• Total voters

Shiner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
If I was going to sell a JL to get another.... then the only option would be the 392. I've seen comments here about simplicity... but that engine is truly the least complicated powertrain offering.. And oh yeah... all that power.

The 392... every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Since that's not an option here, I'd just keep my current JL.
Sponsored

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Ah yes, because maintenance is just oil changes. All vehicles are great if you never ever have to do any repairs. Just wait until you shell a high pressure fuel pump or need injectors.
DEF exists along with the horrible exhaust regulating system.
Been driving diesels for many years - have two of them now. NEVER have had to change a high pressure fuel pump or an injector. The gas engines have their problems too...took a screen shot of what a gas engine Jeep owner posted not long ago. Places I take my Jeep this message would cause a real problem!
Jeep Wrangler JL Which powertrain would you get? Jeep warnin

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I bought and order the V6 e-torque, but the 4Xe wasn't shipping at the time. I had thought about the 4Xe, but looking back I am glad I didn't buy the 4Xe, I would like to see a few more years under the belt before I buy one. I had a Diesel TDI VW which wasn't very reliable; I like driving it but I wouldn't get another one.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
^This.
I suppose if you take your rig back to the dealer and let them do the oil changes, charging list prices for oil and filters and for the labor to do the job, it would be expensive. If you do the maintenance yourself the cost isn't nearly as high.

I've been driving diesels for more years than I can remember. Own two of them now - one is the "modern" diesel with emission controls. No issues...with the new diesel, I have seen the light come on indicating that a regeneration process is going on but if it weren't for the light I wouldn't have known. Driving diesels has spoiled me - I love how all that low end torque allows me to sail up over the high mountain passes around here without shifting down while getting much better fuel mileage than a gas engine. Makes me grit my teeth when driving up a mountain with a gas engine and the engine is screaming along over 4000 rpm.

I heard rumors a year or so ago that Jeep was developing another straight 6 engine (similar to the one that powered Jeeps for years) but a modern one with a turbo, much more horsepower, and mega-low end torque. If Jeep would just offer that engine in the Wrangler that would be my choice. I want low-end torque off road, not horsepower. Why I'm still driving my 2006 Rubicon! Only current Jeep engine that offers good low end torque now is the diesel.
Yes, give your sample size of one. Or you can look at real data and see the average cost of repairs for Diesel engines. There are fleets of trucks across the country falling apart because of EPA exhaust regulations. There is a reason that people delete them.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Been driving diesels for many years - have two of them now. NEVER have had to change a high pressure fuel pump or an injector. The gas engines have their problems too...took a screen shot of what a gas engine Jeep owner posted not long ago. Places I take my Jeep this message would cause a real problem!
Jeep Wrangler JL Which powertrain would you get? Jeep warnin
You will have to buy injectors. It’s inevitable. All parts fail eventually, you just need to put enough miles on them.

Sponsored

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
Questions for EcoDiesel owners:
  1. Have you had any issues taking your JL off-road with those giant bumpstops?
  2. Does the Mopar lift get rid of the bumpstops or they remain?
What are the “giant bump stops”

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What are the “giant bump stops”
These —ignore the arrows; see the bumpstop inside the coil spring. The EcoDiesel bumpstops reach two-thirds down the length of the springs
Jeep Wrangler JL Which powertrain would you get? 1635213130066

This guy measured only 2 inches of travel
Jeep Wrangler JL Which powertrain would you get? 1635213235865

Here’s another view
Jeep Wrangler JL Which powertrain would you get? 1635213508730

Apparently it is the only way to control all that weight from bottoming out the front of the Jeep.

Deleted member 59498

Are those hydraulic stops Aldo? Cause GSL is sure stretching her legs in his avatar.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
4Xe. Love my 2.0 T and to be honest the 4Xe is prob perfect for me because the VAST majority of my trips are under 20 miles. Id be all electric all the time.

But….I just don’t want a 4 door.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
These —ignore the arrows; see the bumpstop inside the coil spring. The EcoDiesel bumpstops reach two-thirds down the length of the springs

This guy measured only 2 inches of travel

Here’s another view

Apparently it is the only way to control all that weight from bottoming out the front of the Jeep.
What is silly is that isn't what bump stops are for. That is just arbitrarily lowering the point where it "bottoms out". Normally set at the height that keeps the tires out of the fenders.

Sponsored

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
You will have to buy injectors. It’s inevitable. All parts fail eventually, you just need to put enough miles on them.
Of course! Applies to gas engines also. I have a very good friend with a 2021 Ram 1500, 5.7 V8. Just had a bad injector changed under warranty. On the other hand, I have a 60 year old John Deere diesel that is still on the original injectors.

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Of course! Applies to gas engines also. I have a very good friend with a 2021 Ram 1500, 5.7 V8. Just had an bad injector changed under warranty. On the other hand, I have a 60 year old John Deere diesel that is still on the original injectors.
LMAO. A $60 plastic port injector vs a single injector for the ecodiesel at $329 list (albeit, probably the cheapest diesel fuel injectors on the market)

Deleted member 59498

LMAO. A $60 plastic port injector vs a single injector for the ecodiesel at $329 list (albeit, probably the cheapest diesel fuel injectors on the market)
Any idea how long they may last? Probably can google but just curious.

OP
OP
aldo98229

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Are those hydraulic stops Aldo? Cause GSL is sure stretching her legs in his avatar.
They look like the stock EcoDiesel stops.

Yeah, that’s why I would like to know if EcoDiesel owners are finding the bumpstops getting in the way on the trail or not, and if so, if they are replacing them with aftermarket stops.
Sponsored