Sponsored

"Winter" has neutered the 4xe

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Let me preface this by saying I am very much a fan of the 4xe, and I have loved mine for damn near every mile we've driven together. That being said, ever since it started getting colder (<50) the electric performance has become quite degraded. I know range will drop with colder temps, it's just a fact of life, but what I'm referring to is the actual power production. I live on and around a bunch of small hills, in the warmer months they weren't a bother and I was able to cruise along without a thought. What I have noticed now is that in electric mode it struggles and in some cases is unable to maintain speed. This is most prevalent when I am in 3rd gear doing ~40mph, what I am experiencing is a loss of power, almost like a manual with a slipping clutch. There is no throttle response and it starts to lose momentum. Obviously this is an electric only issue and running on the ICE cures it, but that's not really the point of the 4xe, especially on local <20 mile trips. If this is what I should expect, so be it, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced similar behavior, and if there is a remedy. Frankly I'm a little concerned as 45 degrees is not really "cold" when compared to sub 30's and snow.
Sponsored

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Have the dealer evaluate the performance on a cool/cold day. The electric power drop off seems excessive.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
This sounds similar to issues others have had just before the 4xe force dropped out of Electric only mode and into Hybrid mode. Maybe if some of those hills were longer, it would drop you out of Electric mode as well. I experienced this behavior (though not cold related) one morning, pre RRT's, but never had it happen again.

Sponsored

Jeeperz Kreeperz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
@Low_Spark, I’ve noticed a similar response going up long, steady inclines while in electric-only mode - regardless of the ambient temperature. It’s a 134 hp motor, trying to drive my 6K+ pound rig up a long hill. I use one of the following to resolve the issue:
  • Stomp on the accelerator pedal to force the ICE on
  • Press the button to switch to e-save mode to force ICE on
  • Move the gear shift to manual to force the ICE on
Without forcing the ICE on, you’re trying to move a heavy, non-aerodynamic SUV up a long hill with only 134 HP. Not an optimal situation.

That having been said, if you’re finding it is worse in colder temps, then maybe you need to have it looked at.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Might help to look at other things drawing down the power. Maybe the battery climate control is drawing down power from the system in cooler weather, for example. I would think that it would only affect range, but there may be other systems that may mechanically draw power.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I have been out a few days in the 30F-40F range and experienced no difference in power in electric mode on our hills around here. Are you in max regen (I am, always, but I'm used to one-pedal driving), and do you have the updates?

OP
OP
Low_Spark

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
I have been out a few days in the 30F-40F range and experienced no difference in power in electric mode on our hills around here. Are you in max regen (I am, always, but I'm used to one-pedal driving), and do you have the updates?
I never use Max Regen, I'm not a fan of how it drives in that mode. I know something is up, since May when I took delivery I've likely driven these hills 200+ times, I'm intimately familiar with each varying incline. For example the main hill I drive up is ~3/4 mile long, with a speed limit of 40mph. It has 2 main sections where the bulk of the elevation is gained with a long middle section that has a more subtle slope. In warmer weather I would start at the bottom in 2nd doing ~15mph (stupid round about) and make the initial climb building speed and going into 3rd, by the time the slope tapered off I would be doing ~40mph and it would shift into 4th. I could drive in fourth and build a bit more speed through this middle section before the final ascent where my speed would bleed off and I would crest the hill still in 4th but doing 37-39 mph (not sure if anyone else has noticed but this thing HATES to downshift in electric mode). Now, just last night in fact, I never made it out of 3rd and had to engage the ICE for the final incline, well below the crest as my speed had dropped to under 35.

OINC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I never use Max Regen, I'm not a fan of how it drives in that mode. I know something is up, since May when I took delivery I've likely driven these hills 200+ times, I'm intimately familiar with each varying incline. For example the main hill I drive up is ~3/4 mile long, with a speed limit of 40mph. It has 2 main sections where the bulk of the elevation is gained with a long middle section that has a more subtle slope. In warmer weather I would start at the bottom in 2nd doing ~15mph (stupid round about) and make the initial climb building speed and going into 3rd, by the time the slope tapered off I would be doing ~40mph and it would shift into 4th. I could drive in fourth and build a bit more speed through this middle section before the final ascent where my speed would bleed off and I would crest the hill still in 4th but doing 37-39 mph (not sure if anyone else has noticed but this thing HATES to downshift in electric mode). Now, just last night in fact, I never made it out of 3rd and had to engage the ICE for the final incline, well below the crest as my speed had dropped to under 35.
I love max regen, but I'm used to one-pedal driving. I hate it without it! 😂

There is fairly steep, maybe 1/4 mile hill on the main arterial by my neighborhood (so I drive it every day) where the speed limit goes from 35->40 near the crest of the hill. I think the coldest I've driven it was 36F the other week, and I was still able to get up to 40mph in electric just fine. Next time it's cold (early next week? It's 72F here now...) I'll pay even closer attention to the downshifting (or lack thereof).

Sponsored

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
I did have similar situation but chalked it up to being in hybrid mode. Went to pickup dinner 3 miles away on the other side of a steep hill. Normally I do it all in electric but that time it kicked on the ice. It surprised me but I chalked it up to it being 30 degrees out and having the heat and warmers going. The only thing I can think off is your total battery draw caused it to switch over.

MassMopar

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JT Mojave, 23 JLR
Have not noticed a lack of power at all in ours, temps down in the 20s. Range certainly has dropped especially as we run the heat and heated seats.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Let me preface this by saying I am very much a fan of the 4xe, and I have loved mine for damn near every mile we've driven together. That being said, ever since it started getting colder (<50) the electric performance has become quite degraded. I know range will drop with colder temps, it's just a fact of life, but what I'm referring to is the actual power production. I live on and around a bunch of small hills, in the warmer months they weren't a bother and I was able to cruise along without a thought. What I have noticed now is that in electric mode it struggles and in some cases is unable to maintain speed. This is most prevalent when I am in 3rd gear doing ~40mph, what I am experiencing is a loss of power, almost like a manual with a slipping clutch. There is no throttle response and it starts to lose momentum. Obviously this is an electric only issue and running on the ICE cures it, but that's not really the point of the 4xe, especially on local <20 mile trips. If this is what I should expect, so be it, but I'm curious if anyone has experienced similar behavior, and if there is a remedy. Frankly I'm a little concerned as 45 degrees is not really "cold" when compared to sub 30's and snow.
It is most likely software-related. The software is programmed to protect the battery from excessive depletion. So in very cold weather, the performance degrades so the software will derate the battery to protect it and that is what you are seeing. it also depends on whether Jeep designed this with a cooling/heating circuit with engine coolant or a separate electrical cooling circuit. If the battery can't take advantage of the engine coolant to keep it warm then in cold temps, increasing portion of the output power will go into keeping the battery warm. This will get worse with age. If you live in a severe cold environment, your power degradation will get worse and in a few years you will end up barely getting 15 miles or less of EV range and will be little more than just lugging the 400lbs or so battery around with not much real value. :(

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
I'm definitely not getting similar results, no change in power at all. Get it checked out.
Same here. Highs in the 40s but temps in the 20s here when I drive it to work. No power loss and limited loss of range at those temps (still running about 21-23 miles on battery.)

Keep us posted!

BeachPilot74

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 2013 F-F150
Occupation
Airline Pilot
This is why I will never own a full electric vehicle.
Sponsored