US vs. Italy 2.0T Engine

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It had the appearance package with the Brembo brakes, BBS wheels and Recaro sports seats. It protected us pretty well against a massive construction dump truck that turned into my lane, sent us into a spin, and then crashed into us and pushed us down the highway, sideways, for about 100 yards.

1115AEA8-09AE-436A-83E1-C6EB48C67669.jpeg

A12A55B9-7DDB-465E-A7A1-1C2F976E9D66.jpeg

D55B9F5F-209B-4846-90AA-B36A5502A89A.jpeg
I'm thinking I'd be as convinced as your wife about not getting into another one of those, after staring at that truck bumper. I think an F-350 would be my DD commuter after that.
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm thinking I'd be as convinced as your wife about not getting into another one of those, after staring at that truck bumper. I think an F-350 would be my DD commuter after that.
Someone who loves to drive fast / small / nimble sports cars might not readily submit to lumbering around in an F-350. I hope to get another Miata someday. A Lotus Elise, however, would be my dream if I ever go that route.

KeithF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th Anniversary
I remember years ago I read a article about how the clutch plate from a 80's-era Lamborghini was the same as a tractor part.

It would be interesting to see how many Fiat, Alfa, Ferrari parts are the same but with different part numbers. I bet there is a difference in cost even if the parts were the same.
Several parts were the same just different numbers, door handles for Alfa Spider and Fiat Spiders were the same but used on different sides. Ferrari door locks and keys fit Alfa Spiders and it was reflected in the prices too.
Alfa Romeo sedan tail lights were used on the Pantera. Fiat X1/9 door handles were the same as the Bertone body Ferrari. I could go on...........

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
It was pretty scary. His bumper was a foot from my face. The whole thing probably lasted a minute but it felt like it lasted a lot longer. It was like we were in slow motion and I thought for sure we were going to flip or he was going to drive over us. It wasn't our time. God was watching out for us that day. We feel much safer in the 4Runner. Hoping to enjoy some top down driving in the Wrangler while not being 6 inches off the ground....lol.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Someone who loves to drive fast / small / nimble sports cars might not readily submit to lumbering around in an F-350. I hope to get another Miata someday. A Lotus Elise, however, would be my dream if I ever go that route.
I'd get a 911, budget permitting of course... those cars are built like tanks.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Isn‘t our tranny a ZF license? Manual is made in Japan. Good stuff in Kokomo.
It just seems like engines and transmission are usually built outside of the US. It makes sense to have them built in the U. S. to save on shipping costs. The transmission from my 2022 Sahara was built in Japan, according to my window sticker. (6 speed manual). And the 3.6L engine was built in Mexico.
Aisin has a US manufacturing plant for its high volume transmissions. Thus why the manual is from Japan

3.6L was built in the US, but they moved production to Mexico for the 2nd gen

Yes, the 8 speed auto is a ZF design and built in the US under license. The diesels get a German built unit for some reason.
Ecodiesel gets the ZF-built 8HP75. It’s a different transmission

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It was pretty scary. His bumper was a foot from my face. The whole thing probably lasted a minute but it felt like it lasted a lot longer. It was like we were in slow motion and I thought for sure we were going to flip or he was going to drive over us. It wasn't our time. God was watching out for us that day. We feel much safer in the 4Runner. Hoping to enjoy some top down driving in the Wrangler while not being 6 inches off the ground....lol.
Good to hear no one was hurt.

I know the feeling. I was stuck under a 18-wheeler for several minutes in a Corvette once. Watching it's wheels grind closer and closer in what seemed like slow motion. The truck drive did not even realize we were stuck under his truck for a while. We probably were under there for 1/2 a mile, maybe more. It seemed like more at the time. Thankfully we walked away without a scratch.

Z06 in Bowling Green .jpg

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO

I know the feeling. I was stuck under a 18-wheeler for several minutes in a Corvette once. Watching it's wheels grind closer and closer in what seemed like slow motion. The truck drive did not even realize we were stuck under his truck for a while. We probably were under there for 1/2 a mile, maybe more. It seemed like more at the time. Thankfully we walked away without a scratch.

