First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I am purchasing a Getaway with Lithium. Wonder how different things are with the smaller Getaway than the expedition. Curious to also know if there’s different lithium wiring versus AGM.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Thanks to all for your comments. Please share with anyone in the market looking for an off-road trailer.
One of my biggest concerns is the marketing. Getting customers that are not experienced with towing, and going off-road with a trailer.
Off-road trailers by definition have the most potential for bad things to happen. Lifted Jeep type vehicles also fall into this category. When done right it is a wonderful family hobby.

To justify the purchase of an off-road trailer you must plan on taking the trailer off road. The trailer should be made to safely go where the Jeep can go.

If you plan on pulling your trailer from Campground to campground don’t get an off-road trailer. Way better and less expensive options are available.

Buying a TB trailer 20 years ago would have been a life changing event in many ways. Financially, emotionally, stress, physically….who knows….nothing positive.

Off grid trailers was my second choice. Since purchasing the TB I have often looked at the OGT site to see how they did it. Just looking at pics I can see OGT got a lot of things right that TB doesn’t even understand. Tongue weight, overall height, suspension, sealed battery box, chargers and so on. Hind sight is 20/20.

I’m sure there are many off-road trailer manufacturers that are doing right. I just don’t own one!

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
When spending upwards of $20k and beyond, you really need to do your Due Diligence. Your experience with rebuilding your Turtleback puts you in a very unique position of knowing as much, if not more than many builders, let alone consumers.

I figured that I needed to start educating myself on this niche of trailer before purchasing given the surprising number of products on the market. I feel like I have only just scratched the surface at this point, and hope to gain much more information while attending the Overland Expo event this fall.

All of the road trips I have taken this summer have been to look at each of these trailers/campers and closely inspect build quality, feature sets, and equipment used in the fabrication process. Not so easy, as these trailers/campers are in relatively short supply and not typically found at your friendly neighborhood RV center. Most of these trailers are custom made for each customer and rolling modifications to "the standard" trailer evolve with great regularity. New models and companies emerge all the time as well.

I think the best advice is to look for a company that has been in business for a few years and has built a solid reputation . . . though, as you unfortunately discovered with Turtleback, still can have unfortunate results. Warranties too are only good if the company stays in business.

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I am purchasing a Getaway with Lithium. Wonder how different things are with the smaller Getaway than the expedition. Curious to also know if there’s different lithium wiring versus AGM.
You should ask TB what the differences are? Some examples of questions to ask.
How wide is the trailer?
What is the WMS of the suspension system?
How tall is the trailer with tent installed?
What is the tongue weight of the trailer as delivered?
What is the weight of the trailer as delivered? Clarify what is being included the weight.
Is the suspension shared with other TB model trailers or is it trailer specific.
Are all outside vendor installed items installed per manufacturer instructions?
What weight rating does the axle have?
If you want to drink the water from the trailer ask if it is potable?

As to lithium battery wiring. This would only change the charger type. Wiring would not change. With my trailer the TB installed charger would do AGM and Lithium. Same for what I installed. The TB charger was to small. The type didn’t matter.

As stated previously in this thread. I needed and still need the extra weight of a AGM battery over a lithium battery to help with needed tongue weight. Thinking lithium is half or more lighter than an AGM. Lithium is not an option for my trailer.

Also TB installed basically everything wrong that attached to the batteries, on my trailer. The accessories on your trailer is what determines how to wire it.
TB had zero understanding of how to wire the trailer properly in regards too charging, discharging, monitoring, voltage drop, fusing and so on.

I hope you get a better trailer than I did.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
You should ask TB what the differences are? Some examples of questions to ask.
How wide is the trailer?
What is the WMS of the suspension system?
How tall is the trailer with tent installed?
What is the tongue weight of the trailer as delivered?
What is the weight of the trailer as delivered? Clarify what is being included the weight.
Is the suspension shared with other TB model trailers or is it trailer specific.
Are all outside vendor installed items installed per manufacturer instructions?
What weight rating does the axle have?
If you want to drink the water from the trailer ask if it is potable?

