Sponsored

"Winter" has neutered the 4xe

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Just drove up some of our steep hills in 32F in electric mode. Other than my range going from 28ish to 21ish, there was no real difference. It also downshifted readily to 3 from 4 to maintain 37-38mph.

MoHeTow!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito!, 2022 JLUR4XE Tuscadero ordered
Let me preface this by saying I am very much a fan of the 4xe, and I have loved mine for damn near every mile we've driven together. That being said, ever since it started getting colder (<50) the electric performance has become quite degraded. I know range will drop with colder temps, it's just a fact of life, but what I'm referring to is the actual power production. I live on and around a bunch of small hills, in the warmer months they weren't a bother and I was able to cruise along without a thought. What I have noticed now is that in electric mode it struggles and in some cases is unable to maintain speed. This is most prevalent when I am in 3rd gear doing ~40mph, what I am experiencing is a loss of power, almost like a manual with a slipping clutch. There is no throttle response and it starts to lose momentum. Obviously this is an electric only issue and running on the ICE cures it, but that's not really the point of the 4xe, especially on local <20 mile trips. If this is what I should expect, so be it, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced similar behavior, and if there is a remedy. Frankly I'm a little concerned as 45 degrees is not really "cold" when compared to sub 30's and snow.
Now you tell me, mines on order. Let us know how it works next week when it gets really cold here. I see your in WA like me.

OverIsland

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Army
Im on my 6th JL and also have had a Tesla Model Y for a year now. The Tesla battery gets absolutely murdered in the cold. I lifted it and have Fallen Wildpeaks on it so that hurts the distance but the cold will hurt it more than anything.

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
To the OP, yours sounds like a unique problem and you should take it in to the dealer. I have not experienced what you described as struggling in 3rd gear, or a loss in power. Please report back to here as it will help others who may have similar problems, though this is the first I heard of this particular problem.

("Neutered" may have been a little strong in this instance, as your 4xe is still drivable and just in one unique scenario there is hesitation.)

Good luck.

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
To the OP, yours sounds like a unique problem and you should take it in to the dealer. I have not experienced what you described as struggling in 3rd gear, or a loss in power. Please report back to here as it will help others who may have similar problems, though this is the first I heard of this particular problem.

("Neutered" may have been a little strong in this instance, as your 4xe is still drivable and just in one unique scenario there is hesitation.)

Good luck.
I'm planning on taking it in after the holidays, it's still drive able and I have other priorities to manage.

I chose the word partly for humor but also because I find it applicable. A Christmas tree can still function as a Christmas tree even if there aren't any balls hanging from it, it just doesn't have the same feeling as it should.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Haha. Great answer - cheers.

I'm planning on taking it in after the holidays, it's still drive able and I have other priorities to manage.

I chose the word partly for humor but also because I find it applicable. A Christmas tree can still function as a Christmas tree even if there aren't any balls hanging from it, it just doesn't have the same feeling as it should.

mla575

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4xe, 16 Toyota Sienna, 06 Gallardo SE
Occupation
Self Employed
I am having the issue of “electric mode not available “. Not the first time I received this prompt. Went for a drive this morn. Started off in hybrid mode. Drove 5 miles. Tried to switch over to electric and received that message. 41 degrees out. Kept in a garage that’s about 57 degrees inside. The other times I tried it was much colder out and was outside much longer so that made sense that the battery may not have been conditioned. Thinking I may have to call service….

Sponsored

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
I am having the issue of “electric mode not available “. Not the first time I received this prompt. Went for a drive this morn. Started off in hybrid mode. Drove 5 miles. Tried to switch over to electric and received that message. 41 degrees out. Kept in a garage that’s about 57 degrees inside. The other times I tried it was much colder out and was outside much longer so that made sense that the battery may not have been conditioned. Thinking I may have to call service….
Mine is garage kept, constantly plugged in with a level 2. When it gets 20 degrees and lower I just run Esave.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
Well everyone better get ready for this type of stuff. Since electric everything is getting shoved down our throats. Its a damb shame.

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Did you have the heat on? Theres detailed lines in the manual supplement that state when the ICE will kick on. Ambient temperature and heater load are one of those conditions. When it does it best just to let the 4xe do its thing. The engine will run until everything is warmed and then the 4xe will operate as usual.

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Did you have the heat on? Theres detailed lines in the manual supplement that state when the ICE will kick on. Ambient temperature and heater load are one of those conditions. When it does it best just to let the 4xe do its thing. The engine will run until everything is warmed and then the 4xe will operate as usual.
I encountered this a couple of days ago, and it did specifically state that it couldn't be on electric because of climate control. Your spot on about letting it do it's thing.

We've had a fair bit of snow this week and I'm quite pleased with how it's handled it. I will add the Baja Boss A/Ts have been rock solid in the snow and ice.
Sponsored