Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday brought this into perspective for me. Wife and I needed to do a COSTCO run. It had been like 2-3 months since we had been there and we are usually in there once or twice a month. Wanted to get enough that we didn’t need to go back for awhile.

So I flip folded the back seat in the Jeep, got it strapped down, gosh I like the way that works, and had the Jeep ready to go.

$500+ dollars later……UGH, I noticed it was almost 5:00 on the wrong side of town, so I decided to go cross lots to get home. Great idea and more time in the Jeep.

As we went home I asked the wife, ”So which is better? The 2022 Mustang Convertible we rented for a week in Florida in February, or the New to us Jeep we brought home from Tenneesee?” Of course we both liked BOTH vehicles, but she said the Jeep made more sense for us as a Senior Couple.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
What’s going “cross lots”?

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
What’s going “cross lots”?
Instead of going on the main drags and highways, you take the roads less travelled. I used to drive a tanker truck in this area and really learned which way to get around here at certain hours. It may be longer in miles, but shorter in time and so much less frustration.

I also really can’t use CarPlay in my Jeep because it’s got the cheap base radio on it. I only use it for my phone charger and use of the phone hands free. I love my Basic Jeep for that. It takes me back in time a bit. We went down to a craft fair the other weekend, and coming back saw a seasonal use road that I knew would cut some time off out ride, but give me and the Jeep some DIRT time. I’d been tempted to do that in my DD 2020 Outback but always backed off. With the Jeep I said to myself…..GO FOR IT!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
Classic Jeep proportions, easy to park, easy to manoeuvre, practical enough to be somewhat sensible, impractical enough to be fun, lighter than the 4 door so a hair faster, many more reasons.

We have one of each and while I like my wife’s 4xE Rubicon I love my 2 door Rubicon. I think I also have the rear storage dialled in pretty well now so it’s fairly practical for longer trips.

2drjl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl 2 door
As I've posted in various threads, my wife has a 4-Door Sport and I have a 2-Door. Due to life's circumstances, I had to take my child with me on errands the last few weeks. I always chose to drive the 2-Door, even with a baby seat in the back. I realized that even though I have to play Jenga when I get back from the store to remove the bags, I always chose the 2-Door because I find it more fun to drive. It got me thinking about what specifically makes it fun. For me, it is mostly these things in combination:

Short Wheelbase
Gearing (I have 4.88s to her stock Sport gears)
Manual Trans

It makes me feel like I'm driving some crazy go-cart made of tractor parts.

So, what makes your 2-Door fun to drive?
As a bonus, I've removed the back seats, so now I don't have the option of a Jeep full of people killing my natural Jeep high.... Just the dogs.

IMG_20230117_101842_492.jpg

20230114_135322.jpg

20230114_135256.jpg

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Instead of going on the main drags and highways, you take the roads less travelled. I used to drive a tanker truck in this area and really learned which way to get around here at certain hours. It may be longer in miles, but shorter in time and so much less frustration.

I also really can’t use CarPlay in my Jeep because it’s got the cheap base radio on it. I only use it for my phone charger and use of the phone hands free. I love my Basic Jeep for that. It takes me back in time a bit. We went down to a craft fair the other weekend, and coming back saw a seasonal use road that I knew would cut some time off out ride, but give me and the Jeep some DIRT time. I’d been tempted to do that in my DD 2020 Outback but always backed off. With the Jeep I said to myself…..GO FOR IT!
I've always called that "taking the backroads."

Sponsored

Futura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata RF, Ridgeline
I was initially attracted to the classic look of a two door jeep. I was thrilled that it fit into our super shed/golf cart sized garage and I bought it. It's a joy to park and even shorter than our 2017 Miata!

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Same reason a 250cc bike is fun on the track... smaller, lighter and effortless to fling around :)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Regarding the original question: might be partly because 2-doors have higher front spring rate than 4-doors.
No, it just comes down to badassery :)

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Same reason a 250cc bike is fun on the track... smaller, lighter and effortless to fling around :)
Especially a 2 stroker!
Sponsored