windshield replacement

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport s
has anyone replaced the windshield yet? and who was it through? i had a safe lite tech come out yesterday and she failed miserably to fix a crack smaller than a penny. just called to get the whole windshield replaced and the rep that i talked to asked if my wrangler had the gps nav and i said yes, but i dont. so lets hope i get the upgraded glass!

i also advise if anyone is getting their windshield repaired or replaced to be there and watch the tech. it made me cringe so hard when she tried to wipe her sweat off my wrangler with the rough white paper towel and glass cleaner. luckily i stopped her on time. but she had still left the repair residue all over my black paint.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
just called to get the whole windshield replaced and the rep that i talked to asked if my wrangler had the gps nav and i said yes, but i dont. so lets hope i get the upgraded glass!
Sorry , I simply do not understand this sentence . Was it a Jeep rep ? Will they replace glass under warranty ? What is the upgraded glass ?

OP
OP
Tpham

Tpham

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler sport s
Sorry , I simply do not understand this sentence . Was it a Jeep rep ? Will they replace glass under warranty ? What is the upgraded glass ?
Safe lite rep and not under warranty. It's being dealt with my insurance. The upgraded glass is the one they use with the wranglers that have the Alpine upgrade. But apparently I have it in mines too. It too says acoustical on it and I have the 7 inch uconnect.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Nevermind. I'm glad it worked out. It is probably cheaper to make just one kind of glass for all of them.

Has anybody found pricing or availability of the Gorilla Glass Mopar was allegedly going to offer?

Sponsored

STR1KER

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I'm in this situation right now - chip spread to the crack. Heading to the dealership now. I have the alpine stereo upgrade w/ the 7" screen. Going to ask for the OEM Gorilla Glass upgrade if they have it avail, and will get a price quote if possible. Hoping they can get it and replace it before Fri, as we're heading out of state for the weekend. MD doesn't have the "no deductible" thing, so it's gunna be an insurance claim. Bummed about that!
**EDIT #1**
Called my insurance rep, (State Farm). They do *NOT* offer the monthly cost just for windshield coverage. It will go against your deductible EVERY time something happens. So, I dropped the COMP side from $500 to $50.
I just got a call from my Parts & Service guy at the dealership. He said it's no problem to replace it, and he's not sure if the OEM has the Gorilla Glass out yet or not. He's checking on the pricing of the acoustic glass and also to see if the Gorilla Glass is avail yet.
On a side note: He also wanted to know if our windshield has "rain sense", (whereas your windshield washers kick on when rain starts), I told him no. I didn't even know that was a "thing". LOL
Will post amounts when he calls back.
**EDIT #2**
Just spoke w/ my Parts / service guy. It's $675.00 for windshield & install total. It's acoustic, it's a brand new model, and therefore still way up there in price. The Gorilla Glass is not available "yet". "YET" I think is a key word, and THAT sounds promising, LOL
They will be replacing it tomorrow at 10am.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in this situation right now - chip spread to the crack. Heading to the dealership now. I have the alpine stereo upgrade w/ the 7" screen. Going to ask for the OEM Gorilla Glass upgrade if they have it avail, and will get a price quote if possible. Hoping they can get it and replace it before Fri, as we're heading out of state for the weekend. MD doesn't have the "no deductible" thing, so it's gunna be an insurance claim. Bummed about that!
**EDIT #1**
Called my insurance rep, (State Farm). They do *NOT* offer the monthly cost just for windshield coverage. It will go against your deductible EVERY time something happens. So, I dropped the COMP side from $500 to $50.
I just got a call from my Parts & Service guy at the dealership. He said it's no problem to replace it, and he's not sure if the OEM has the Gorilla Glass out yet or not. He's checking on the pricing of the acoustic glass and also to see if the Gorilla Glass is avail yet.
On a side note: He also wanted to know if our windshield has "rain sense", (whereas your windshield washers kick on when rain starts), I told him no. I didn't even know that was a "thing". LOL
Will post amounts when he calls back.
**EDIT #2**
Just spoke w/ my Parts / service guy. It's $675.00 for windshield & install total. It's acoustic, it's a brand new model, and therefore still way up there in price. The Gorilla Glass is not available "yet". "YET" I think is a key word, and THAT sounds promising, LOL
They will be replacing it tomorrow at 10am.
@JeepCares also told me the Gorilla Glass windshield is in development, but is not ready yet. That deal your dealership is giving you is good. Safelite quoted me about $930, done at my house. They messed up and broke my replacement windshield after I waited an entire afternoon for them, with no call. They are knocking 250 off the price, plus, I'll be having them do it at their shop to save another 50, so I'll be looking at about $630. This, of course, is for the Mopar acoustic glass.