As to lithium battery wiring. This would only change the charger type. Wiring would not change. With my trailer the TB installed charger would do AGM and Lithium. Same for what I installed. The TB charger was to small. The type didn’t matter.

As stated previously in this thread. I needed and still need the extra weight of a AGM battery over a lithium battery to help with needed tongue weight. Thinking lithium is half or more lighter than an AGM. Lithium is not an option for my trailer.

Also TB installed basically everything wrong that attached to the batteries, on my trailer. The accessories on your trailer is what determines how to wire it.
TB had zero understanding of how to wire the trailer properly in regards too charging, discharging, monitoring, voltage drop, fusing and so on.

I hope you get a better trailer than I did.
We will find out in the next 4-5 weeks. Thanks for your feedback thus far.

Also most trailers are 12 months out minimum with some companies saying two years to build. That’s insane.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
We will find out in the next 4-5 weeks. Thanks for your feedback thus far.

Also most trailers are 12 months out minimum with some companies saying two years to build. That’s insane.
I just took the plunge and visited the TB website. I watched the videos for the Getaway. First time I have seen the owner. Nice to put a face to the voice.
The video showed the same wrong battery charger in the nose cone box. It showed 2 batteries with a charger designed for one battery. The same model installed on my trailer. The cord literally says connect to one battery.
The inverter is installed in an orientation that is not recommended by the manufacturer due to heat dissipation. The inverter is not sealed. The other items in the nose cone box appear to be sealed.
It also shows the same battery boxes not installed per manufacturer installation instructions. They should be mounted from the carry handle down. You can see the mounting holes with nothing in them.

The video shows the same tire carrier mounts that were installed on my trailer. Not good. The TC frame is different.

The stove, sink, and propane tanks are the same as my trailer. You not be able to interchange propane tanks without putting back into the normal position for driving.
It looks like the base cabinetry is stronger than the upgraded marine grade I got with my trailer. I say this because my drawer slide with stove and sinks bows down in the middle, sages. The one in the video did not.

I also noticed in the video when lifting the top to show the interior no tent or gear was on the top. I mentioned this because this set up is very similar to the AT trailer I had many years ago. AT made it very clear when I purchased that all weight should be removed from the top when opening and closing. Weight should be kept to a minimum at all times. The box is top heavy.
We had the AT trailer for about 5 years. The top after about 2 years started to not line up when opening and closing. The large cargo box also started to be out of square. This is noticeable when opening and closing the rear door for the stove/sink.
This is one of the reasons I chose the Expedition model. The Expedition has a steel frame with skins to help support the top heavy box. I don’t think the Getaway has this extra support frame.

The trailer frame/footprint looks like the same frame I got with my Expedition. Not good.

You should ask the TB the questions now. You don’t need to wait till you pick up your trailer. I would not consider these trailers as custom builds. TB just assembles the same parts over and over depending on what the customer is willing to pay for. All the answers to the questions should be readily available.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I just took the plunge and visited the TB website. I watched the videos for the Getaway. First time I have seen the owner. Nice to put a face to the voice.
The video showed the same wrong battery charger in the nose cone box. It showed 2 batteries with a charger designed for one battery. The same model installed on my trailer. The cord literally says connect to one battery.
The inverter is installed in an orientation that is not recommended by the manufacturer due to heat dissipation. The inverter is not sealed. The other items in the nose cone box appear to be sealed.
It also shows the same battery boxes not installed per manufacturer installation instructions. They should be mounted from the carry handle down. You can see the mounting holes with nothing in them.

The video shows the same tire carrier mounts that were installed on my trailer. Not good. The TC frame is different.

