4 doors 2.0T engine problem

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2 doors soft top 2019
I have a 4 door 2019 Wrangler JL 4 doors with 2 liter, and I have a loud Diesel noise on all speeds not just on the first gear or on Reverse even though my engine is Petrol!
And sometimes the Jeep has high RPMs and won't change gears even though I'm accelerating slowly and on a normal road without incline.
In this video I'm going from 50Kmh to 100KMh (30MPH to 62MPH)

I have another Two doors soft top(Meaning less weight) but I don't have this problem!

What is causing this issue?
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@SariK
All that seems apparent on the video is regular road noise, coupled with the recurrent clicking of your hazard lights whilst driving.

Beginning at 0:17, I do hear what might be the diesel-like sounds that you claim are occurring. They're not distinctive enough for me to say that is what's happening, though.

Yes, the engine RPM does seem a bit high, relative to your claimed driving speed. The 8-speed automatic is a learning transmission, meaning the shift points will, over time, adapt (adjust) to your driving style. That said, the gear changes shouldn't occur in a manner that allows the engine to overrev, or lug.

Possibly a visit to your dealer for a diagnostic check is warranted.

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@SariK
All that seems apparent on the video is regular road noise, coupled with the recurrent clicking of your hazard lights whilst driving.

Yes, the engine RPM does seem a bit high, relative to your claimed driving speed. The 8-speed automatic is a learning transmission, meaning the shift points will, over time, adapt (adjust) to your driving style. That said, the gear changes shouldn't occur in a manner that allows the engine to overrev, or lug.

Possibly a visit to your dealer for a diagnostic check is warranted.
Thank you for replying. The diesel sound you can’t hear it right in this video but, the thing is this wrangler wasn’t like this before it ran 50K KM until now.
My other 2 door JL with the same engine is much smoother.
Could this be due to bad timing chain?

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah but, your blinker works fine……
Haha that was the hazard lights because I was stopping before on the right side of the road and forgot to turn it off🤣

Sponsored

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Is your oil level good? How many miles since your last oil change?

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is your oil level good? How many miles since your last oil change?
Yes, everything is perfect I take care of everything at the time. I did service not so while ago so I didn't do much. this issue is happening during this last 6 months

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
Does the diesel sound go away once the engine is warmed up?
Are you able to manually shift into higher gears?

Sponsored

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
That "Diesel noise" you hear is normal. Its exactly what the 2.0 should sound like when warming up. The "ticking" noise is the sound of the high pressure injectors for the DI system.

The GME 2.0 has a 2,900 PSI common rail direct injection system powered by a dedicated high pressure pump. Those components are really noisy when warming up and should go away after it's up to temperature.

Your RPMs does seem high but you might be running the engine under high load (wind, large tires incline...etc) So its in a lower gear as a result.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
That "Diesel noise" you hear is normal. Its exactly what the 2.0 should sound like when warming up. The "ticking" noise is the sound of the high pressure injectors for the DI system.

The GME 2.0 has a 2,900 PSI common rail direct injection system powered by a dedicated high pressure pump. Those components are really noisy when warming up and should go away after it's up to temperature.
That's true regarding the sounds made by the FI system, but the OP's videos make plain that the engine is already at regular operating temperature. My 2.0T, when up to temperature, is very quiet.

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Your RPMs does seem high but you might be running the engine under high load (wind, large tires incline...etc) So its in a lower gear as a result.
Correct! but unfortunately, it does not go away, the temperature here is around 40C degrees around 100F and the car was already warm driving for half an hour

Regarding the RPM, sadly not :( There was no incline and driving with a normal load we are talking about acceleration from 30MPH to 62MPH in 30 seconds and the weather was perfect with no wind.

What could be causing this issue?

Thanks

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's true regarding the sounds made by the FI system, but the OP's videos make plain that the engine is already at regular operating temperature. My 2.0T, when up to temperature, is very quiet.
In my other Wrangler it has this noise only on the first gear but in this its on all of them

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To the people who are looking at this thread in the end I had an issue with my timing chain and needed to replace all timing components in order to fix this issue.
Apparently this is a common issue in the 2.0 liter engines because I had it in my other 2 door Wrangler as well
Sponsored