Man, I wish that Gorilla Glass was out now.

STR1KER

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeepCares also told me the Gorilla Glass windshield is in development, but is not ready yet. That deal your dealership is giving you is good. Safelite quoted me about $930, done at my house. They messed up and broke my replacement windshield after I waited an entire afternoon for them, with no call. They are knocking 250 off the price, plus, I'll be having them do it at their shop to save another 50, so I'll be looking at about $630. This, of course, is for the Mopar acoustic glass.

Sorry I'm late on the update:

Man, been so busy I haven't had time to update:
The glass brought to the dealership was incorrect. It did NOT have the Jeep graphics, and it did NOT have the hidden compass graphics embedded (3 top/3 bottom). So he told the installer not to do the work as it's not what I requested.
He called and said it would take 2 weeks to get the CORRECT glass in for replacement. It would be $675 for their cost, then a 35% mark up from the dealership, bringing it up over the $900 mark.
I called my insurance guy and told him what was up, and we need to get it fixed ASAP, as the crack had then expanded to almost a foot.
He said he contacted the State Farm Preferred Company, and they we shipping the glass from NJ. Since there are no non-OE glass replacements yet, it would be coming straight from Jeep w/ the graphics, matched to the VIN#.
It was to be in by yesterday or Monday. We knew it wouldnt be replaced before our trip, and he let the company know to hold the glass.
We are currently in NH/VT this weekend, and it has only spread by an inch. We will have it replaced as soon as we get back to MD on Monday if it's in and ready.
Apparently, it's called USA Glass or something like that. They can either come to the house to do it or you can take it to the shop. Personally, I want it fixed in the shop. I will def be inspecting it prior to replacement to make sure it's exactly the one that is supposed to be on there and not a generic of some sort.
My insurance guy said the price difference is significantly more as it's coming directly from Jeep. Luckily, there aren't any non-OE replacements. If there was, we would more than likely be required to pay the difference to have the Jeep shield with the graphics.
The other bonus about having the preferred company fixing it, is that itsi a lifetime guarantee if it chips or cracks. It's a free replacement. So.... It had better be replacing the exact same model, being the one with graphics hahahaha
Now I have a question:
Since we are in the Sunapee, NH region for the weekend.... Are there any good trails to hit around here? Lolol
Have a great weekend, everyone!
~STR1KER

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I'm late on the update:

