First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Hey all.. I haven't seen this discussed yet and was hoping just to get a few opinions. When I leave the house for work in the morning, my Jeep is parked in the garage. Every morning, I put my foot on the brake, start the car and then shift into drive .. when shifting into drive, it makes a pretty loud thump when it goes into gear and the Jeep jumps forward a bit. Is this normal for everyone else? Just seems a little excessive.

This is my 4th Jeep and I haven't had this before quite this bad.

Edit: 4k miles on my Jeep now, it has made this thump consistently since day 1.
Sponsored

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
is it on an incline? Even a small one can make that noise. My JL is stick...but my Altima is auto and it does that unless I use the e-brake. Try using the e-brake, then shifting into park when you get out. Then put it in drive, then release the e-brake in the mornings. See if that helps.

OP
OP
Chemy350

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
I don't like the sound of this. I am sorry. I don't know how to help. Do you take your foot off the brake after starting to--like I do--put your belt on, and then put your foot back on the brake to shift gears or is it straight to gear shifting after cranking as described?

I don't want this to sound wrong. I am not making a statement on safety belt usage. I was just wondering what happens if you follow my brake usage pattern at start up.
The exact thing I do is: Open the driver's door and get in, then I start the Jeep with my foot on the brake, next step is I put my seatbelt on, then I shift into drive and keep my foot on the brake usually for a second or 2 after I shift before I let off.

OP
OP
Chemy350

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
is it on an incline? Even a small one can make that noise. My JL is stick...but my Altima is auto and it does that unless I use the e-brake. Try using the e-brake, then shifting into park when you get out. Then put it in drive, then release the e-brake in the mornings. See if that helps.
No incline at all. That is the sound it makes though, so that's a good example..

Skubaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Sahara
Try pausing and letting the Jeep “settle down” before shifting. I have the same thud but find it happens more when I rush to put it into drive. If I give it time, the thid isn’t as pronounced.

Sponsored

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
Hmm...it shouldn't make that sound if truly on flat ground. Curious...how do you stop and exit the jeep? When you prepare to park and exit, do you come to a stop, put on the e-brake, then put into park, then turn off, and exit?

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
if you are on a slight incline it might make a sound...if it rolled back when in park

OP
OP
Chemy350

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Try pausing and letting the Jeep “settle down” before shifting. I have the same thud but find it happens more when I rush to put it into drive. If I give it time, the thid isn’t as pronounced.
that's great advice, thank you. I do tend to get in and move fast.. start and shift pretty quickly

OP
OP
Chemy350

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Hmm...it shouldn't make that sound if truly on flat ground. Curious...how do you stop and exit the jeep? When you prepare to park and exit, do you come to a stop, put on the e-brake, then put into park, then turn off, and exit?
I basically back into the garage, very slowly. Once I stop, I put it into park and turn it off, then exit the Jeep. I never really use my ebrake.

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
I basically back into the garage, very slowly. Once I stop, I put it into park and turn it off, then exit the Jeep. I never really use my ebrake.
If you try my procedure, let me know. I suspect that could be it. Typically there is a slight slope to garage floors to direct water out the garage door opening. It's slight, but it's there (or should be there).

Sponsored

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have what seems to be a similar thump. I worried about it until 2 weeks later when a good friend bought his jeep. Both are similar JLUR early January builds. Been driving this bad boy just about 8 months now. No noted problems and honestly at this point I have just accepted it as normal operation. Haven't even thought about it until I read this. Hope it isn't an indication og something serious.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
On a Wrangler, what is a "e brake" ?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
In every motor car the correct procedure is as follows:

Stop
Put it in Park
Pull on the hand brake
Turn off the airconditing or the heater
Turn off the radio
Turn off anything else
Turn off the motor.
This means nothing has any adverse effect next time you start

The starting procedure
Put on the seat belt first thing!
Adjust mirrors and seat
Foot on brake
Start the motor
Turn on radio and or what ever
Put it into drive
Release handbrake
Drive away

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My JLU Sahara makes a small “clunk” noise when I put it in reverse but then again I have radio, AC running and motor has not settled down from starting and it’s parked in a flat garage, for me I am guessing I am putting it ito reverse to quickly and I am trying to break myself of that hurry habit

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
A few of our previous cars, auto transmissions, would make a clunk sound when shifted into reverse or drive on an incline. Our driveway has an incline and I finally figured out how to stop it. I use the following steps when parking on any hill. Foot on brake, shift to neutral, e brake, foot off brake, foot back on brake, then into park. I haven’t had any problems with the JLUR using those steps.
Sponsored