Budshd

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon w/Extreme Pkg, 2019 911 Turbo S
Hi All,
Newbie installer on my own 23 Wrangler 392. I have a Warn 12-S Platinum winch, with Winch plate 101255. I have the winch and plate mounted to the Jeep. I cannot, for the life of me, get the bumper back on. When I go to reinstall the bumper, the studs on the bumper are too short to even get the nuts threaded on the back. Seven hours on Saturday of hair pulling, and I have none to pull to start with. I watched install videos all week in preparation for this task, and never saw this pop up. Must be good editing or user error on my end!
I have attached a couple pics for reference of the install. Winch plate off, no problem reinstalling the bumper.
I appreciate the guidance!

255EAF5B-9DEE-4763-B052-14E0F35604AF.jpeg

26F1CEBE-17F1-4BB6-A05F-DF0972009656.jpeg

E678C10A-C02C-4053-9FFF-35673942DED8.jpeg

A3E99817-026E-4475-A730-AF530FC8A5C4.jpeg
Sponsored

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would start by loosening the 4 tow hook reinforcement brackets. Those could be causing the holes to not properly line up. Also, the two reinforcement brackets on the inner frame are making contact with your winch. I would take those off and grind them for clearance. With all of that said, I don’t know if the newer models made changes to the bumper bolt lengths.

OP
OP
Budshd

Budshd

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would start by loosening the 4 tow hook reinforcement brackets. Those could be causing the holes to not properly line up. Also the two reinforcement brackets on the inner frame are making contact with your winch. I would take those off and grind them for clearance.
Thanks for the info. I do have the holes lined up and open, to get the studs on the bumper to the hole. I just can’t get them in far enough to attach the mounting nuts.

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Is that stack of rope in front, in the way? And just for clarification, you have the OEM steel bumper, right?

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My 10S was so tight, I gave up and had a pro shop install it.

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I just did this over the weekend. You need help lining up the studs to the chassis holes. (Buddy or wife on one side and you on the other)
When you do that you need to almost body slam yourself into the bumper which should be enough to get the studs to pass through the holes. You only need a little bit to get the 18mm nuts started. Man, I went through this and was getting pissed off and tired! You'll get it. Make sure the two black tie wraps are tight enough to bring the winch plate aligned with the chassis holes.

OP
OP
Budshd

Budshd

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that stack of rope in front, in the way? And just for clarification, you have the OEM steel bumper, right?
The stack of rope is the winch line. I zip tied out of the way to use the vehicle. With that out of the way, I still have the issue.

Yes it is the factory steel bumper.

OP
OP
Budshd

Budshd

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just did this over the weekend. You need help lining up the studs to the chassis holes. (Buddy or wife on one side and you on the other)
When you do that you need to almost body slam yourself into the bumper which should be enough to get the studs to pass through the holes. You only need a little bit to get the 18mm nuts started. Man, I went through this and was getting pissed off and tired! You'll get it. Make sure the two black tie wraps are tight enough to bring the winch plate aligned with the chassis holes.
The holes are lined up. When I try and tighten the nuts to the bumper studs. I can’t grab them with the nut. I tried using a rubber mallet to “assist” in getting it closer, with no luck.

Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Its been so long since I added the winch to my factory steel bumper. I dont recall that bump out that you show in your pics.(behind the winch line) Isnt the winch line supposed to feed through the bumper? Maybe the bump out and the line is preventing your bumper from being close enough to engage the bolts.

OP
OP
Budshd

Budshd

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its been so long since I added the winch to my factory steel bumper. I dont recall that bump out that you show in your pics.(behind the winch line) Isnt the winch line supposed to feed through the bumper? Maybe the bump out and the line is preventing your bumper from being close enough to engage the bolts.
My understanding from Warn, “That is the right part number. The last time we test fit was 2020.”
The line was out of the way when trying to fit it all together.
My assumption was the same as yours, with the bump out from not being correct. I second guessed Warn and went to “4 Wheel Parts” location near me. He gave me the same part number. 😡

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
You made me go out and check my bumper. LOL. There seems to be very little room as the bumper is very close to the frame mounts. If I were you, I'll loosen the winch plate and see if there's any play in it and try fitting the bumper with the winch plate loosened.
My apologies. I am a tactile person and stuff needs to be physically in front of me to understand fully.

Last edited:

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't think it's a winch issue but rather getting the 8 studs on the steel bumper to pass through the chassis holes deep enough to get the nuts started. it's a royal effing pain in the ass. I don't think the rubber mallet is enough. I poured sweat trying to slam my thighs into the bumper all while wiggling up and down on the bumper.
Sponsored