Water streaming into cabin when opening door

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Mine does the same...tempted to stick a piece of chewed gum in the gutter to prevent this...I'm sure they did some simulated rain testing, hard to believe this can happen.
I was just looking at this. The JL has a rain gutter with downspout that runs down either side of the windshield A pillar. Does anyone know where this ends to drain? I bet mine is draining right into my passenger floor. The channel goes all the way to the driver side so I may stuff the passenger downspout and see if that solves it.
Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I was just looking at this. The JL has a rain gutter with downspout that runs down either side of the windshield A pillar. Does anyone know where this ends to drain? I bet mine is draining right into my passenger floor. The channel goes all the way to the driver side so I may stuff the passenger downspout and see if that solves it.
I guess you could plug them for a test but I would not leave them plugged. Those run down to the underside of the jeep. You could pour water in them to see if it is coming out the bottom as it should. Here is a video that goes over the changes in the water drainage for the JL vs the JK and will show you where all of that water is supposed to run.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
It actually runs from the center front windshield down channel of top seam (HT anyway) and misses the gutter completely and will keep your floor mats always damp! Really bad design!!

Sost1sg I have that same leak, and it is a leak in my JLUS. I can make it leak with a hose but up to this point have no idea where it gets thru??

The guy that sais it's a Jeep thing, that was true in my first CJ5 in 1965 but it's now 2018 abd that is BS!! Crap, even Harley Davidson stopped their oil leaks!!

GoJeep!!

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess you could plug them for a test but I would not leave them plugged. Those run down to the underside of the jeep. You could pour water in them to see if it is coming out the bottom as it should. Here is a video that goes over the changes in the water drainage for the JL vs the JK and will show you where all of that water is supposed to run.
Thanks for the vid. I'm going to poke around a bit tomorrow and see what i can find.

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I might try rtv in the channel on a slant. It can still drain from the front but forces the water to the back of the door.

Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this is where the gutter ends. It doesn’t run to the vehicle bottom. Seems like a stupid place to drain. A few more cents and they coulda run a hose all the way down, which is what I might do.

A48E8A16-85FD-424A-B060-3F8E5782E1EA.jpeg

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
So this is where the gutter ends. It doesn’t run to the vehicle bottom. Seems like a stupid place to drain. A few more cents and they coulda run a hose all the way down, which is what I might do.

A48E8A16-85FD-424A-B060-3F8E5782E1EA.jpeg
Is it possible to replace it with a clear tube so you an see when there's a blockage eventually?

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it possible to replace it with a clear tube so you an see when there's a blockage eventually?
I guess you probably could if you folded the windshield down. The drain tube is tucked into the a-pillar and is visible if u look for it

fzdan4256

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi Billet Silver , 6 speed
Today was the first time my 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU has been driven in the rain. I pulled into my garage and opened the door and a small stream of water came pouring down into the Jeep and all over me. I had this issue with my 2013 JKU. I thought with new premium soft top this would be resolved. If they would have just extended the track above the door it would have fix it. Any one else notice this?

E8547A6A-4544-47F1-828A-D6D6AABDA4F5.jpeg
Mine does the same thing. Its a wrangler....It is what it is !

Sponsored

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Is the drivers side drain the same? I will probably silicon both sides, even if I don't have the leak...preventive maintenance!
How do you remove the side cowl to get to the drain (as shown)?

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is the drivers side drain the same? I will probably silicon both sides, even if I don't have the leak...preventive maintenance!
How do you remove the side cowl to get to the drain (as shown)?
I would imagine they’re the same, but I have no issue with my driver side so I didn’t check. The side cowl is super easy. Just remove the two bolts on the piece itself and then the two on the piece under the windshield on the hood. The cowl then just slides out.

Last edited:

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Fixed my issue. Used silicone to seal the area shown in the below image at the arrow. Rained all last night and it’s bone dry this morning :rock:

7FEA4A98-35BE-44A2-9E1E-DBB48D860ACB.jpeg
Sorry this isn't clear to me...but are you and the OP experiencing leaking from the same place?

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry this isn't clear to me...but are you and the OP experiencing leaking from the same place?
I don’t think so. I think OP was commenting about the short gutter when u open the door. I was getting a streaming leak inside the jeep on the passenger side under the dash that was making my floor wet.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I don’t think so. I think OP was commenting about the short gutter when u open the door. I was getting a streaming leak inside the jeep on the passenger side under the dash that was making my floor wet.
Yeah...read again and thought that. Any solution of the OP's leak? The JL I test drove did this.
Sponsored