Which model should I buy- Rubicon or?

Brenden

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon unlimited manual, 2021 Ram 1500 ecodiesel crew
I am a “non-rubicon owner” and guess what I can do any trail a rubicon can no problems. I spent a total of 5k on my upgrades and I like my sports look better than a rubicon. Its people like you that give the jeep community a bad name because unless you have a rubicon it’s can’t do anything. More people buy rubicon’s that have them washed and waxed every week and never see dirt.

212CD4B6-6687-4D72-BCE6-3CF094042ADC.jpeg
43,690 rubicon
37,185 sport S

$6500 is the difference don't have to get you panties in a bunch.

Dana 44s, lockers, gearing, roctrac transfer case, sway bar disconnect, bigger display in between gauges, offroad plus, universal door opener, rock sliders, 33s, longer travel shocks and 1.5 inch lift all make up the $6500. $1500 more than you spent. You blatantly saying your sport can do every single trail a rubicon can seems like your trying to justify not getting a rubicon.
Sponsored

Rlhdude

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Limited Willys
Damn, did not realize I needed a Rubicon for rough an fun off-roading ??!! I guess I will just drive my Willys to the mall from now on.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
43,690 rubicon
37,185 sport S

$6500 is the difference don't have to get you panties in a bunch.

Dana 44s, lockers, gearing, roctrac transfer case, sway bar disconnect, bigger display in between gauges, offroad plus, universal door opener, rock sliders, 33s, longer travel shocks and 1.5 inch lift all make up the $6500. $1500 more than you spent. You blatantly saying your sport can do every single trail a rubicon can seems like your trying to justify not getting a rubicon.
5k includes my tires and wheels. All the rubicon’s out there going to 35’s like I did is at least another 2.5k( be honest most rubicon’s go to 37’s so they put a lift on) I have a universal garage door opener, rock sliders I bought off a rubicon(money wasted by that buyer) sway bar disconnect only does one side where I have both. So again sports end up on the spend less money and be just as capable. Good try though.

jeme

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I am selling my Rubicon Recon, 2020, 3600 miles. Central Florida. It is listed in the sale section and is loaded. Please make me an offer.

Brenden

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon unlimited manual, 2021 Ram 1500 ecodiesel crew
5k includes my tires and wheels. All the rubicon’s out there going to 35’s like I did is at least another 2.5k( be honest most rubicon’s go to 37’s so they put a lift on) I have a universal garage door opener, rock sliders I bought off a rubicon(money wasted by that buyer) sway bar disconnect only does one side where I have both. So again sports end up on the spend less money and be just as capable. Good try though.
Your still missing lockers, 4:1 transfer case and regearing diffs. It all depends on end goals of the owner on whether or not sports are more budget friendly.

I'm not arguing the fact that a sport with limited slip can make it down almost all trails either. I know it can. Just your sports are cheaper to make just as capable inference.

Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest getting a spreadsheet out and comparing what sport you plan to build (and after market parts) and compare that to similar sahara and rubicon and see if the extra $ is worth it ... I got a sport s but, hindsight, should have done a sahara doe the little things ...

Donta1979

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 & 2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When it comes to value the Rubicon and the Sport/Sport Unlimited hold their value the best. If you are not going to do much to it get the Rubicon. If you know you are going to swap out everything and only have the hood, its decals, the side lettering, and your interior left I would strongly suggest a Sport/Sport Unlimited.

Many a Rubicon owners in our Jeep group have literally swapped out everything and just have those things I mentioned left everything else is gone including the axles and gears. They will tell you they wish they got a base Sport/Unlimited Sport. Now if you could had gotten a Rubicon during the middle of the pandemic for around 41k base to a 49-50k fully loaded yes people got them for that little I would say a Rubicon hands down. The reason those individuals say that is when you buy a Rubicon you do pay for all those extra's and if you are going to tear them off have to give them away or not even get half of what you paid for them you are burning money away.

Take my build for example just a JLU Sport 31k 36k after taxes. No gears/nor axles of the Rubicon Those will have to come so add another 7-10k if I go with gears and axles, about 2-3k for gears on top of my 9,588.74 I already spent in just upgrades. 9k down payment, then what they gave me for my trade in, and then the 2600 or so I have paid in monthly payments all since April 15th. Now if I got a Rubicon the wheels/tires would had come off I would had spent about 3900-4500 on 18" Wheels and 37" tires. about 3k+ for 5.13 gears to make sure I keep 8th gear at all times with the 37''s. Then lift choices I would have had to go straight to Rock Krawlers/Rusty's/Metalcloak/TeraFlex with at least a 3.5" lift as well. I would had probably spent way more on upgrading and ripping a Rubicon apart on a 41k"Pandemic base Rubicon Price"-60k Jeep. That's just me a Rubicon would not had been the best plan. For someone who is going to buy a Rubicon and leave it alone its amazing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rocky4by

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Ram cummins
Thanks so much for all the replies, I have been reading all them to try and help with my decision. I also am waiting on a few more quotes to come in, I did receive one quote for 48k and some change OTD, which I thought was pretty good for a Rubicon. We do use all our vehicles really hard, down in Baja and will be used some for a chase and support for the Baja 1000/500 races as we race a class 10 buggy. And then here where we live in Oregon it will get used in the mountains every way one can imagine;) If I go with the sport, I would be adding lockers, 2.5 lift kit, wheels+tires which I would do to the Rubicon to. Probably should go with a bare bones Rubicon, but I'll see what offers come in this week, also maybe make it out to the dealers again for a 4 or 6 look at what is on the lot, I know they are getting tired of me showing up and not buying:LOL: Below is a few photos of our class 10 car, I think the Jeep will fit right in with it.

