Water streaming into cabin when opening door

ChicagoShoop

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well I clearly missed that. Sorry. Maybe one too many beers last night. Thanks for the reply either way.
Advertisement

muskynut

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JLU SPORT-S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The Freedom Top has its own channel that drains both forward and backward

The rear cover has its own, and also drains the same.

It would take a better designer engineer that they dont have, to design a rail that wouldn't drip into the cabin of the Wrangler.

costelj

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 LR4
So, as a prospective buyer in the Pacific Northwest, where it rains 100-140 days each year, and where I don't have a garage for the Jeep, this concerns me. I assume this is universal and not something specific to certain jeeps? If so, this might be untenable for me.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
My last four vehicles did not have any drip rails, so when it rains and you open a door, the water drips somewhat uniformly along the top of the opening. The Jeep collects all of the rain in the gutter and then dumps it in one spot in your lap. I am going to plug the front end of the drip rail with some black silicon sealant. If the rail over flows it will be more of an even over-flow along the rail, similar to not having a rail at all.

Katjeepn

First Name
Katherine
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Mine does the same thing. Its a wrangler....It is what it is !
I am having the same issue. New Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL. I open the driver side door to get out of the rain and water pours in. Checked floor and it was soaked under Weathertec mat. Any suggestions? Not sure I can accept “ it’s a Jeep, they leak “

muskynut

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JLU SPORT-S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A dab of silicone sealant, creats dam, prevents it. But it flows to the rear.

Face it. Design flaw.

Biscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Egads, I'm melting, I'm melting! :devil:

Yeah, I get a little dribble, same as just about every vehicle I've owned. But it ain't the deluge that some of y'all make it out to be.

I dribble a little, too, which is also a factory defect. It's called an enlarged prostate. :cwl:

Donna1

First Name
Donna
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
28 jeep wrangler jl
Mine does the same thing. Its a wrangler....It is what it is !
My18 jl 2 door sport does the same thing at the doors when raining or snow melting. It is a design change and they screwed up. There is a Video on YouTube showing the change they made and the mistake that Jeep made. I have been in contact with the dealership I bought it from and showed them today what it does. They took a water bottle and re-enacted what happens when water gets in the channel. They said they had NOT heard of anyone else having this issue. So, we did the same Test on a another wrangler in the parking lot and the same thing occurred. So, I called Jeep FCA and they called the car dealership I bought the jeep at. They want me to come back down and were just as nice as could be. It is a piss poor design flaw and I am not going to accept running water going into my door pocket and then down on my floor pan. The truck is 2 weeks old and paid $38,000. So, everyone needs to grow a set and hold these people accountable. Not just say "It is what is". that is just a give up attitude. Would love to hear from others their stories on this same issue Please.... Thank you

Rhinebeck01

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. Rubi
@Donna1

The set that you have grown, is not going to get this issue remedied. You can whine all you want.. Sorry to be blunt but ....

By the way, I have had a few JK's and now a JL and they all do as you say.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Generations of Wranglers have had this problem. You just have to live with the old saying: It's a Jeep Thing". You're lucky they put drain plugs in the foot wells, if the water gets too deep.

thomas-maryland

First Name
thomas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
My18 jl 2 door sport does the same thing at the doors when raining or snow melting. It is a design change and they screwed up. There is a Video on YouTube showing the change they made and the mistake that Jeep made. I have been in contact with the dealership I bought it from and showed them today what it does. They took a water bottle and re-enacted what happens when water gets in the channel. They said they had NOT heard of anyone else having this issue. So, we did the same Test on a another wrangler in the parking lot and the same thing occurred. So, I called Jeep FCA and they called the car dealership I bought the jeep at. They want me to come back down and were just as nice as could be. It is a piss poor design flaw and I am not going to accept running water going into my door pocket and then down on my floor pan. The truck is 2 weeks old and paid $38,000. So, everyone needs to grow a set and hold these people accountable. Not just say "It is what is". that is just a give up attitude. Would love to hear from others their stories on this same issue Please.... Thank you

Hey man did the dealership solve this issue. I plan to go into the dealer this week for the same issue

wolfdog

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2015 Cherokee TH, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
I've had 2 JKU's and they did it a "wee" bit but nothing like the JLU waterfalls! When park with the front higher I have no problem, level or downhill always runs in. Actually strong enough to get into my floor mats so carpet stay relatively dry!

Ya, you's think for 48K they'd have thought of something???

Go Jeep!!!

plex

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I used a product called "sugru" as some other JLWF member suggested, and it completely solved the issue.

Also, your problem will depend on how inclined your front gutter is, I have seen some JL have more leveled gutters than others.

20181223_171936.jpg

20181223_175247.jpg

20181223_175401.jpg

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Because it never rains where I live , Received my first soaking yesterday at the car wash. Lol Grabbed a handful of quarters out of my big jar of quarters on the front seat and started my washing , needed a little more time so put the wond down and opened the driver door to get those quarters and wow it was a waterfall into the jeep. Laughed because read it here first otherwise would’ve been like WTF is this.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2015 Cherokee TH, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Oh ya I forgot, the water while raining also runs from the center of the windshield to the outer side within the channel created by the Freedom Tops. Center to left, center to right then down in you cabin. That's why it's more water than the gutter holds! Try it with a hose or a bottle of water you'll see!

Go Jeep!!!

Advertisement

Rubitrux

Advertisement