DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I did a quick google search of KP Glass but did not come up with much so I included a screen shot of the logo, View attachment 285242 local glass guys I talked to have not heard of it...Also, as they show on their video they have lots of chips and one really bad hit low on the glass. It would seem that this glass chips as easily as the OEM but tends not to spread as bad.
View attachment 285242
All glass chips. The cracking is the problem, not the chips. Ask me how I know. I had two crack in the first year. My JK took a HUGE rock and cracked, but not nearly as badly. The replacement has had several stone hits and repairs, but has held up for over 100,000 miles and 9 years. It doesn't crack nearly as easily as my first two JL windshields.

The good news is that my latest windshield, which is OEM, took a pretty good rock last weekend and chipped slightly but did not crack.....yet.
Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
All glass chips. The cracking is the problem, not the chips. Ask me how I know. I had two crack in the first year. My JK took a HUGE rock and cracked, but not nearly as badly. The replacement has had several stone hits and repairs, but has held up for over 100,000 miles and 9 years. It doesn't crack nearly as easily as my first two JL windshields.

The good news is that my latest windshield, which is OEM, took a pretty good rock last weekend and chipped slightly but did not crack.....yet.
Todays thin / lightweight windshields chip and crack far easier and far more often than the thicker & heavier windshields in cars and trucks of yore...The lightweight windshield revolution was /is driven by ever increasing CAFE standards, however with newer developments in glass-such as Gorilla Glass, there is hope...Just need it for JL's!

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Watch the video again.
I've watched the video numerous times. I know he said they had the glass installed in Arkansas. I was simply pointing out that KP Glass is a custom glass shop. It's possible they designed and sent out a custom windshield which was installed. I've had glass/mirror work done at home and the shop I used is able to place a stamp like that on glass. They do it for warranty purposes, to prove the glass is what they installed.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've watched the video numerous times. I know he said they had the glass installed in Arkansas. I was simply pointing out that KP Glass is a custom glass shop. It's possible they designed and sent out a custom windshield which was installed. I've had glass/mirror work done at home and the shop I used is able to place a stamp like that on glass. They do it for warranty purposes, to prove the glass is what they installed.
Maybe so. I can't say I'm familiar with them. I can tell you, though, that if I lose another windshield, I'm going to do everything I can to find them and avoid the OEM.

I would think that there would be more aftermarket options appearing by now. Especially with the number of Wranglers and Gladiators on the road by now.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
LiteBrite on YouTube had a video recently where they went with a particular brand of aftermarket windshield and said it is holding up MUCH better. If I lose another and Gorilla Glass isn't out, I'll go with it. I'll find the video and get the brand name and will post it up.

I took a hard rock the other day on my 3rd windshield and it actually survived with a small chip. I was shocked. I've gone about a year without a crack. I'm crossing fingers.

I honestly don't know why they haven't come out with the Gorilla Glass yet. 18 months ago they told me it would be out in six months, so it shoudl have been on the market in January of 2019.

@JeepCares can you find out for us the status of the Gorilla Glass? These windshields have proven way too brittle. You'll sell the shit out of the Gorilla Glass if it ever gets to market.
Hi @DanW,

Thank you for tagging us. Unfortunately, we do not have a solid date at this time regarding Gorilla Glass. We will update you once we have more information.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

old man

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dodge challenger widebody hellcat, jeep wrangler jl sport s, ford escape
I have owned CJs, TJs, a JK and now a 2018 JL with currently 19,000 miles and have had the front windshield replaced 4 times with OEM glass!!
I have filed claim reports with JEEPCARES throughout this windshield ordeal and JEEP does not CARE! I am not a aggressive driver and all cracks came from minor chips that eventually cracked the length/width of the glass! Jeep/Mopar designed the JL and tried to decrease the total weight of this new model to increase MPG. Thinner engineered glass resulted in more chipped/cracked glass. FiatChryslerJeep needs to go back and engineer a stronger and safer glass if they plan to continue selling their products for the $$$ they want! I am a loyal diehard Jeep fan!!

