout the northeast and put roughly 20-25k miles a year on my daily driver. Wondering if my ordered 392 can fit the bill as a daily?
Mine is 100% a daily driver. Round trip to work and back is 15 miles. I haul my kid to daycare in it daily too. It is our weekend around the town vehicle, and I personally won't hesitate to take it on extended trips without the fam, and it'll do 80 MPH on most roads without any squirreliness. I do have to slow down for rough patches, as that is when it will get squirrelly, and sometimes downright scary.

I live in Charleston, SC, so it is our beach vehicle too. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of off-road opportunities here, so a couple times a year I'll drive a few hours to a not-quite local ORV park.

For any longer trips with the family, we will take my wife's Ford Edge. There is not enough room in the back of my JLU for all the baby goodies required for a 2 year old, and the Ford is a much smoother ride (and gets around 28 MPG on the interstate, vs 18 MPG).

I wouldn't have any hesitation to use mine (or a 392) for your stated needs as a daily. I'm a 3.6 Sahara on Rubi wheels and suspension, with the stock Rubi KO2s.

I will switch out the sunrider for hardtop for the Freedom Panels for long trips to cut down on wind noise. It's reasonably quiet with the panels in.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler as a daily driver? Jeep.PNG

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I daily drive mine quite a bit. The ol' F150 gets lonely these days, but doesn't mind the rest. A 2 door JL suits my needs and is super easy to park.

I find that it drives and rides well up to 80 MPH, but I've been driving trucks and Jeeps all of my life. Those of you who have been driving sports cars or luxury sedans probably find the ride and handling to be lacking.

Last edited:

rmasonjr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sport Altitude
I drive mine (see profile pic) daily for 70 miles round trip. I lock the cruise on 68 and it's great. I came from an F-150 so it is smaller, but my Jeep has worked great as a DD.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I'm using my JLURD as a utility vehicle: daily driver, cargo carrier when needed and occasional offroading. Love the torque and gas mileage over my JKUR.

Don't hesitate to use your JL as a daily driver!

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
I wouldn't have it any other way. 392 inbound to replace current JLUR and stoked.
My other vehicles are too loud, hot, and crazy.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
My 4xe is my DD, but I work from home so I'm not sure that really counts. I've had two CJ-7's that I used as my DDs back in my youth. I wouldn't suggest that in your scenario, but a JLU should be fine, though I hope you're getting work to pay for that gas bill.

Sponsored

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
M-F daily drive my jl wrangler sport s. Love every minute of it.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
It doesn't sound like money is a concern, but consider getting a cheap commuter and putting the gas savings into your mod budget! I used to keep a 6speed Jetta around, that thing averaged about 43 combined MPG and I was doing about 20k a year. Kept my other vehicles in pristine condition. I'm down to just the Wrangler now, but will start rebuilding once vehicle prices calm down.
That also allows you to keep working while you're doing any installs or having any installs done that take 2-5 days.

Inigo Montoya

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Just bought a 4XE and traded a GMC Sierra. I work from home but drive my kids around to crap all day everyday! I do find myself going slower on the highway, but I've never enjoyed driving so much either... One Touch top, windows down, music up and its awesome!

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
Second Jeep.
1st was a 2001 TJ, 4.0 5-spd manual that was daily driver / toy/ / toad. It drove fine at 75 on the highway, did great in town, and was impressive on the trails (front lunch box locker & front 2” spacer lift) and winch.

New Jeep:
2021 JLURD. 3.0 diesel, 8-spd auto. Stock tires, winch, steel front bumper, nothing else. Daily driver / toy / toad, again. This one is a dream to drive. 85mph down the interstate is no problem. Solid, steady, one hand on the wheel driving. Great in town. No trails, yet…
Love the adaptive cruise control.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler as a daily driver? 9AB12D58-251A-4136-A9B3-5E264D786083

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrangler as a daily driver? F75351C9-521E-4547-A07B-3132F3A363ED

Last edited: