Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

NeoMaximuz

First Name
Abraham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Unlimited Rubicon JL
I just went in for my first oil change today, 8,024 miles, first drove it off the lot on December 13, 2018. I waited for the on board computer to tell me to change the oil, and took it to the dealer. I told them before hand to please make sure and put 5 quarts and not 6 as some dealers do. They told me they had to follow whatever their computer told them to do. So I was worried that they'd put in 6. To my surprise, they only put in the 5, changed filter, rotated my tires, and did an inspection. I was very pleased with their service.
Sponsored

BacavilleJL

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator, 0rdered 2023 GC
Occupation
Maintenance Director
I have 1800 miles on my new Rubicon JLR which an oil change appointment for this Friday... I have seen some Jeepers get an oil change like me as old school at 2k or 3k miles and the dealer said 7k...

So tell me what you did....

Miles?
Type of oil/filters?
Did you do the dealer freebee?
Why or Remarks?

If the forum owner (Bill?) could you make this a vote with comments. I see some folks talking about this and with more and more JL owners are getting to this point will need to know.
900 miles and going to change the oil at 1000. Mobil 1 all the way. My 2015 Dodge Ram and our 2015 Grand Cherokee are also Mobil1. Napa gold filters for all vehicles.

BacavilleJL

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator, 0rdered 2023 GC
Occupation
Maintenance Director
I've never felt much difference in engine noise and smoothness after oil changes, even when switching brands and weights, but today I changed the oil in my JK 3.8 and am pretty certain I feel and hear a difference (for the better.) I went from Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w30 (6k miles) to Valvoline Modern Engine 5w20. I picked up that Valvoline on clearance at Wal Mart a couple months ago. The 3.8 seems to like it, so we'll see how it goes as the miles rack up on it. If I continue to feel it runs smoother, I may try a run of their 0w20 in the JL.
I'm going to use 0-40w Mobil 1. I have that weight in our other vehicles too.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I use Pennzoil 0w20 full synthetic and original mopar filter. That’s what dealer uses. I keep the receipts just in case for any warranty contingencies. Also, I write the milage on receipts and the date. I like doing it myself, even though last time I took it to dealer cause I was not feeling well. But I will keep doing it myself because I like it.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Changed mine at 1000 miles just because it won't hurt, but could help. I stayed with conventional oil until my 4 free oil changes are done. Then I will switch to a synthetic and go about 10,000 miles between.
interesting but what about the warranty, doesn't it say every 3 or 4 thousand miles ?

Sponsored

Rubi2876

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
I think I was at 5k when I got my first oil change. My favorite favorite part was, took it to a dealership...got it free because of the Jeep Wave thing etc. Went camping on the weekend I got it changed, drove about a week and then I noticed a black spot on the concrete at work driving home one day, thought nothing of it...thought it was AC drip. Returned the next day and it was still there and I thought hmmm what has changed...oh yeah got my oil changed a while back. Sure enough, got under her and the drain plug was literally hand tight so she was dripping oil. Checked the oil and it wasn't much that leaked...still full but the principle of the whole thing! The dude doing the change probably got a text so he didn't tighten it all the way...or he was pissed that I made him get a job at a dealership to change oil....dont know. The point is of this random off topic is don't trust dealers just because they charge more. A jiffy lube is just as same, you just have to find one that is good. I would love to change my own oil, its just the disposal part that is tough. Sorry for the venting...

Tlambi

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I have 1800 miles on my new Rubicon JLR which an oil change appointment for this Friday... I have seen some Jeepers get an oil change like me as old school at 2k or 3k miles and the dealer said 7k...

So tell me what you did....

Miles?
Type of oil/filters?
Did you do the dealer freebee?
Why or Remarks?

If the forum owner (Bill?) could you make this a vote with comments. I see some folks talking about this and with more and more JL owners are getting to this point will need to know.
For my 2019 JLU Moab, my dealer sent me an email reminder at ~3400 miles, even though the U connect app said I had 54% oil life left. It was free, so it can't hurt, right? I'll probably go with 6 months, or 5K miles after this. BTW, this is my second wrangler. They changed oil (a 3.6 lt & yes, 5 quarts Mopar Synthetic), filter, and even rotated the tires (kind of a waste of my Jeep Wave rotation due at <7500 miles, Oh well!). I've read a lot of skeptisim with dealers, but all seems to be good here. I've had great service at the local Lithia dealer in Kennewick, WA.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
For my 2019 JLU Moab, my dealer sent me an email reminder at ~3400 miles, even though the U connect app said I had 54% oil life left. It was free, so it can't hurt, right? I'll probably go with 6 months, or 5K miles after this. BTW, this is my second wrangler. They changed oil (a 3.6 lt & yes, 5 quarts Mopar Synthetic), filter, and even rotated the tires (kind of a waste of my Jeep Wave rotation due at <7500 miles, Oh well!). I've read a lot of skeptisim with dealers, but all seems to be good here. I've had great service at the local Lithia dealer in Kennewick, WA.
Nothing wrong changing your oil at 3400. There is a lot of crap in it from break-in. Also, rotating at 3500 isn't a bad idea on a 4wd, either, especially if you have 32s or up.

Good to hear about your dealership. Remember, people don't usually rush to an internet forum to celebrate good competent dealerships, but they are out there. It is good to give them a shout out.

Rotties JL

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4dr JL Sahara
Occupation
Retired
I use pennzoil 0W20,Mobil one isn’t a approved oil so don’t want to screw up warranty.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
Just changed the oil in my new 2019 Rubicon last night! Had 7,467 miles on it. Used 5 quarts of amsoil sae 0W-20 along with the high mileage amsoil oil filter. Engine sounds so much better now and is idling really smooth. Noticed it immediately! I plan on sending my oil into black stone labs to get it tested. I’ll post my results as soon as I have them back from black stone. I waited until the oil percentage said 0%. I don’t believe in wasting good oil and I’ve always used up every last drop in every vehicle. Black stone has never given me a bad test result either so I’m not worried. I’ll keep you posted....

Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I believe if you want your Jeep to last as long as possible everything should get an early change to get initial wear and contamination out. Not just engine oil but diffs, transfer case, transmission, etc. I did my engine oil at about 2,000 miles with Amsoil 0w20 synthetic oil and an Amsoil oil filter. I do everything myself even though I could get free oil changes at the dealer.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...es-100-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/?zo=226468
I use to use Amsoil years ago. Is it still only available through distributors?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure, but I think you can buy directly from their web site.

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
I went to the amsoil website and ordered it there. Anybody can. Came in 3 days!

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Just changed the oil in my new 2019 Rubicon last night! Had 7,467 miles on it. Used 5 quarts of amsoil sae 0W-20 along with the high mileage amsoil oil filter. Engine sounds so much better now and is idling really smooth. Noticed it immediately! I plan on sending my oil into black stone labs to get it tested. I’ll post my results as soon as I have them back from black stone. I waited until the oil percentage said 0%. I don’t believe in wasting good oil and I’ve always used up every last drop in every vehicle. Black stone has never given me a bad test result either so I’m not worried. I’ll keep you posted....
Which sae OW-20 Amsoil oil did you use...OE (regular), XL or their Signature Series?