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have owned CJs, TJs, a JK and now a 2018 JL with currently 19,000 miles and have had the front windshield replaced 4 times with OEM glass!!
I have filed claim reports with JEEPCARES throughout this windshield ordeal and JEEP does not CARE! I am not a aggressive driver and all cracks came from minor chips that eventually cracked the length/width of the glass! Jeep/Mopar designed the JL and tried to decrease the total weight of this new model to increase MPG. Thinner engineered glass resulted in more chipped/cracked glass. FiatChryslerJeep needs to go back and engineer a stronger and safer glass if they plan to continue selling their products for the $$$ they want! I am a loyal diehard Jeep fan!!

Yes, due to CAFE standards windshields have gotten thinner and lighter...resulting in far more chips and cracks. What minuscule savings of fuel and natural resources provided by these 'environmentally friendly' windshields are wiped out many times over by the constant replacement of said windshields...

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
Word from a good source says that Gorilla Glass is only a couple months away from being available. Anxiously awaiting!

urr2slo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Denali Duramax, Chevy Camaro, Jeep CJ7, C7 Corvette, MB S63
Word from a good source says that Gorilla Glass is only a couple months away from being available. Anxiously awaiting!
I sure hope so, on my 3rd windshield so far and it has 2 cracks and 4 stars in it already. I don’t plan on replacing it until a better option is available.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
I sure hope so, on my 3rd windshield so far and it has 2 cracks and 4 stars in it already. I don’t plan on replacing it until a better option is available.

Is there a better option for replacement yet? Just found a crack in our 2020 JL with 610 miles on it.

Sponsored

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a better option for replacement yet? Just found a crack in our 2020 JL with 610 miles on it.
That sucks. My 2020 jlu just got hit by a huge rock and cracked down the height of the windshield on the driver side. Also had 680 miles when it happened.

Dealing with insurance as I'm supposed to have a $100 deductible but they only want to cover $440 of the windshield install. Can't get oem glass installed for that price. Is there much of a difference between Mopar and aftermarket cheaper windshields? Is the Mopar windshield the best current oprion? Are any cheaper alternatives just as good?

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
my 2019 received it's first of 3 chips about a year ago at a dead stop on I25 in Colorado Springs, the wind kicked up sand and road debris(STUPID) over the last year it has gone full etch a sketch. it's kind of a joke and definitely a badge of honor. When it first happened I ran out to get it fixed until the window shop(s) quoted it at $350+. I laughed and walked out. I will not be replacing it until the cracks "obstruct" my vision, the window falls out of the frame or until the Gorilla Glass has been reviewed to be a better option. I really can't believe the price of these windows. my truck window was quoted at $175 and my wife's Equinox's window was $150 both windows which are twice the size of the Jeeps.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My 3rd windshield was installed by SafeLite. I think I've had it for well over a year, IIRC. It has all the Mopar labels and markings, but it has taken several good rock hits and hasn't chipped or cracked yet. If it is a Chinese knockoff, I'm glad. So far so good, knocking on wood.

@JeepCares we've all been waiting a LOOONNNNNGGGGGG time for that Gorilla Glass for JL. Any word on it yet? Clearly there's a large market for it. Any updates would be appreciated.

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well I am getting the MOPAR replacement next saturday and my $100 deductible will cover it. If I am paying $9 a month for windshield coverage I may as well use it.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My 3rd windshield was installed by SafeLite. I think I've had it for well over a year, IIRC. It has all the Mopar labels and markings, but it has taken several good rock hits and hasn't chipped or cracked yet. If it is a Chinese knockoff, I'm glad. So far so good, knocking on wood.

@JeepCares we've all been waiting a LOOONNNNNGGGGGG time for that Gorilla Glass for JL. Any word on it yet? Clearly there's a large market for it. Any updates would be appreciated.
Hi @DanW,

At this time, we do not have a solid ETA for you. We appreciate your patience.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored