windshield replacement

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
@STR1KER I am reading through this thread and giggling a little. I have to check if you’re joking or not about the “hidden” compasses on the windshield. You may like them but it has been determined these are undesired residue markings left over from the factory suction cups holding the windshield during attachment. Obviously undesired possibles being subjective in your case. In short, they are not supposed to be there and won’t be “included” on replacement windshields. This whole response is based on me assuming those at what you are referring to. Haven’t heard of any other compasses.
I had the same thought you did in regards to the “compasses”.
Sponsored

STR1KER

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Yup, I thought that it was residue originally. They're on the replacement glass as well. Even the original glass, ya couldn't wash them off inside or outside. The USA Glass guy had no idea they were there til I showed him on both the original and the replacement. He agreed. It's actually IN the glass somehow, or they've found a way to do an imprinted Easter egg. They are there to stay. I don't mind 'em, LOL

Circlep

First Name
DeWayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 04Chevy 2500HD/ duramax, Yamaha Royal Star Venture
My windshield and my driver side rear glass in the hard top is cracked. Last Friday I got behind a log truck and when he hit a bump my jeep was peppered with rocks,:angry: Now my windshield has a crack halfway across and the rear glass is cracked from the top to the bottom. I didn't even have a chance to get them repaired. Is the glass in the JL's that bad that a small peak makes a crack run across the glass immediately? :facepalm: This could get expensive! Has anyone had the side glass in their hardtop crack?

Update: Called the dealer and the glass for my hardtop will not be available until November!:facepalm:

Last edited:

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just to add to the issue. I picked up a small rock chip on the freeway resulting in a small crack , less than an inch in length. Surprising how difficult it has been to get it resolved. Can not find anyone that knows anything about "gorilla glass" for a 2018 Jeep JL. Been quoted replacement costs running from $1300.00 at the dealer to about $600. from independent shop. All using OE Mopar "acoustic" glass with the Willys Jeep in the right lower corner. Looks like I will try and repair the current windshield for around $75 as I think this is going to be a recurring problem for this vehicle.
By the way one shop told me "acoustic" glass is available in both OE and knock off windshields. The cost for the after market windshields are running around $300.00 which may be a consideration if i have to replace them at every oil change..... ;)
I will also mention those who are considering using the dealer to make the replacement. many if not all are using an outside vendor to do the install. That outside vendor usually will deal direct with the end user (thats you). That can save several hundred dollars in mark up the dealership is charging us.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Lar
No forum member has ever mentioned any use / install of a "knock off windshield", so I think that person, at that "independent shop", was blowing smoke up your ass.

As for Gorilla Glass, a Gorilla Glass Windshield for a JL is not available at this time. We know it is coming but not here yet.

I think Safelite Auto Glass is the best bet for a source and install of the OEM Mopar Acoustic Windshield for the JL. I base this on the many forum member's here that have said they used Safelite. Safelite also is able to get the windshields quickly according to past / recent forum posts.

Below, find a Safelite Auto Glass receipt, that lists/shows clearly their part number for the windshield should you decide to use them. Their prices are very good also in comparison to others it seems.

I will also upload here a pic of the windshield.

safelite receipt - JL Windshield.jpg

JLacoustical glass.JPG

Sponsored

Threxx

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR HT 3.6AT
@Rhinebeck01 - Am I reading that correctly? $166.68 for an OEM acoustic windshield on a JL??
Plus $133 for labor and $30 for a kit. So that would be $329.68 plus tax?

I just went to safelite.com and it quoted me $544.98

I'd sure love to know how your price was so low.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 - Am I reading that correctly? $166.68 for an OEM acoustic windshield on a JL??
Plus $133 for labor and $30 for a kit. So that would be $329.68 plus tax?

I just went to safelite.com and it quoted me $544.98

I'd sure love to know how your price was so low.
Not my receipt.. but it was for the needed "Acoustic" windshield for a JL. Was another forum member's receipt. Another 2 or so guys reported similar pricing. I posted the receipt so basically, you and other's would have the Safelite part number. I'm sure locale and availability, etc. may impact the actual pricing of part and or labor.

