Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Last edited:

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
My other car is a Fiat: it is stylish, a blast to drive, the car is well put together, the engine sounds totally mean and it’s been trouble free.
Jeep Wrangler JL US vs. Italy 2.0T Engine 1C3133BF-33C8-44D8-9478-AD4B9C67B0CE

But I realize 9 out of 10 Americans —and Canadians— wouldn’t touch a Fiat due to that company’s dubious quality 40+ years ago.

By all accounts, the 2.0T is a solid engine. In my individual case, I didn’t want both my vehicles powered by a Fiat engine that was made in Italy —just in case, you know...

For better or worse, that’s how reputations work.
Except that your Fiat 124 is made in Japan by Mazda. So reliability should be stellar.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Except that your Fiat 124 is made in Japan by Mazda. So reliability should be stellar.
It is a hybrid of sorts. Marinara on sushi.

"Final assembly of the car takes place in the Officine Abarth in Turin, Italy, where the model specific parts are installed on the Japanese built roadster." (Source)

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It is a hybrid of sorts. Marinara on sushi.

"Final assembly of the car takes place in the Officine Abarth in Turin, Italy, where the model specific parts are installed on the Japanese built roadster." (Source)
Originally the 124 was possibly going to be an Alfa Romeo. That changed when FCA boss Marchionne determined Alfa Romeos would be manufactured only in Italy. So that was a no-go because it was being built in Japan by Mazda.

The regular Fiat 124 Spider was manufactured along side the Mazda Miata in Mazda's Hiroshima plant. The final assembly of the Abarth "RALLY" model might have been in Italy? I am fairly certain the regular Abarth 124s were made in Japan by Mazda.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Mazda is known to have high QC/QA and be reliable. Fiat not so much. The partnership definitely helped with the 124 Spider's quality.

The 124 is possibly the most reliable Italian car made. It is gorgeous and has soul. The exhaust note is much superior to it's Miata sister's exhaust note.

The FIAT 1.4 MultiAir has had a few reliability issues. The Multiair system can loose oil and cause loss of compression if not run for several weeks/months. The result is no-starts until oil is primed or feed back into the MultiAir system or "brick" as owners call it. There are also coolant loss issues. Mostly from bad thermostat housings. This seems to be a very common problem.

Ironically the early manual transmissions for the ND-series Miata are a lot less reliable then the older NC-series manual transmission used in the Fiat Spider. Those early ND manual transmissions are like glass. The Fiat is more reliable then the Miata sister car in that area. The 124 uses a older NC-series Miata manual transmission that is more robust.

Last edited:

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
One other benefit of the 124 over the Miata is that it comes from the factory with a turbo engine.

Its much easier to tune a turbo engine to make lots of HP than it is to do the same with a NA engine.
A new tune, exhaust, and intercooler would probably net you 60 hp.

Although I realize that the joy of a car like that isn't about power. My wife's Miata was an 01 and it made very little power. But it was more fun to drive than my 400 hp Sti.

Its funny, I took this pic in 2006 of my dog and cat. But in the background are the great pre-kid vehicles we had. The Miata, STi, and Montero.

The crazy thing is that if I had stopped daily driving that Subaru at that point in time, it would be worth $50k now. Ha. Oh well. That is the one car I regret ever selling.

Jeep Wrangler JL US vs. Italy 2.0T Engine 1649387011462

Last edited:

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
My other car is a Fiat: it is stylish, a blast to drive, the car is well put together, the engine sounds totally mean and it’s been trouble free.
Jeep Wrangler JL US vs. Italy 2.0T Engine 1649387011462

But I realize 9 out of 10 Americans —and Canadians— wouldn’t touch a Fiat due to that company’s dubious quality 40+ years ago.

By all accounts, the 2.0T is a solid engine. In my individual case, I didn’t want both my vehicles powered by a Fiat engine that was made in Italy —just in case, you know...

For better or worse, that’s how reputations work.
You know your Fiat is a Mazda Miata with some different sheet metal and a Fiat engine, right? It was manufactured on the same line as the Miata in Japan. Great vehicle though. I had a 2019 Miata. What a great machine. The wife and I were crushed by a huge construction dump truck on the way to Cape Cod. Said he didn't see us. It was a miracle we walked away. Enjoy your 124. I wish they still made them.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You know your Fiat is a Mazda Miata with some different sheet metal and a Fiat engine, right? It was manufactured on the same line as the Miata in Japan. Great vehicle though. I had a 2019 Miata. What a great machine. The wife and I were crushed by a huge construction dump truck on the way to Cape Cod. Said he didn't see us. It was a miracle we walked away. Enjoy your 124. I wish they still made them.
Thanks! I love the car.

Yes. Spiders were made in Japan by Mazda, but Fiat gave it its own body, turbo engine, unique suspension tuning and an amazing exhaust sound. I test drove both before buying: Spider's overall experience was/is much more special than Mazda's.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
Thanks! I love the car.

Yes. Spiders were made in Japan by Mazda, but Fiat gave it its own body, turbo engine, unique suspension tuning and an amazing exhaust sound. I test drove both before buying: Spider's overall experience was/is much more special than Mazda's.
Well, that's all subjective.....lol. I was very torn when I bought my Miata. I'll admit that I did like the look of the 124 better. I had been looking at a 124 Abarth. In the end, I fell in love with the Miata engine. In 2019, they reworked the engine, bumping the HP to 181 and the redline up to 7500. Rowing her through the gears all the way up to redline was amazing. The power delivery was so smooth and linear. They're both great cars though. It's a shame the 124 just didn't sell and was discontinued. Fiat/Alfa Romeo just don't seem to sell here. I don't think there's a better driving experience for the money with one of these vehicles. Part of the reason for my Wrangler order is because I miss the open air driving of my Miata and I don't think the wife will ride in another Miata as we came close to death in one. They're pretty scary on the highway with all the big trucks out there. Damn...I miss that car though. Enjoy that 124!

E35CC962-0FDE-44B9-9628-BB738AD7F235.jpeg