When shifting into drive from park

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
one of my corks is you must let the oil circulate in the vehicle before driving away. the worst thing you can do is start and jam it into gear.. i know trucks and cars these days are way different than the early 80s and 70s but man whats the rush? your staining everything in the engine and trans when doing this. especially not using the e-brake. Its not that hard to give it two mins to gain some temp in the oils to help them thin out so they flow easily through all the tiny ports. i couldn't imagine doing the start and through into gear with my rebuilt 76. thing doesnt even like moving 3 inchs without a couple mins to warm up the old girl. anyways rant over. Let the idle drop to normal operating RPMs. then put it into gear and disengage the E-brake. your E-brake will extend the longevity of the transmission.. hope that letting it warm up a couple mins has helped your problem!
This sums up what I learned about this trans here. It makes a huge difference to remote start(if u got the option) and hop in 3-4 minutes after if it's cold or a minute if its hot, change gears, disengage the ebrake.....no thump and if any its minimal...I honestly doubt that thump which I think its gears slamming into place will damage the tranny within the warranty period as it's a proven one and less loaded than other applications but If u plan to keep you Jeep for many years, it's just a good habit that'll pay off.
Sponsored

Last edited:

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Try letting the RPM's come down to idle before you put it in gear.
I tried that before letting it warmed up and didnt work....In a manual I know itll work cuz I test drove one off the lot with delivery miles(4) since people dont like manuals now just on the auto no, unless you've let it idle for at leas 30 seconds in hot weather...cold u gotta leave it a.couple mins...maybe mods should make some preventive or GDP (Good Driving Practices) about certain thing cuz I've learnt a few here that other people have recommended

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
On a Wrangler, what is a "e brake" ?
The E-brake is the hand/parking brake. The term E-brake comes from the days of old when hydraulic brake first came out. It was used as a secondary brake system (emergency brake) in the event of brake failure and as a parking brake.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

correct. the old "Parking" brake is the old Fail safe for your brakes. cable ran for minimal chance for failure to stop.. i agree with will1111 i believe with the tighter clearances of machining work that you'll have anything major happen to the transmission in the first decade... i would hope. lol but over the life span of the truck car jeep which ever. its still better to use the brake and let the idle drop before driving.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone who’s saying to park with the parking brake is correct. Engage that, let it take the weight of the vehicle, then put it in park and turn it off. Also, everyone is correct in saying give your Jeep a minutes to warm up. You don’t really want that initial surge of the engine when starting to immediately be transferred to the transmission. Let it settle.

I noticed the same thing recently when shifting from park to reverse after turning it on. I let my uncle drive my jeep on Saturday and the first thing he did was put it in reverse and then shift it to drive while the car was still rolling backwards. :facepalm::headbang: I have been paranoid ever since.
Oh hell no. That’s one of my biggest pet peaves. People do it all the time with automatic transmissions; I think most people who drive stick are aware enough of what’s going on to instinctively not do it.

My gf did exactly that and I never let her touch my Jeep ever since.

When I gave her shit about it, her defense was: "What!? It's a Jeep, it's supposed to take it". :facepalm::headbang:
NO, I hate it when people keep telling me it's a Jeep so you can litterally not take care of it like any of vehicles, like it's somehow made out of indestructible materials.
So you broke up with her right?

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I idle 20-30 seconds.
But tha
one of my corks is you must let the oil circulate in the vehicle before driving away. the worst thing you can do is start and jam it into gear.. i know trucks and cars these days are way different than the early 80s and 70s but man whats the rush? your staining everything in the engine and trans when doing this. especially not using the e-brake. Its not that hard to give it two mins to gain some temp in the oils to help them thin out so they flow easily through all the tiny ports. i couldn't imagine doing the start and through into gear with my rebuilt 76. thing doesnt even like moving 3 inchs without a couple mins to warm up the old girl. anyways rant over. Let the idle drop to normal operating RPMs. then put it into gear and disengage the E-brake. your E-brake will extend the longevity of the transmission.. hope that letting it warm up a couple mins has helped your problem!
I give 20-30 seconds of idling in summer, and up to a minute in Las Vegas winter after a cold start. Wear seat belt, turn on radio and check Google map for traffic. Enough time for the idle to come down and oil to circulate.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If my Jeep wants to roll at all in park, I've made it a habit to knock it into neutral, set the hand brake, and let up on the foot brake enough to settle into the ebrake before finally shift to park. That ensures not resting the vehicle weight on the park dog, and the associated clunk the next time I leave park. When I do leave next, I shift into drive before releasing the handbrake. It sounds more complicated when typing it, than it really is to go through the motions.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
If my Jeep wants to roll at all in park, I've made it a habit to knock it into neutral, set the hand brake, and let up on the foot brake enough to settle into the ebrake before finally shift to park. That ensures not resting the vehicle weight on the park dog, and the associated clunk the next time I leave park. When I do leave next, I shift into drive before releasing the handbrake. It sounds more complicated when typing it, than it really is to go through the motions.
Sounds complicated. I prefer to use take advantage of auto park. When rolling at 3mph, simply open your door and let it go into park. Then you can just leave it on drive. Saves a lot of time

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds complicated. I prefer to use take advantage of auto park. When rolling at 3mph, simply open your door and let it go into park. Then you can just leave it on drive. Saves a lot of time
Yeah, my preferred method, for simplicities sake, is to simply knock it into neutral, kill the engine, and aim for something soft before I tuck and roll. So far, the softest targets have been Ford's.
Sponsored