Sponsored

Water streaming into cabin when opening door

NavyJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS; Bikini; Manual; Soft Top. Let the spending begin.
I am always amazed at "it is a jeep thing" While that may be true for some items, there are other convertables out there that do not have this issue/problem. This is not a problem that is unique due to the nature of a jeep's capabilites (which would make it a jeep thing)
Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I am always amazed at "it is a jeep thing" While that may be true for some items, there are other convertables out there that do not have this issue/problem. This is not a problem that is unique due to the nature of a jeep's capabilites (which would make it a jeep thing)
It has always been this way - it is due to it being tied into the top door channel to drain water properly when the doors are shut - they didn’t just stop short on purpose - although annoying it has always been designed this way.

NavyJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS; Bikini; Manual; Soft Top. Let the spending begin.
It has always been this way - it is due to it being tied into the top door channel to drain water properly when the doors are shut - they didn’t just stop short on purpose - although annoying it has always been designed this way.
well since it "has always been this way" lets not fix it. Also wasn't everything in this jeep designed new from the ground up.

Reactions: JBS

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I second your opinion regarding "its a jeep thing". People should understand a Jeep is a rugid utilitarian vehicle and have appropriate expectations but that doesnt mean any form of design flaw should be acceptable. A customer base is ripe for abuse if they are willing to accept productions deficiencies based off of brand identity. We should expect a well designed product and excuses should not have to be made because the last five models have sucked in the same way.....

What happens when and if a truly capable Bronco hits the market that is valid competition for the Wrangler? What happens if the Bronco doesnt pour water all over you when you get out? What happens if quality control is on point with the Bronco? I have a feeling the excuse that its a "Jeep thing" will wear thin when many of these vehicles are running 50k. I expect a well designed and sorted vehicle for that type coin that requires zero excuses. 50k is luxury vehicle territory so customers should expect these vehicles to be buttoned up...

My primary driver is a BMW M series that cost a few thousand dollars more than a well equipped Rubicon. I've never had an ounce of trouble with it in the years I've driven it. Quality control, Engineering are all on point in the car. Its a FANTASTIC vehicle. Are we supposed to accept a vehicle that consist of an engine, a tub body, that pours water all over you because its a "Jeep thing" at the same price point?

Last edited:

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
well since it "has always been this way" lets not fix it. Also wasn't everything in this jeep designed new from the ground up.
Maybe they should have but this shouldn’t be a surprise or something new to anyone that has owned Jeeps before - unfortunately this has been a Jeep Thing for a log time - trust me I am just as annoyed as others when it is raining hard.

Sponsored

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Firecracker Red
Why couldn't you just drill a couple of small weep holes in the side gutter to allow the water to drain before the end near the windshield?

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
So your defending jeep because it’s in unfixable design, it’s just the nature of the beast.
But, isn’t there an aftermarket solution that somebody already posted?
Both of those stements cannot be correct.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So your defending jeep because it’s in unfixable design, it’s just the nature of the beast.
But, isn’t there an aftermarket solution that somebody already posted?
Both of those stements cannot be correct.
Just block the front of the drain and let it drain at the split between the doors.

Not defending but not getting flustered over a design issue that has been previlent for a long time.

jamotn

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT, '14 Juke.'12 HD,'18 Indian Scout
I’m disappointed that this obvious design flaw made it through all the testing. I mean they test these out with many different engineers and designers , corporate executives and basic workers in many different climates people get preproduction test models all the time to drive them home it rains how did nobody notice this ? Seems very odd and somewhat scary.
Last months "Popular Mechanics" had a Jeep article,a good one. They interviewed one of the people who do the water testing. It sounded like a perfect seal. So much for that article.

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I've only had this happen once, and it was when I was parked on an angle. Seems like a bead of silicone to block the end of the gutter, forcing the water to drain towards the rear, would be a simple 5min solution.

Jeep217

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara. 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2003 TJ Wrangler X
So,you think water pouring in someones new ride is a joke?
Did I say it’s a joke? I said it’s a first world problem- which it is. I have the same issue with mine. But the big question is: so what? Live a little bit. There are bigger issues in the world than whether you get a bit wet getting into your Jeep.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
"There are bigger issues in the world than whether you get a bit wet getting into your Jeep"...You mean, like having to run a 20 mile long extension cord when your $70K all electric Jeep's battery dies up in the mountains...will it still be 'a Jeep thing'?