Man, been so busy I haven't had time to update:
The glass brought to the dealership was incorrect. It did NOT have the Jeep graphics, and it did NOT have the hidden compass graphics embedded (3 top/3 bottom). So he told the installer not to do the work as it's not what I requested.
He called and said it would take 2 weeks to get the CORRECT glass in for replacement. It would be $675 for their cost, then a 35% mark up from the dealership, bringing it up over the $900 mark.
I called my insurance guy and told him what was up, and we need to get it fixed ASAP, as the crack had then expanded to almost a foot.
He said he contacted the State Farm Preferred Company, and they we shipping the glass from NJ. Since there are no non-OE glass replacements yet, it would be coming straight from Jeep w/ the graphics, matched to the VIN#.
It was to be in by yesterday or Monday. We knew it wouldnt be replaced before our trip, and he let the company know to hold the glass.
We are currently in NH/VT this weekend, and it has only spread by an inch. We will have it replaced as soon as we get back to MD on Monday if it's in and ready.
Apparently, it's called USA Glass or something like that. They can either come to the house to do it or you can take it to the shop. Personally, I want it fixed in the shop. I will def be inspecting it prior to replacement to make sure it's exactly the one that is supposed to be on there and not a generic of some sort.
My insurance guy said the price difference is significantly more as it's coming directly from Jeep. Luckily, there aren't any non-OE replacements. If there was, we would more than likely be required to pay the difference to have the Jeep shield with the graphics.
The other bonus about having the preferred company fixing it, is that itsi a lifetime guarantee if it chips or cracks. It's a free replacement. So.... It had better be replacing the exact same model, being the one with graphics hahahaha
Now I have a question:
Since we are in the Sunapee, NH region for the weekend.... Are there any good trails to hit around here? Lolol
Have a great weekend, everyone!
~STR1KER
When they say guarantee against chips or cracks, does that actually mean they'll replace it free if a rock nails it and cracks it, or is it just if the glass is somehow defective and chips or cracks on its own?

STR1KER

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I'm just getting back to this thread...

They said 100% free replacement for chips, cracks, breaks; it doesn't matter how it happens.
Here's the kicker:
It's STILL not fixed.

Apparently, there's not one replacement, (original glass, as that's all they have at the moment), in the ENTIRE COUNTRY, per the replacement company, "Glass America". They are on back order per Jeep. Therefore, I'm subject to driving w/ this crack, expanding daily until it can be replaced. Thank goodness it started in the upper right hand corner of the passenger side. It's now come diagonal across the passenger viewpoint over a foot long.

This sucks. More to come as it unfolds.

Have a solid & safe week, Everyone...
~STR1KER :rock:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I'm just getting back to this thread...

They said 100% free replacement for chips, cracks, breaks; it doesn't matter how it happens.
Here's the kicker:
It's STILL not fixed.

Apparently, there's not one replacement, (original glass, as that's all they have at the moment), in the ENTIRE COUNTRY, per the replacement company, "Glass America". They are on back order per Jeep. Therefore, I'm subject to driving w/ this crack, expanding daily until it can be replaced. Thank goodness it started in the upper right hand corner of the passenger side. It's now come diagonal across the passenger viewpoint over a foot long.

This sucks. More to come as it unfolds.

Have a solid & safe week, Everyone...
~STR1KER :rock:
You should check with Safe Lite. They broke my first replacement before even getting to my house. They then said they had two in stock in Chicago. They ordered one for me and it took about a week. They did a nice job of installing it, taking a little over an hour. It is 100% the right OEM glass. I'd bet they can get one for you.

They told me lifetime guarantee, so I need to check the fine print. That is awesome if they cover it even with rocks hitting it. I just couldn't imagine they'd want to cover that.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

STR1KER

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I just got back from Glass America in Laurel, MD. Patrick, the guy that installed it, did a mighty fine job. It's the Mopar glass w/ the Willy's logo Jeep in the bottom right corner. However, I do NOT see the 6 compasses (3 top, 3 bottom) that show up when the window fogs. It might be because, well - there's no fog, or it might be an indicator for original vs replacement. Regardless, it's fixed and it's awesome.
I double checked the warranty - it's LIMITED - to only air/water leaks. If there's a rock chip or break? Forget it. Paid the $50 deductible and came home. Good to go.

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
@STR1KER I am reading through this thread and giggling a little. I have to check if you’re joking or not about the “hidden” compasses on the windshield. You may like them but it has been determined these are undesired residue markings left over from the factory suction cups holding the windshield during attachment. Obviously undesired possibles being subjective in your case. In short, they are not supposed to be there and won’t be “included” on replacement windshields. This whole response is based on me assuming those at what you are referring to. Haven’t heard of any other compasses.
Sponsored