What actually _is_ normal steering?

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
The dead spot and wandering are not normal for a solid axle vehicle. My 95 Cherokee had solid axels and no dead spot or wandering. I put almost 100k miles on it and these issues never crossed my mind.
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 17 JK and now a 19 JL. Both had/have perfect steering. I don't know if I just got lucky or maybe it was driving 18 wheelers back in the 80's. Sometimes the old rigs would have erratic steering.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
That was my point. She drives daily a nice German SUV. Steering is fantastic. Nice variable assist based on speed, with lane following and enough computer stuff to power a space shuttle. So with that down for a few days she hopped in my Jeep and complained. To her the steering is not normal. But to me, where it's what I drive daily, I find it perfectly fine.

So back to the OP asking what is normal steering..... it's all relative to what you drive daily and expectations. Jumping into a JL will either be no issue, be a minor issue, or you will hate it -- all based on what you are coming from and if you got lucky in the FCA steering lottery.

So depending on the OP's wife expectations I can see her not loving the JL steering. Maybe she will get used to it, maybe it was the wrong choice.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I’m sorry to hear about the steering on your wife’s Jeep. Wandering isn’t normal—yes it *is*a solid axle and handles differently, but it should not be an exhausting struggle to drive.

There’s a thread on the issue:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ering-feels-like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/

I would take it to the dealer and have them check the alignment (the toe on mine was waaaaay off) and see what the caster is.

WestlakeHorn

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S
I would test drive another vehicle on the lot.

My 2019 Rubicon actually tracks better on the highway than my wife's previous 2014 Lexus LX. We dumped the LX after 6 years b/c it wandered all over the highway and the dealer would never own up to the problem.

Steering is far from perfect, but I have no problems (and actually enjoy) driving it four hours down to the coast for the weekend. That said, if your wife has been driving a German car or maybe an Escalade, the steering can be an eye-opening experience at highway speeds.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I think there is a combination of issues in play. I’m lucky - my Recon tracks straight and the steering is fairly tight. Far better than the 2015 JKUR it replaced. I just returned from a 1,700 trip to the mountains. My wife initially had trouble driving the Jeep - she kept over correcting the steering. I drive the thing at 75mph with two fingers unless it’s windy. Her Ford Edge sport has really tight steering and I think the Jeep is simply a different experience- nothing wrong; just different. I know some of you have real steering problems however.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Try to find a JK to take around the block. That is my benchmark for normal. It's still going to be a little bit sensitive and have a little bit of bump steer, but you shouldn't be all over the road.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
My lifted JLU on 37x13.5's drives as nicely as my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee. It does not wander, it requires no effort to stay in the lane it simply drives like any other vehicle.

Reactions: VNT
OP
OP
JavaRunner

JavaRunner

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara
Thanks for all the posts all. I think I'm going to ask a buddy of mine who is a mechanic and drives a JK to take our JL out for a spin, get his opinion if he thinks there is something mechanically wrong.

Now all I need is time to go enjoy the Jeep! Anyone know how to get more of that?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

took mine home from NV the day i got it. was comfortable running 65-80 with the traffic flow. not much wondering no death wobble none of that. after 11k miles ( i do not daily drive my jeep) and almost two years of owning it the steering has been good. Now dont get me wrong other people that drive my jeep will say the steering wheel has about a 1" " dead spot side to side. but they are mistaken and ive showed them this as well because its a common misconception. stick your head out the window and wiggle the wheel in the "dead feel" yet you see the wheels move at the same rate. ( learned this after replacing my steering box and tierods on my 76GMC. as i was complaining about the dead feel in the first in of the steering wheel movement. He then showed me that and i learned something. as for wonder I find in Crap state of California they dont know what cement to use and they love to path bad spots of cement with asphalt, But they semi truck lanes tend to get grooved from the weight of the trucks which can cause smaller width vehicles to wonder in those lanes. i'd be curious about that on your wife's commute as you stated its worse one way that the other. they is a few things that could fix some of the wander though. Read on forums about caster angles and your alignment could cause that as well. adding just .5 of a degree might fix that problem if you havent gotten used to it in the next couple months

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I'm one who never had issues with the steering. The best I can illustrate is that I can drive with literally just a finger on the wheel until highway driving, which at that point one hand is fine.

I don't know. It definitely drives more like a truck, if that helps. It reminded me a lot of my dad's old 90s-era Yukon; drives like a bigger vehicle for sure, but not to the point where I feel like I'm throwing a wheel on a boat or anything.

But an interesting anecdote I will share is this: My wife drives it every now and then, and she feels like it wants to wander. See even said it was "ridiculous" at one point, though that was pretty much right after we bought it a couple years ago.

So, I don't know. Two people, same vehicle, totally different impressions of how it drives. And to be absolutely clear, I am not saying the "steering people" don't have real concerns. Just providing my own experience.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I’d just take it into the dealer and have them give it the once over - make sure everything is tightened to spec etc.

and while you are there - take a couple of Sahara’s out for a test drive on the freeway (drive your one on the same route beforehand and after). Make sure they have the same tire pressure. even better if can convince your wife to go with you and do the same.
Sponsored