BE SURE YOU USE THE PART NUMBER ON THE SAFELITE RECEIPT.

Threxx

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR HT 3.6AT
Not my receipt.. but it was for the needed "Acoustic" windshield for a JL. Was another forum member's receipt. Another 2 or so guys reported similar pricing. I posted the receipt so basically, you and other's would have the Safelite part number. I'm sure locale and availability, etc. may impact the actual pricing of part and or labor.

BE SURE YOU USE THE PART NUMBER ON THE SAFELITE RECEIPT.
It's hard for me to imagine the same windshield from the same company would be over 50% more expensive just because of where I live. I live in Memphis, and stuff here tends to cost about the same or less than it does in most other parts of the country. It's certainly no LA or NYC.

I'm not trying to argue with you at all, by the way, I'm just trying to get to the root of the pricing difference.

When I went to safelite.com it did not give me any opportunity to type in a part number, nor did it indicate to me the part number they'd be using. It just asked a couple questions to confirm I had a JL and not a JK, and then it asked if I had a wire attached to the windshield by the passenger side sun visor... I assume for home link. They actually never even asked anything that would determine whether I had an acoustic windshield or not. Maybe I'll just try calling them instead.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
It's hard for me to imagine the same windshield from the same company would be over 50% more expensive just because of where I live. I live in Memphis, and stuff here tends to cost about the same or less than it does in most other parts of the country. It's certainly no LA or NYC.

I'm not trying to argue with you at all, by the way, I'm just trying to get to the root of the pricing difference.

When I went to safelite.com it did not give me any opportunity to type in a part number, nor did it indicate to me the part number they'd be using. It just asked a couple questions to confirm I had a JL and not a JK, and then it asked if I had a wire attached to the windshield by the passenger side sun visor... I assume for home link. They actually never even asked anything that would determine whether I had an acoustic windshield or not. Maybe I'll just try calling them instead.
Why would a wire be attached to the windshield ? Why not buy one from Mopar ( pay Mopar parts ) ?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Threxx

Kyle, A month or so ago we did have a forum member post that a glass outfit had installed a windshield on his JL that had two wires dangling from the top. I posted to him he had gotten a windshield that obviously fit but that was not the correct offering for the JL.

Anyway, DO call Safelite with your telephone and talk to them. Give them the exact Safelite part number that is on the receipt I posted. That is the correct ACOUSTICAL windshield for the 2018 2 dr. JL or 4 dr. JL.

As for the 2 wires..... NO, you do not want a windshield with 2 wires. For the record, HomeLink pad is on the JL driver's visor and has nada to do with the windshield.

Hey, let us know how you make out. Can tell you Safelite is aok to deal with. I would not even consider going to the Jeep dealer for a winndshield replacement.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I lost my 2nd windshield in Moab. Jeep says the Gorilla Glass won't show up until Q2 2019. The last one I got from Safelite was quoted at 850 bucks. They discounted it by 200 because their guy broke it. Have the prices come down? $588 doesn't sound so painful to me. I guess I'll be calling them tomorrow.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would a wire be attached to the windshield ? Why not buy one from Mopar ( pay Mopar parts ) ?
Mute point.... because there is presently no, aftermarket windshield for the 2018 JL. IF you get a windshield from Safelite, etc., for a JL, it is in fact a Mopar windshield.

See my last post in regard to the wire thing. Were I that guy that I mentioned, no way in hell, would I have accepted a windshield with 2 unnecessary wires dangling from it..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I lost my 2nd windshield in Moab. Jeep says the Gorilla Glass won't show up until Q2 2019. The last one I got from Safelite was quoted at 850 bucks. They discounted it by 200 because their guy broke it. Have the prices come down? $588 doesn't sound so painful to me. I guess I'll be calling them tomorrow.
@DanW

Do call them versus using their website. Give them the exact Safelite part number that is shown on the receipt I posted earlier. Let us know how you make out.. price wise, etc..

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW

Do call them versus using their website. Give them the exact Safelite part number that is shown on the receipt I posted earlier. Let us know how you make out.. price wise, etc..
WIll do! Thanks!

Maltahami

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep rubicon
Are u guys changing your wipers as well with the new windshield?
Sponsored