Sponsored

Turtleback Expedition and JLU Towing Capacity?

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I'm getting very seriously interested in Turtleback's Expedition 2.0. Dry weight of this trailer is 1,850 lbs, and the towing capacity of the JLU is 3,500 lbs. Full tank of water is nearly 400 lbs, add a bunch of gear and a roof top tent and its conceivable to reach or maybe even exceed 3500 lbs. Personally I doubt that, but I read a review stating that the weight can get up to 400 lbs (link for those interested https://theprepared.com/blog/turtleback-expedition-review/ )

Anyway, please let me know if you run with this trailer or similar and how towing it with your JLU has worked out. FYI I have a 2018 8-speed auto with the 3.6L V6.
Sponsored

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
I'm getting very seriously interested in Turtleback's Expedition 2.0. Dry weight of this trailer is 1,850 lbs, and the towing capacity of the JLU is 3,500 lbs. Full tank of water is nearly 400 lbs, add a bunch of gear and a roof top tent and its conceivable to reach or maybe even exceed 3500 lbs. Personally I doubt that, but I read a review stating that the weight can get up to 400 lbs (link for those interested https://theprepared.com/blog/turtleback-expedition-review/ )

Anyway, please let me know if you run with this trailer or similar and how towing it with your JLU has worked out. FYI I have a 2018 8-speed auto with the 3.6L V6.
Woah - no comment on towing capacity but wow, $27,000 for that trailer?!? It looks amazing but I'd rather buy a boat...or another used Jeep...or pay for my kids college.

OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Woah - no comment on towing capacity but wow, $27,000 for that trailer?!? It looks amazing but I'd rather buy a boat...or another used Jeep...or pay for my kids college.
Yeah the price has me a bit sticker shocked, too. But the cheapest stripped down trailer is smittybilt and that costs $8k for just a box you can tow that you can add a roof-top-tent to. I have yet to see anything with water plumbing, sink, stove, and power for less than ~20k at minimum. So I think the price makes sense given everything that's in it but I still don't like the number. Fully loaded is nearly the cost of a new Rubicon too and that's tough to swallow for sure.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yeah the price has me a bit sticker shocked, too. But the cheapest stripped down trailer is smittybilt and that costs $8k for just a box you can tow that you can add a roof-top-tent to. I have yet to see anything with water plumbing, sink, stove, and power for less than ~20k at minimum. So I think the price makes sense given everything that's in it but I still don't like the number. Fully loaded is nearly the cost of a new Rubicon too and that's tough to swallow for sure.
Funny, I was just coming here to report my findings and create a new thread.

I am seriously looking into an overlanding and off-road trailer like this so we don't have the lug around the RTT and awning all the time on top of the Jeep. Everything can already be loaded and stored in the garage. Just attach the off-road trailer and go camping.

It seems perfect, but YES, I AGREE. The cost of these things is shocking to say the least. I get that it's a niche market and can never fully scale to bring cost down, but still... I would love to find something similar to the Smittybilt for like 5K and I would be happy. Here's what I found so far from least expensive to more expensive. Anyone that's willing to add to the list, I would appreciate it as I am waiting to pick up my 392 over the next 8 weeks and have time to decide.

Honestly I just want something like the space trailer, but with a drop down door for cooking and I would be happy.

1. Space Trailers - Starting at $2,800.00
  2. Soloist Outdoor Bravo - Starting at $5,600.00
  3. Rugger 5' Sport - Starting at $6,100.00
  4. Valiant 452 - Starting at $6,500.00 (Back Ordered 14 Months)
  5. Tentrax Overland - Starting at $6,500.00
  6. Rugged and Ready - Starting at $7,250.00
  7. CVT M-416 - Starting at $7,800.00
  8. Smittybilt Scout Habitat Offroad - Starting at $7,900.00
  9. Highland Expedition T3.5 - Starting at $9,500.00
  10. Taxa Wolly Bear - Starting at $11,800.00
  11. Schutt XV-3 - Starting at $12,500.00
  12. Hickory Expedition - Starting at $16,450.00
  13. Turtleback Getaway - Starting at $16,995.00
  14. Off Grid Trailers Switchback S - Stating at $23,500.00
  15. No Weld DIY Trailer - Build Yourself, Flexible Budget
Update: I went with a Turtleback Getaway T3 Package. I chose steel grey clear coat with blue decals to match my hydro blue 392.