The stove, sink, and propane tanks are the same as my trailer. You not be able to interchange propane tanks without putting back into the normal position for driving.
It looks like the base cabinetry is stronger than the upgraded marine grade I got with my trailer. I say this because my drawer slide with stove and sinks bows down in the middle, sages. The one in the video did not.

I also noticed in the video when lifting the top to show the interior no tent or gear was on the top. I mentioned this because this set up is very similar to the AT trailer I had many years ago. AT made it very clear when I purchased that all weight should be removed from the top when opening and closing. Weight should be kept to a minimum at all times. The box is top heavy.
We had the AT trailer for about 5 years. The top after about 2 years started to not line up when opening and closing. The large cargo box also started to be out of square. This is noticeable when opening and closing the rear door for the stove/sink.
This is one of the reasons I chose the Expedition model. The Expedition has a steel frame with skins to help support the top heavy box. I don’t think the Getaway has this extra support frame.

The trailer frame/footprint looks like the same frame I got with my Expedition. Not good.

You should ask the TB the questions now. You don’t need to wait till you pick up your trailer. I would not consider these trailers as custom builds. TB just assembles the same parts over and over depending on what the customer is willing to pay for. All the answers to the questions should be readily available.
Will do. When they confirm the build is about to start (should be soon) I’ll present them with these questions.

Also, I admire the work you put into the trailer but before any work was done it seems you should have sold it and went with a date brand. I get it though. I’m sure you didn’t realize the can of worms your were opening until you were too deep in to the mess.

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Will do. When they confirm the build is about to start (should be soon) I’ll present them with these questions.

Also, I admire the work you put into the trailer but before any work was done it seems you should have sold it and went with a date brand. I get it though. I’m sure you didn’t realize the can of worms your were opening until you were too deep in to the mess.
I made many mistakes picking the TB. I trusted the many reviews I read, the sales staff when asking questions before purchase, paying 100% to start the build, and believing the owner truly cared about the customer after delivery. This is why I took the time to try and help the owner build a better trailer, to no end. I’m trying to help others not make the same mistakes I did.
Selling a unsafe trailer with the potential to cause serious injury or death to others is not an option I would even consider. I care more about the customer than TB does. I feel it is my responsibility to correct the mistakes I have made by helping others make an informed decision before purchase. Something good has to come out of my experience.

You do not need to wait until the build starts to ask questions. The answers should be known now!

I realize I’m way too serious, possibly taking on something I don’t need in my life. When a manufacturer is ok with a tire/wheel combo flying off a trailer they built, tire carriers swinging open while in motion, not following manufacturer installation instructions, not understanding DOT/NHSTA regulations and so on. Somebody’s got to say something.

They did put a bandaid on the tire carrier to help with TC opening.

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Went to the CAT scale today. Doing this now to help design/decisions for continuing the improvements.
The weights were all taken one after the other today. The Jeep and Trailer are not loaded for a trip. Probably 150lbs shy for each to be loaded for a trip.

Jeep weights about 5300lbs
Trailer weights about 3800lbs

ACE3FFEA-C8EA-42C0-90D5-07F141302DD3.jpeg

FA6C2A3C-EED5-4756-8281-EAFE8A10B0C2.jpeg

7F9F95C6-7026-4F2F-BFE6-9796E3217E1E.jpeg

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Going to share more pics of the tire carrier change. Seeing the TB Getaway video made me think I really didn’t show the improvements properly.
Also including a couple of pics showing the stove/sink bow/sagging, I mentioned earlier. It has a 1/4” bow in the middle. Thinking this is going to keep sagging.

Also did some measurements/weighting to see how much space could be added and weight saved by reworking the Kitchen Pantry. Thinking I will gain 3.0 cubic feet of space and save about 50lbs of built in weight by removing the top two drawers and related mounting supports.
This is all part of the weight distribution rework. I added built in weight to properly support the tire carrier. I need to remove built in weight in the same area to equal it all out. I’m currently using Kettle Balls in the nose cone box to counter balance the TC rebuild and keep tongue weight in the 15% range. The trailer is and always was too heavy to just keep adding weight. As this thread mentions many times. I’m removing all non essential built in weight to allow for needed structural improvements.
To steal a statement from another thread I’m participating in “it’s like going down a rabbit hole”. At least I think/hope I can see the end.

