Sponsored

When did you do your first oil change.....?

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I have 1800 miles on my new Rubicon JLR which an oil change appointment for this Friday... I have seen some Jeepers get an oil change like me as old school at 2k or 3k miles and the dealer said 7k...

So tell me what you did....

Miles?
Type of oil/filters?
Did you do the dealer freebee?
Why or Remarks?

If the forum owner (Bill?) could you make this a vote with comments. I see some folks talking about this and with more and more JL owners are getting to this point will need to know.
Sponsored

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
5000km
Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic/Mopar filter
Did it myself, not dealer, nothing free
I do all my own service/repairs on all my vehicles because I am awesome :like:
Dealer is only for warranty work or recalls :jk:

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
changed at 4K
SYN+ 5-w30 as recommended for 2.0L
CarQuest filter
I don't let Dealer touch my vehicle unless it's something I cannot fix.
They can't even install floor mats correctly.
I always change early first time, and will prob do next one at 8K.

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
I have 1800 miles on my new Rubicon JLR which an oil change appointment for this Friday... I have seen some Jeepers get an oil change like me as old school at 2k or 3k miles and the dealer said 7k...

So tell me what you did....

Miles?
Type of oil/filters?
Did you do the dealer freebee?
Why or Remarks?

If the forum owner (Bill?) could you make this a vote with comments. I see some folks talking about this and with more and more JL owners are getting to this point will need to know.
Have an appointment on Saturday...will be just shy of 5,000 miles.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
This has been very helpful to me and I hope to those who are following....

Keep your comments coming...

Sponsored

GunnersJL

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubi, 2015 JGC Diesel Overand
Just hit 1000 miles on a business trip today and plan to change the filter only when I get home. Following the lead of some others on this forum. Theory is the filter catches any fine metal particles from break-in. Replace it only for a little insurance, as the oil is fine. Then change the oil and rotate tires at 5000 mile increments.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Just hit 1000 miles on a business trip today and plan to change the filter only when I get home. Following the lead of some others on this forum. Theory is the filter catches any fine metal particles from break-in. Replace it only for a little insurance, as the oil is fine. Then change the oil and rotate tires at 5000 mile increments.
That makes sense, but if you pull the filter your oil comes out? That a question.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Changed mine at 1000 miles just because it won't hurt, but could help. I stayed with conventional oil until my 4 free oil changes are done. Then I will switch to a synthetic and go about 10,000 miles between.

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
I did my first oil change at 3500mi. and replaced it with Mobile 1 5w-30 Full Synthetic with a Wix Filter. I plan to do oil changes at 6000mi and tire rotations to while its on my lift. I have been running it in my sisters Cherokee with the 3.6 and it has over 250k miles with no issues other than standard wear parts.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
That makes sense, but if you pull the filter your oil comes out? That a question.
@MacJack

The cartridge can be removed anytime .... and just replace it, if you wanted to do so. NO, no oil pours out. Yes, you will get a couple of oil drips from the paper cartridge material but that is it.

Sponsored

RandyB-JL19

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL - Sport S
I have driven high-performance cars, like Mustangs and Porsches, for many years on street and track. My go-to oil is Mobil1 0W-40 with a premium quality filter. That is a $40 oil change done in your own garage or driveway using an oil that has the very highest ratings from the best automakers.

Full synthetic oil does not break down and can easily go for 7500 to 10,000 miles between changes. Much more often (or too often) seems a waste of time and money and environmentally imprudent.

And my full disclosure - I sell crude oil for a living. So my advice is contrary to my self-interests. Mobil1 is a great product.

Altahami

First Name
Yunis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi
Today was my first @3,500.

Warned dealer, before handed them keys, that it takes five quarts and they still put six and argued they were right - finally got them to admit they were wrong and drained the oil and replaced with five quarts. Initially they put in 5w30 then next round they put in 0w20 - I recall.

You should get four free oil changes and rotations - by them putting in your vin.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I always do my first engine oil change at 1,000 miles, differentials at 4,000 miles, and my transmission and transfer case at 10,000 miles. I use oem oil filters and Amsoil oil. I never let the dealer touch my stuff.

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
@MacJack

The cartridge can be removed anytime .... and just replace it, if you wanted to do so. NO, no oil pours out. Yes, you will get a couple of oil drips from the paper cartridge material but that is it.
The confusion is V6 filter is accessed from engine bay. The Turbo 4 is the old fashioned underneath filter and you WILL need to top up oil level after removing. Your results may vary. Some assembly required. Side effects include oil covered hands, slippery garage floor, oil footprints on carpet, an angry spouse, seed cramps, high stool, and shortness of pants. Viewer discretion advised. Offer not good in New Jersey.

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
First change at 1400 when we had a break in the weather and the garage floor dried out (I'm in Michigan) Pennzoil full synthetic 0W-20 and Mopar filter for the V6. It was noticable how much smoother it ran with the fresh oil! Not that what came out was that bad. Don't skimp use full synthetic. I plan on the second at 5k the 3rd at 10k and the every 10k after that. Jeep Wave, Tom (Aerospace Engineer/FAA Certified Repairman)
Sponsored