Vehicle insurance when modified

Beetle Bailey

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, HD Dyna, HD Softail
I will be picking up my 2019 JLUR tomorrow. This morning I called my insurance company (Costco/Ameriprise) to add it to the policy. I plan on putting a lift and 37” tires on 17” wheels.

I was told that any lift must be UNDER 3” and tires cannot be more than 2” larger than the stock tires.

For those of you who have lifted and added larger tires, have you been able to insure your Jeep? Who do you use for insurance? Do you tell the insurance company you have modified your jeep or do you just stay silent?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
USAA didn’t ask me anything.. However that is when I purchased it brand new. My thought process is that in the event something happened, I would just mention it then in attempt to get that money back. I’ve already upgraded the tires and wheels so far. I’m not sure why an insurance company would even care.. never heard of that before. I’ve had plenty of vehicles to include a heavily modified 335i and never had an insurance company care.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
USAA didn’t ask me anything.. However that is when I purchased it brand new. My thought process is that in the event something happened, I would just mention it then in attempt to get that money back. I’ve already upgraded the tires and wheels so far. I’m not sure why an insurance company would even care.. never heard of that before. I’ve had plenty of vehicles to include a heavily modified 335i and never had an insurance company care.
Ditto. USAA never asked me on any of my Jeeps if I have ever modified them.

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
I have Geico and while they didn't care i modified the Jeep, they did want to know what is installed aftermarket wise if i wanted those items covered in an accident.

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
My agent only asked for a itemized list of the cost of components. I add coverage for them when they exceed a certain total amount. I'd be looking for a new agent if they ever told me that.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I just switched to Esurance (it is an allstate company) they only asked for a additional amount (cost) of the mods to be covered. Surprisingly we traded our 5 year old Buick Onclave and the Wrangler was considerably less even with a $6K mod adder.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I just switched to Esurance (it is an allstate company) they only asked for a additional amount (cost) of the mods to be covered. Surprisingly we traded our 5 year old Buick Onclave and the Wrangler was considerably less even with a $6K mod adder.
That’s crazy and wonder if it’s state dependent? We added ours and it went up $1700 per year and it’s a 3rd vehicle. $4700 a year is ridiculous

Brett

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
That’s crazy and wonder if it’s state dependent? We added ours and it went up $1700 per year and it’s a 3rd vehicle. $4700 a year is ridiculous

Brett
WHAT?!?!?! I have just 1 vehicle ('19 JLU) and my full-coverage insurance for it costs $350/year. You pay almost 5 times as much as me - that can't be right.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
WHAT?!?!?! I have just 1 vehicle ('19 JLU) and my full-coverage insurance for it costs $350/year. You pay almost 5 times as much as me - that can't be right.
I wish I was wrong. With Harvey and the tax day floods, insurance has been going up a minimum of 10% per year. I cannot fathom the amount insurance fraud with people flooding their cars. For my truck and wife’s tahoe, we’re at 3k, add 1700 for the Jeep for an annual premium of 4700

Brett

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
We were with Gieco then I bought a Tesla Model S they wanted to quadruple my insurance, I switched to Progressive and got the Tesla to $800 per year, my enclave was mid $680 per year and infinity convertible $800, my issue is I have a 23 year old driver (son) on my insurance this nearly doubles my insurance. When i bought the JL I though I would look around and Esurance beat Progressive by $500 per year and Gieco by thousands $$$ (and we have no claims EVER), I have about 8 quotes and none of them could touch Esurance. They are owned by Allstate however they are an online company so you are not paying for the agent and office infrastructure cost like most local providers. Now for a Tesla, JL, Infinity Convertible, and Ford Fusion I am at $2200 per year with a 23 year old myself and wife remove the boy and it is cut in half almost.... To top it off I have better coverage for that cost than I had with Progressive or Gieco... My Wrangler Sahara with 6k Mods is $310 (6 months

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
In this thread, there will be people claiming they pay outrageously low premium and there will be people saying they pay outrageously high premium. Just be mindful people, you cannot compare premium without many many factors. Even a different neighborhood will get you different premium, much less different states.

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
Something to keep in mind with prices is coverage and how many things are covered with the company. We get a big discount for having everything thru the same company but we also pay extra to have higher coverage. There are lots of variables that go into your cost and it's usually not an apple's to apple's comparison.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Progressive never asked anything about mods to our Jeep. It replaced a 2014 Honda CRV and we got a pro rated rebate.
Sponsored