Last edited:

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Funny, I was just coming here to report my findings and create a new thread.

I am seriously looking into an overlanding and off-road trailer like this so we don't have the lug around the RTT and awning all the time on top of the Jeep. Everything can already be loaded and stored in the garage. Just attach the off-road trailer and go camping.

It seems perfect, but YES, I AGREE. The cost of these things is shocking to say the least. I get that it's a niche market and can never fully scale to bring cost down, but still... I would love to find something similar to the Smittybilt for like 5K and I would be happy. Here's what I found so far from least expensive to more expensive. Anyone that's willing to add to the list, I would appreciate it as I am waiting to pick up my 392 over the next 8 weeks and have time to decide.

Honestly I just want something like the space trailer, but with a drop down door for cooking and I would be happy.

1. Space Trailers - Starting at $2,800.00
  2. Rugger 5' Sport - Starting at $6,100.00
  3. Valiant 452 - Starting at $6,500.00 (Back Ordered 14 Months)
  4. Tentrax Overland - Starting at $6,500.00
  5. Rugged and Ready - Starting at $7,250.00
  6. CVT M-416 - Starting at $7,800.00
  7. Smittybilt Scout Habitat Offroad - Starting at $7,900.00
  8. Highland Expedition T3.5 - Starting at $9,500.00
  9. Taxa Wolly Bear - Starting at $11,800.00
  10. Schutt XV-3 - Starting at $12,500.00
  11. Hickory Expedition - Starting at $16,450.00
  12. Turtleback Getaway - Starting at $16,995.00
Just do what I did. Score an M1102 trailer for $1600, made by Schutt, and build it out to suit your purposes. Entry cost is substantially less, however you will quickly realize why the pre-built, turn key units cost what they do! We are just using it as a camper setup currently with the soft top that came with it. Telescoping rack and RTT to come, already have the tankless water heater and just need to get a rv water tank/pump setup to hang under it.

20210601_114935-01.jpeg

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Just do what I did. Score an M1102 trailer for $1600, made by Schutt, and build it out to suit your purposes. Entry cost is substantially less, however you will quickly realize why the pre-built, turn key units cost what they do! We are just using it as a camper setup currently with the soft top that came with it. Telescoping rack and RTT to come, already have the tankless water heater and just need to get a rv water tank/pump setup to hang under it.

20210601_114935-01.jpeg
Not a bad idea! Honestly, though the cool factor on some of these trailers is what makes me work harder and try to earn more income. Just got to make more money hahaha. I’m still searching and will add to the list. I’ll post here when I decide which option to go with :)

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I am pretty sure I'm going with the Wooly Bear from TAXA Outdoors. I have some questions for the rep I am going to speak with tomorrow. When I place the order, I'll post the Q&A results here.

OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Certainly you can go cheaper by buying a trailer. But when you start adding up the cost of an off-road suspension, the cost to cut it in (unless you weld), a water pump, plumbing, stove, water heater, storage compartments, seals... I dunno. Certainly makes sense why Turtleback, Off-The-Grid, and Patriot trailers cost so much. It's a misnomer to call them "trailers." Their inside-out campers.

I did order a Turtleback and am super excited. I've got two young boys who love camping and this should suit us well.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I personally don't see much of the point for these trailers. They're quite expensive and heavy, and you are still sleeping in a tent. An RTT is still a tent.

Have you guys check out Hiker Trailer? Their 5x8 Extreme off road camper weighs only 1,100lbs, has a great suspension and can match Jeep tires. You can fit a queen bed inside and actually sleep inside the trailer. I am pretty sure the Jeep will be limited by not being the best TV around, so the Hiker trailer will be as capable as a trailer can be for a Jeep.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I personally don't see much of the point for these trailers. They're quite expensive and heavy, and you are still sleeping in a tent. An RTT is still a tent.

Have you guys check out Hiker Trailer? Their 5x8 Extreme off road camper weighs only 1,100lbs, has a great suspension and can match Jeep tires. You can fit a queen bed inside and actually sleep inside the trailer. I am pretty sure the Jeep will be limited by not being the best TV around, so the Hiker trailer will be as capable as a trailer can be for a Jeep.
I'd really like to see one of those hiker trailers in person, but I like the idea of them. Small generator and an AC, we'd be in business for Texas summer. Propane heater should cover things fine in the winter. Put kayaks or whatever on top.

