Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

@Murphydog

If you know you put 5 qts in..... and you are 100% sure you put 5 qts in.... then 5 qts is in there... No need to "make sure it is good", as proper/correct fill is 5 qts.

I never check the dipstick on a JL or JT, after pouring in a 5 qt. jug of oil... What would that accomplish.. I mean you know you just put in 5 qts.. and that is what is required.... daaah.

Since it was your first oil change on your JL and you know you put 5 qts in ...... tomorrow when you pull the dipstick..... before starting the JL ....... DO, mark/etch the dipstick, so you know in the future when you check the oil level... with engine cold.... that you can see where a 5qt. fill registers on the JL's dipstick when engine is cold.

Now, over the weeks and months, til next oil change time, just check the dipstick when the JL is cold. Use your 5 qt, cold engine. known fill line in determining your oil status.

Oh I know, I used a 5 quart jug, mostly curious to see and learn where 5 quarts hits on my dip stick. Creature of habit in that sense
Sponsored

Eandras

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler unlimited Sport S Black
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S with the 3.6L with Start Sop non e-torq engine Firts oil change was at 1.2k Miles. Use 0w20 full synthetics oil with the MO-349 molar filter. Will change again most likely at 3k. As oil changes are easy maintenance as well as throttle body cleaning, differential fluid change, and transfer case fluid. I also rotate all 5 tires every 3k miles.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Changed it when the oil life monitor was showing it was nearly time to change it. Mobil 1 Extended Mileage, Wix XP. There's probably better oil and filters, but that's what has worked in my previous high mile vehicles and it's cheap enough and a quart is available almost anywhere I travel. I did this for my last 4 new vehicles and it's worked out for me.

IMO, If the manufacturer saw a real statistical benefit of engine reliability from changing oil at 500 or some such miles, they'd recommend it. I haven't seen data on recent production NEW vehicles to suggest changing oil early makes any difference. But I learn something new all the time.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
If mine ever gets here.....filter at 1000 and oil at 3000..... and every 3000 after.
Won't hurt a thing. And it is a shot in the arm for the economy and the oil industry.

Reactions: OBD

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
1,000 miles, with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20, plus a Mopar Filter.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

3500 miles because it was a year old. Should have went 7000 or so for first but since I was working from home I figured 1 year was enough and had them change the first one.

Of course they were like "Well tires didn't need rotating and there was no tech to look at leaking rear window". Dealers suck. They are like vampires in having a fun experience with a new car.

fullytorqued

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon XR, 2020 Tesla 3, 2013 Prius C
I've been using Royal Purple oil for the last 10+ years for various vehicles and have been very happy with it. Anyone had a bad experience using RP in a Wrangler?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've been using Royal Purple oil for the last 10+ years for various vehicles and have been very happy with it. Anyone had a bad experience using RP in a Wrangler?
I doubt it. RP is good oil.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
When did you do your first oil change.....?
It was in the summer of 1967 and on my mothers '65 Mustang. I was 15 haha and had helped my older bro for a couple years and had it down.
@sourdough ... Funny.....

My very first car was a red, 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 with black interior. 289 motor...

I was barely 16 yrs. old when I purchased it new at a local dealership.... I had saved and saved to buy that car... Would you believe it cost just a tad under $2,700.00.... (not a typo) I went to the dealership with a cigar box full of cash...

I had previously changed oil on farm equipment, Go Karts, Mini Bikes and such... but that was the first car I did an oil change on. I had to figure it out on my own as my Dad was not mechanically inclined lets say....

I totaled that car about 1 yr. later... Front end got ripped right off the car...

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
I did my first oil change when I was 12. It was on a Massy Ferguson.

Also, never use Penzoil. I use Castrol for anything that is replaced commonly like differential or transmission, amsoil for the engine.

Sponsored

HuskerJL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR - Black
2021 Rubicon XR 3.6L, the first oil change was at 700 miles. My uncle sells Schaeffer’s so I use Schaeffer’s 0W-20. I have sent in oil samples to Schaeffer’s from other new vehicles and every sample comes back with sand in the oil, so I guess I would rather not run sand thru the engine.

https://www.schaefferoil.com/9005-full-synthetic.html

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
2021 Rubicon XR 3.6L, the first oil change was at 700 miles. My uncle sells Schaeffer’s so I use Schaeffer’s 0W-20. I have sent in oil samples to Schaeffer’s from other new vehicles and every sample comes back with sand in the oil, so I guess I would rather not run sand thru the engine.

https://www.schaefferoil.com/9005-full-synthetic.html
I share your sentiment about not running sand thru the engine. But if sand were to get thru the filter to the bearings, lifters and cylinder walls, the engine would be trashed in a handful of miles. Minutes, rather than months.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I did our 2021 3.6 Etorque at about 4600 miles. That's what it had when we brought it home. I did a UOA o the factory fill and while loaded up with crap, the oil was still in good shape. I swapped it out for Walmart Supertech 0w20 thinking I'd do a very short run just to clean it out. But the oil's condition was good enough that I'll go ahead and run the Supertech for 5k and then move over to Mobil 1 EP 0w20 and a Fram Ultra filter. So it has its second change coming soon. My wife is piling the miles onto that thing!

Here is the UOA from the factory fill. I've no idea what the oil was. Probably a Pennzoil product, but who knows? But it was in good shape with the flashpoint showing no fuel dilution.

I have to say the factory Mopar oil filter did a good job, too, with only .2 ppm insolubles. That's better than I have typically seen with Mobil 1 filters, which is what is in this one right now. The next one should be interesting.

Jeep Wrangler JL When did you do your first oil change.....? Screenshot_20220130-094756~2
Sponsored