20171110_143324.jpg

20170920_101338.jpg

Fuzzy Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon

Not sure where your getting the 2.5k ?.....35 will fit on stock rims and stock height on a rubi and not rub...

I paid 1900 for rims and tires.....then sold my stock rims and tires to a sport owner for 1k...

So I'm out 900...

OP

If your going to baja to chase... it would be nice to have lockers in case you need to pull rigs out....I have helped on the baja 500 and 1k and a bunch or vegas to reno races and some BITD races....for light wheeling and dirt trails a sport with a ls in the rear and locker in front work fine...

To have fun with no stress in moab wheeling...a stock rubi with stock tires will get you down 80 percent of the trails...the 4.1 xfer case works great in the rocks for slow speed tech stuff..but not needed for mild trails at all...

But something to be said for wider axles, 4.1, and can fit 35 at stock height ....and the rubi does hold its value during trade In.

I also got a great deal, as I bought my 2019 in feb of 2020 so more incentives to get the 2019 off the lot...I got an additional 5k off the jeep plus the other incentives...just could not be picky about color :)

Johnczar4

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 Wrangler Sport S
Believe it boils to A can you afford it B are you planning to wheel?
Live in NJ. Need to be able to get to work no matter the conditions, but not doing any crazy off roading. Got a 2019 Sport s for $39500 (msrp 44000). Was debating Sport S vs Rubi. Similar package Rubi would have run me $49k. 14 months and 24,000 miles later I’ve added the Rubi takeoff rims and 33’s, rock sliders and Rubi suspension that gave me additional 2 1/4” for an additional $1700 total - putting me at $41,200. For me the additional $7800 not worth it, because not wheeling. If you plan on it- go Rubi.
This from a happy Sport S owner.

4F820052-F14A-45F4-AF95-CED2CCB5A9E8.jpeg

Sponsored

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Ok now that I have switched my order from a Gladiator to ordering a diesel Wrangler. I am trying to decide which model would be best.
Is it best to just go with the Rubicon or is it best to go with the sport or Willys or? if were going to be adding a lift and tires, shocks..... The main items by not going with the Rubicon are the wide axles, does 1.5" really matter/and the low range transfer case.
lockers can added later and gives me a choice. So the question is, do most build up from a Rubicon or a sport? Right now I think a diesel sport can be bought for around upper 30s low 40s that is around 10/15 k less then the Rubicon.
Many people I assume will say the same thing but I don’t want to read each reply so here’s my 2 cents. Depends on what you want to do. If you rarely off-road then a sport is all you need . If you off-road often and want a lift and 35’s with lockers etc then a Rubicon. If your going to build it then get a sport and build it. Axles(not RCV BUT DANA 60 etc)lift, air lockers etc.. A Rubicon is a lot of $$ for something that won’t hit the trails. Example is I bought my 3rd Rubicon in 2018, it has 25k miles which are 90% off-road. I added a lift, 37’s with beadlocks, steersmart front end, RCV axles which is perfect for now.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Believe it boils to A can you afford it B are you planning to wheel?
Live in NJ. Need to be able to get to work no matter the conditions, but not doing any crazy off roading. Got a 2019 Sport s for $39500 (msrp 44000). Was debating Sport S vs Rubi. Similar package Rubi would have run me $49k. 14 months and 24,000 miles later I’ve added the Rubi takeoff rims and 33’s, rock sliders and Rubi suspension that gave me additional 2 1/4” for an additional $1700 total - putting me at $41,200. For me the additional $7800 not worth it, because not wheeling. If you plan on it- go Rubi.
This from a happy Sport S owner.

Jeep Wrangler JL Which model should I buy- Rubicon or? 4F820052-F14A-45F4-AF95-CED2CCB5A9E8
It looks awesome! I really love firecracker red jeeps

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Is it best to just go with the Rubicon or is it best to go with the sport or Willys
The best way to convince yourself of which one to buy is to buy a Sport; take it to Hole In the Rock southeast of Bull Frog marina. Drive it as far as you can, then get a Rubicon to finish the trail. Just got back from there; followed a couple of Lexuses returning from top of Cottonwood Canyon in our group's all Rubicon expedition; couldn't keep up with 'em.

Last edited:

JoeBelt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I just traded a mint 18’ Sahara Unlimited 2.0 for a 21’ Rubicon Unlimited Diesel. Both fully loaded. I was in the same boat as you last week.

Buy the Rubicon Diesel. The Rubicon is giving you a locking front and rear along with an electronic sway release. Yes, you “could” purchase and install an ARB compressor, along with aftermarket lockers, and physically climb under the Jeep to unbolt / unhook the sway. That being said, you’ll likely spend more money, will pay out of pocket instead of finance through your loan, and will not add any value to your vehicle. A Rubicon having this straight from the factory will retain its value, and you won’t have to convince any bank, dealer, or buyer of the value/quality of your mods.

Also, the dealer lot is probably full of Sport and Sahara models. Rubicon is their top tier offering and more rare. This usually means they’re “special” both on the road and during resale.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
OMG. I can’t believe it. I opened another thread full of more dumbfukery!
Sponsored