rsdean

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Hi All,

I have a new 2021 Wrangler with an automatic transmission. I have noticed a weird delay in the shifting indicator when going from drive to park. It goes into park fine, but there is a momentary delay on the shift indicator that is strange. In other words, it's in park, but the shift indicator on the shifter is still catching up - just a split second delay or so.

Tough to articulate, but was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

Thanks,
Bob
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Hi All,

I have a new 2021 Wrangler with an automatic transmission. I have noticed a weird delay in the shifting indicator when going from drive to park. It goes into park fine, but there is a momentary delay on the shift indicator that is strange. In other words, it's in park, but the shift indicator on the shifter is still catching up - just a split second delay or so.

Thanks,
Bob
My Ram is similiar, instead of a direct mechanical linkage like older vehicles, the TCM has the ability to autopark the vehicle with specific criteria. I'd assume the "delay" is because the indicator is an output from the TCM, you see when the transmission is actually in park after the command is confirmed from the TCM.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
What does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

OP
OP

rsdean

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport
My Ram is similiar, instead of a direct mechanical linkage like older vehicles, the TCM has the ability to autopark the vehicle with specific criteria. I'd assume the "delay" is because the indicator is an output from the TCM, you see when the transmission is actually in park after the command is confirmed from the TCM.

Matt, thanks - that makes complete sense. I had not seen this happen on any of my older Wranglers so was curious. Appreciate the response.

Bob

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Hi All,

Thanks,
Bob
My 2021 2-door Rubicon does the same thing. Normal, I think.

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
Yeah, despite there being a gear lever, you're not actually shifting the transmission with it, you're just asking it to do so via electronics. The dash is showing the actual state of the transmission.
Sponsored