OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
:CWL::CWL::CWL:
Wtf. That guy said that with a straight face?
Yep. Same employee that said the Wheel/tire combo was fine. Thinking he was the shop foreman. Out of the 3 employees that I meet when picking up the trailer. He was the leader for sure.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I pick up my getaway in a couple weeks. They are behind schedule. Sales seem through the roof.

Genuinely curious what trailer company you all find without issues or the least amount. That’s not a challenge, I’m just curious to discover what you all end up with long term. It will be cool to see who becomes the best in the industry since it’s evolving so fast!

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I pick up my getaway in a couple weeks. They are behind schedule. Sales seem through the roof.

Genuinely curious what trailer company you all find without issues or the least amount. That’s not a challenge, I’m just curious to discover what you all end up with long term. It will be cool to see who becomes the best in the industry since it’s evolving so fast!
Not sure of your meaning.
Hopefully your experience is great.
Everyone is behind schedule right now. Just started a new build. I ordered a JTRD yesterday, possibly a 3 month wait, 1 ton axles same, lift kit same, 40” tires same… Seems a lot of places say supply issues are the problem. Lot of websites are still using the COVID excuse, with a disclaimer. None of them said sales were thru the roof.

The JL is being replaced by the JT. Weight of the trailer is part of the reason.

I think I’ve explained pretty well over the last 6 pages that I’m not looking for a new or different manufacturer. No one more than me wants TB to be the best manufacturer there is. I probably own one the most expensive ones. I have over 50K in mine. My review hurts me financially.

To be one of the best manufacturers a company should start with the following.
Now how much the trailers weights.
Follow manufacturer installation instructions of the product installed.
Have a clear understanding of DOT rules regarding the manufacturing of a trailer.

Also not sure what is evolving in the industry. Off-road trailers have been around for the last 20 plus years I have been in the market. As previously stated one of the reasons I picked the TB was the similarity to the AT I had 20 years ago. I had just as many trailer choices then as I do now.

To clarify. I’m not looking for a better manufacturer. This experience will be my last with off-road trailers.

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I was linked this thread from the Gladiator forum. I had been looking at trailers that may make camping more enjoyable for the family, and after watching a certain YT family's trips Turtle Back seamed like a solid trailer. Thanks to your thread I know better. Anyways, look forward to seeing your posts on the Gladiator forum.

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I was linked this thread from the Gladiator forum. I had been looking at trailers that may make camping more enjoyable for the family, and after watching a certain YT family's trips Turtle Back seamed like a solid trailer. Thanks to your thread I know better. Anyways, look forward to seeing your posts on the Gladiator forum.
Let us know which brand you end up choosing and why you chose that brand. And if you can be sure to give us updates on said brands overall quality through its usage. This will help everyone make better decisions since I’m still searching for the “killer” off road trailer company.

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I read your entire journey. I was shocked as to how much work you needed to do to that trailer to fix the manufacturing defects. I will scratch these folks off my list and start looking for another trailer,

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
The journey is not complete. I still have the weight distribution issue too complete, plus. With the Gladiator on order we decided to build it before any more work on the trailer. The trailer is better now, feels and acts safer on the road.
The major concern with the trailer now is the 3500k rating stamped on the Vin. I have legal concerns knowing the trailer weights almost 4K. I also have frame concerns. It is probably ok on the highway and light off-road use. This is not what we bought the trailer for. Dragging this trailer over Rubicon type trails will never be a good idea. We would at least like to confidently pull this trailer over long desert type trips. To do this me and the team of experts think reinforcement of the frame is needed. Also recertification of the trailer to 5200k is being explored.
Stay tuned. This process is going to take time. The plan is to have the “Killer” trailer completed next year, with a new modified manufacturer Vin stamp.

PhotographyTalk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator and Turtleback Expedition Trailer
Dang, this sounds like one party you have had with your Turtleback! I’ve had mine for just over a year now and seriously have had no issues with mine. And brother, mine has seen some miles! Actually I take that back, I had one issue, my big ass spare tire knocked off one of my reflectors. Called up the Turtleback peeps and they had a replacement out to me overnight.