DE90DE01-84DE-42B7-978C-CBE021BF3B80.jpeg

A8C531DE-EE76-4FDD-BBF6-5709F4939250.jpeg

0D3291C6-A0C7-4C32-B3A0-6273473A59DA.jpeg

0A523C32-48D0-4D3F-A8A4-2BD4F4075207.jpeg

2DCC3124-5D25-4A31-8149-824888D52A65.jpeg

14A7533D-6B8B-4B3F-9DCD-D54870956D02.jpeg

EDE6F670-A05B-4E4D-8294-294CC6AB7300.jpeg

429BF821-054B-43D3-A2A3-E26ABC852949.jpeg

A712D79B-5DBF-410A-B380-251C7BB770B7.jpeg

62AD71F8-8D0E-4060-A079-ED33D5888153.jpeg

Sponsored

cug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
@NCJL – Thank you for this informative thread! I was about to order a Turtleback Trailer today and was looking for reviews/information and this thread made me reconsider. Not getting a TB, I'll keep looking around.

I signed up here only to say thank you!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Best way to use a wrangler is to pull the trailer to a campsite. easy trails, nothing hard. Then take your light Jeep on the tough trails it was designed for and enjoy.

Getting an extremely offroad capable, fully loaed trailer for a Jeep simply makes no sense. It will get too close or go beyond the towing capabilities of the wrangler, it will limit the offroad capabilities of the Jeep so you wont use the max capabilities of the trailer. Most people end up using these trailers just to go on easy trails, it makes no sense.

A trailer that matches the jeep capabilities needs to be light. very light.

These fully loaded trailers are better pulled by a Toyota, Mercedes, Gladiator Jeep. These are much better vehicles for "overlanders". Jeeps are for rocks.

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
@NCJL – Thank you for this informative thread! I was about to order a Turtleback Trailer today and was looking for reviews/information and this thread made me reconsider. Not getting a TB, I'll keep looking around.

I signed up here only to say thank you!
You are welcome. Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Best way to use a wrangler is to pull the trailer to a campsite. easy trails, nothing hard. Then take your light Jeep on the tough trails it was designed for and enjoy.

Getting an extremely offroad capable, fully loaed trailer for a Jeep simply makes no sense. It will get too close or go beyond the towing capabilities of the wrangler, it will limit the offroad capabilities of the Jeep so you wont use the max capabilities of the trailer. Most people end up using these trailers just to go on easy trails, it makes no sense.

These fully loaded trailers are better pulled by a Toyota, Mercedes, Gladiator Jeep. These are much better vehicles for "overlanders". Jeeps are for rocks.
Many excellent points!
We will slowly wheel our way to being confident enough to pull this trailer thru the Rubicon and many other great trails. The Jeep and trailer will have many easier trails completed before.

We are still working on the safe for highway travel.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner

Yeah depends on one’s long term goals. Eventually I would like to have several trailer / vehicle combo choices to choose from.

I’m planning to start my collection with my 392 and TB Getaway and eventually get a power wagon, which will open me up to a whole new world of towing capacity options. Would be nice to have choices for road trips, State parks, tough trails, RV parks etc.

Also pricing out an off road trailer switch back S it’s more expensive than my Getaway and this trailer doesn’t have lithium or a similar suspension system like the icon. Additionally, it looks like it can go well above 3500lbs if you load it up like TB Expedition trailer. That’s why I went with a Getaway, which is about 2800lbs fully loaded.

I have yet to see a side my side comparison of the top trailers from anyone as detailed as NCJLs posts here. Until that happens, I really can’t make a blanket assumption.
Sponsored