Sponsored

When shifting into drive from park

paulr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR
Hey all.. I haven't seen this discussed yet and was hoping just to get a few opinions. When I leave the house for work in the morning, my Jeep is parked in the garage. Every morning, I put my foot on the brake, start the car and then shift into drive .. when shifting into drive, it makes a pretty loud thump when it goes into gear and the Jeep jumps forward a bit. Is this normal for everyone else? Just seems a little excessive.

This is my 4th Jeep and I haven't had this before quite this bad.

Edit: 4k miles on my Jeep now, it has made this thump consistently since day 1.
I have EXACTLY what you’re describing. Do you have a turbo by chance?

I don’t get it all the time like you and I noticed it doesn’t happen if I really focus on pushing the brake pedal harder. I think it might be the punchiness of the engine compared to my Jk that never did this.

Same as one other reply I noticed if I slow down and really make sure the brake pedal is pressed it doesn’t happen at all. If I rush and the brake pedal maybe isn’t pressed hard enough I get this thud.
Sponsored

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Might be drivetrain slack since you don’t engage the e-brake when you park. The Jeep rolls a bit until the transmission prevents it from going any further. When you start it up and put it in drive it take up any slack which causes the clunk and a bit of movement/surge if you’re not in the brake pedal all the way.

I use my ebrake all the time when I park. I have an auto as well. I get the clunk sound about 2 times a week each morning.

OP
OP
Chemy350

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Thank you all for your input. For those who asked, I have a 6 cyl, February build. I will be trying a couple procedures above and will report back.

This morning, I did start my Jeep and let it sit for about a minute, waited for the rpms to drop, and then shifted. THere was a very minimal clunk, so this may be the trick. Thanks all.

Skubaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Sahara
Thank you all for your input. For those who asked, I have a 6 cyl, February build. I will be trying a couple procedures above and will report back.

This morning, I did start my Jeep and let it sit for about a minute, waited for the rpms to drop, and then shifted. THere was a very minimal clunk, so this may be the trick. Thanks all.
I paid more attention this morning. I also noticed if I slowed down slightly my movement of the shift from park to drive, it was allmuch smoother. It all may be we have a machine with a lot of electronics and mechanics and they all need a chance to wake up. Sort of like us until we get our morning coffee. Lol

Sponsored

Jeep It

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Firecracker Red
I have this too on my JLU Sport S, but it doesn’t do it all the time. I always let the motor warm up and the idle drop before shifting into drive, but will make sure the brake is pressed firmly tomorrow morning. I also get it occasionally going into reverse.

Sounds like a Chuck Norris throat punch, but shifts good when driving. Also noticed a little thud a couple times when I had to stop quickly and the tranny downshifted to first. It does feel pretty robust though, and first gear reminds of driving a Duramax/Allison setup in first.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I cringe when I see some of my coworkers start their cars after work and drive away before the Bendix even disengages the flywheel. It's always a good idea to start the car and give it at least 7-10 seconds for oil to get to all the places it needs to go before placing a load on it. When I lived in the snowbelt I would idle until I saw the temp gauge move up a tick or two.

With that said, I would start the car with the above in mind and shift from park to drive with my foot on the brake.

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I noticed this on mine but figured out what it was and it was mentioned already. When I used to park I would brake until I stopped, put it on park, release brake then apply ebrake. In the seconds I went from park to apply the ebrake, the jeep rolled back an almost unnoticeable and when I went to drive again, it would make the noise. Now what I do is drive to a complete stop, put in on park and without releasing the brake, i apply the ebrake and I dont have that thump anymore. I also let the jeep warm up for like 10-15 seconds before driving off but I did that before hand also so it didnt matter.

mike_b_81

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Does it only happen when the engine is cold? Revs are a little higher when you start your Jeep and the engine is cold.
I was going to say the same thing. If you notice RPM's when the vehicle is cold vs. warm (relatively) there is a definite difference. I have noticed that in previous vehicles that I had that were automatics, the somewhat harder shift when the vehicle is cold, attributed to the higher RPM when shifting in to gear. With that being said, my Sport S is a manual, but I still do recognize that the RPM's are higher when the vehicle has sat overnight. Like one of the others stated, just allow the vehicle to run for a few seconds before shifting in to gear.

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I noticed the same thing recently when shifting from park to reverse after turning it on. I let my uncle drive my jeep on Saturday and the first thing he did was put it in reverse and then shift it to drive while the car was still rolling backwards. :facepalm::headbang: I have been paranoid ever since.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I noticed the same thing recently when shifting from park to reverse after turning it on. I let my uncle drive my jeep on Saturday and the first thing he did was put it in reverse and then shift it to drive while the car was still rolling backwards. :facepalm::headbang: I have been paranoid ever since.
My gf did exactly that and I never let her touch my Jeep ever since.

When I gave her shit about it, her defense was: "What!? It's a Jeep, it's supposed to take it". :facepalm::headbang:
NO, I hate it when people keep telling me it's a Jeep so you can litterally not take care of it like any of vehicles, like it's somehow made out of indestructible materials.

biggprikk

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Hey all.. I haven't seen this discussed yet and was hoping just to get a few opinions. When I leave the house for work in the morning, my Jeep is parked in the garage. Every morning, I put my foot on the brake, start the car and then shift into drive .. when shifting into drive, it makes a pretty loud thump when it goes into gear and the Jeep jumps forward a bit. Is this normal for everyone else? Just seems a little excessive.

This is my 4th Jeep and I haven't had this before quite this bad.

Edit: 4k miles on my Jeep now, it has made this thump consistently since day 1.
Replace with a 6M

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I also get a small jerk and a thump sound in the morning when I put it in reverse in the garage in the morning. I don't notice the same when I reverse from parking at work.
I guess it is normal as all garages are inclined a little bit. I usually release the parking brake first and then put it in gear. I will try tomorrow by putting it in the gear first and then release the parking brake.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

one of my corks is you must let the oil circulate in the vehicle before driving away. the worst thing you can do is start and jam it into gear.. i know trucks and cars these days are way different than the early 80s and 70s but man whats the rush? your staining everything in the engine and trans when doing this. especially not using the e-brake. Its not that hard to give it two mins to gain some temp in the oils to help them thin out so they flow easily through all the tiny ports. i couldn't imagine doing the start and through into gear with my rebuilt 76. thing doesnt even like moving 3 inchs without a couple mins to warm up the old girl. anyways rant over. Let the idle drop to normal operating RPMs. then put it into gear and disengage the E-brake. your E-brake will extend the longevity of the transmission.. hope that letting it warm up a couple mins has helped your problem!

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Try letting the RPM's come down to idle before you put it in gear.
Sponsored