Paying 10k for something to haul an RTT around in also seems a bit silly to me. Add the RTT and you are getting awfully close to new ultralite travel trailer prices (like a 171 R-Pod). And that has AC/heating/bathroom...

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I'd really like to see one of those hiker trailers in person, but I like the idea of them. Small generator and an AC, we'd be in business for Texas summer. Propane heater should cover things fine in the winter. Put kayaks or whatever on top.

Paying 10k for something to haul an RTT around in also seems a bit silly to me. Add the RTT and you are getting awfully close to new ultralite travel trailer prices (like a 171 R-Pod). And that has AC/heating/bathroom...
Well it is a trade off, you either pay for comfort, or offroad capabilities. The hiker trailers are actually quite popular. I ordered one for my two door, did not go with their most extreme off road one but with their mid-range off road model which honestly is very capable with a lift and the max coupler. I have roof racks, propane, a 7gal road shower, maxx fan, a door on each side, a good size rear galley, 2 windows, electrical power. And it all comes to only 1,200 lbs weight and cost me just under 11k. I can put a RTT on top of it if I want too and then I can have two people sleeping in the trailer and two up top comfortably. But with cali camping being basically cold at night almost every night, and the random wind storms and sometimes rain storms, tent camping absolutely sucks.

Ive camped everywhere here, desert, beach, mountains during any season and it almost always something happens when I am like "fuck this tent".

You can add as much comfort as you want, but that would increase price and weight. To me, a fan, a queen bed, and solid walls are more than enough for California camping. year round. I can spend a week without a shower and it wont bug me (got the shower cause of wife - she can smell me). I can shit on the ground no issues (powerlifting benefit), but I do need a good nights sleep and nice warm meals.

Last edited:

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Well it is a trade off, you either pay for comfort, or offroad capabilities. The hiker trailers are actually quite popular. I ordered one for my two door, did not go with their most extreme off road one but with their mid-range off road model which honestly is very capable with a lift and the max coupler. I have roof racks, propane, a 7gal road shower, maxx fan, a door on each side, a good size rear galley, 2 windows, electrical power. And it all comes to only 1,200 lbs weight and cost me just under 11k. I can put a RTT on top of it if I want too and then I can have two people sleeping in the trailer and two up top comfortably. But with cali camping being basically cold at night almost every night, and the random wind storms and sometimes rain storms, tent camping absolutely sucks.

Ive camped everywhere here, desert, beach, mountains during any season and it almost always something happens when I am like "fuck this tent".

You can add as much comfort as you want, but that would increase price and weight. To me, a fan, a queen bed, and solid walls are more than enough for California camping. year round. I can spend a week without a shower and it wont bug me (got the shower cause of wife - she can smell me). I can shit on the ground no issues (powerlifting benefit), but I do need a good nights sleep and nice warm meals.
We usually camp out on the beach (which I think I'm officially done with, I hate waking up sticky and sandy) or out in West Texas / New Mexico. Our RTT held up really well in the winds and weather, although you've got to stand outside to cook, which is an issue with the teardrops as well. And if it is warm outside, you are just going to have to sleep hot. There's definitely trade-offs.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Certainly you can go cheaper by buying a trailer. But when you start adding up the cost of an off-road suspension, the cost to cut it in (unless you weld), a water pump, plumbing, stove, water heater, storage compartments, seals... I dunno. Certainly makes sense why Turtleback, Off-The-Grid, and Patriot trailers cost so much. It's a misnomer to call them "trailers." Their inside-out campers.

I did order a Turtleback and am super excited. I've got two young boys who love camping and this should suit us well.
Amen to that. Which model did you order in with which options? Do you mind sharing your final cost?

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner

Couple points.

Some people prefer sleeping in a tent versus an actual trailer for camping. There’s no right or wrong, just preference or time of the year.

Often times these trailers are lighter and smaller than anything else on the market. Making it easier to go further out.

For me, the greatest enticement to go with one of these options is to get the rooftop tent and awning off the roof of the car. Right now, we’re hauling both of these units everywhere we go and it’s quite annoying.

The biggest draw for me is being able to store everything on top of the small trailer in my small size garage and I can go camping whenever I want. But when we’re just driving around town there won’t be anything on top of the jeep.

At the end of the day if business keeps going well I could see myself having multiple solutions including one of these :)