Jeep Wrangler JL US vs. Italy 2.0T Engine Z06 in Bowling Green
Omg! That's unbelievable!!! Glad you made it out alive! Wasn't your time either. It's pretty scary on the highways these days in a sports car. Virtually everyone is driving a full size truck or SUV and there are just so many 18 wheelers and other large construction trucks on the road. If I ever got another Miata, I'd stick to the secondary roads with it.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Omg! That's unbelievable!!! Glad you made it out alive! Wasn't your time either. It's pretty scary on the highways these days in a sports car. Virtually everyone is driving a full size truck or SUV and there are just so many 18 wheelers and other large construction trucks on the road. If I ever got another Miata, I'd stick to the secondary roads with it.
Your right, just about 80% of new cars sold today are SUVs or trucks. I love my Wrangler but I have sports cars too. I own a 2020 Miata RF also. I have taken it on several long road trips. My Miata is one of the lower cars I own. I am looking under trucks when they are next to me. I drive the sports cars like I ride a bike. Super cautious and always looking around being super aware. I try staying out of everyone's blind spot. Braking and tapping brakes way ahead of time so the vehicle behind has plenty of time to react. That kind of stuff.

Miata/124 Spiders are like the Wrangler. Insane fun. Both definitely on my all-time top-10 most fun vehicles. Hopefully you get into another Miata one day!

Stay safe!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I was stuck under a 18-wheeler for several minutes in a Corvette once. Watching it's wheels grind closer and closer in what seemed like slow motion. The truck drive did not even realize we were stuck under his truck for a while. We probably were under there for 1/2 a mile, maybe more.

Did the slick road surface cause your Corvette to lose traction and slide under the trailer? It's difficult to envision how else it'd get stuck in that position.

That the truck driver didn't then perceive the additional drag on his trailer is also a head-scratcher.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the slick road surface cause your Corvette to lose traction and slide under the trailer? It's difficult to envision how else it'd get stuck in that position.

That the truck driver didn't then perceive the additional drag on his trailer is also a head-scratcher.
Summer performance tires and freezing temps is a bad mix. Though we were driving super-super careful weather was definitely part of the reason we got stuck under the truck. It was clear weather and we suddenly hit a very short patch of flurries and black ice all of a sudden. The truck did not see us as it was changing into the left lane. Saw the truck coming and tapped the brakes and the car went sideways and under the truck we went. The ABS could not help. The truck driver said he did not realize we were stuck under his truck for a while. Probably not a lot of drag due to the very slick black ice. It seemed like an eternity watching the tires rolling closer and closer. We got lucky. Not a scratch on us. The Car was not so lucky. lol.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@viper88
You weren't hurt, Nick. That's what matters. :like:

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)

Holy.. wow. Glad you're okay!

Bet it gave you flashbacks of the Saleen crash from the Fast & Furious movie..

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
Your right, just about 80% of new cars sold today are SUVs or trucks. I love my Wrangler but I have sports cars too. I own a 2020 Miata RFHTalso. I have taken it on several long road trips. My Miata is probably one of the lower one cars I owned. I am looking under trucks when they are next to me. I drive the sports cars like I ride a bike. Super cautious and always looking around being super aware. I try staying out of everyone's blind spot. Braking and tapping brakes way ahead of time so the vehicle behind has plenty of time to react. That kind of stuff.

Miata/124 Spiders are like the Wrangler. Insane fun. Both definitely in my all-time top-10 most fun vehicles. Hopefully you get into another Miata one day!

Stay safe!
Yeah. Dollar for dollar, it's hard to top the Miata for fun. I drove my Miata just like you described but on our fateful day, there was no escape. We were in the right lane of a two lane highway only going around 45. Rt 6 on the way to the Cape. A huge construction dump truck came barreling down the left lane pulling right along side us. There was lots of traffic and nowhere to go to escape otherwise I would have sped right up and gotten away from him. I looked over to my wife and said, "I've gotta get away from this truck." No sooner had I said that when he turned into our lane, striking my rear quarter and sending us into a spin. He didn't even realize we were there until we were pinned under his front bumper. How the hell did you end up underneath that 18 wheeler?????
Sponsored