Actually I read some of your thread here, have you taken this trailer out? Brother you should! You spend so much time tearing it apart and putting it back together because something is off center by a millimeter. Dang, get out there and use it. I can tell you, I’ve not only put some miles on mine, I’ve also brought this trailer to some very harsh areas. And frankly speaking other than the hiccup with the above reflector and then there was an issue with my tents awning filling up with water and partially collapsing during a monsoon downpour in Arizona 3 months ago (which was crazy), but then again, I didn’t pick up my tent from Turtleback, so that doesn’t count!

At the end of the day, this isn’t a $2 million dollar Bugatti garage queen, it’s a $42,000 offroad trailer that is designed to take a beating as you drag it over wherever the hell you want to bring it. If the water tank is off center by 4mm, I don’t care. As long as this thing takes the beating and doesn’t fail, and in the last 13 months, this trailer has crushed expectations on every one of my real world get my ass out in the trail adventures.

Just my 2 cents brother, while you have done some cool upgrades to your trailer (space above water tank is badass)... enough is enough… get out there and use it. Just my humble opinion, but I think doing so, you’ll start REALLY enjoying what this thing was built for.

P.S. I have 35” Nitto Trail Grapplers mud tires on mine and never rubbed.

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Dang, this sounds like one party you have had with your Turtleback! I’ve had mine for just over a year now and seriously have had no issues with mine. And brother, mine has seen some miles! Actually I take that back, I had one issue, my big ass spare tire knocked off one of my reflectors. Called up the Turtleback peeps and they had a replacement out to me overnight.

Actually I read some of your thread here, have you taken this trailer out? Brother you should! You spend so much time tearing it apart and putting it back together because something is off center by a millimeter. Dang, get out there and use it. I can tell you, I’ve not only put some miles on mine, I’ve also brought this trailer to some very harsh areas. And frankly speaking other than the hiccup with the above reflector and then there was an issue with my tents awning filling up with water and partially collapsing during a monsoon downpour in Arizona 3 months ago (which was crazy), but then again, I didn’t pick up my tent from Turtleback, so that doesn’t count!

At the end of the day, this isn’t a $2 million dollar Bugatti garage queen, it’s a $42,000 offroad trailer that is designed to take a beating as you drag it over wherever the hell you want to bring it. If the water tank is off center by 4mm, I don’t care. As long as this thing takes the beating and doesn’t fail, and in the last 13 months, this trailer has crushed expectations on every one of my real world get my ass out in the trail adventures.

Just my 2 cents brother, while you have done some cool upgrades to your trailer (space above water tank is badass)... enough is enough… get out there and use it. Just my humble opinion, but I think doing so, you’ll start REALLY enjoying what this thing was built for.

Happy you are enjoying your trailer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon

Hmm. Maybe I need to clear some things up. We absolutely enjoy and use our trailer. We have logged over 10,000 miles pulling the trailer over many different types of terrain.

This thread was only created to share my experience with the purchase of the TB trailer and the real world issues I have experienced with the trailer. I have tried to be as open minded as possible throughout the entire process with direct contact with TB owner and finally this thread.

When pulling the trailer/posting pics with the trailer in the pic, we get a lot of attention. We get asked a lot of questions regarding the trailer. I needed a place too throughly express my opinion.

I cannot ignore the fact that I have a trailer that weights close to 4,000lbs with a VIN sticker that says 3,500lbs max! The owner of TB’s answer to this was “ignorance” and that I should also ignore what the VIN says because “the computer just prints those out”.

Lets also clear up the 4mm and water tank. The trailer that I purchased from TB was not properly weight distributed. With all the items shifted to the passenger side of the trailer (tent, water heater, water tank, tire carrier and so on) an imbalance was created by the original design. I experienced a real world event that needed to be addressed. Thinking about it now, my trailer as received, probably had more passenger side weight then tongue weight.

Just my real world experience.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys

Man... I wish I could dump 42k on ANYTHING and not give a shit too Pal.

Oh well, silly me.

PhotographyTalk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brother you ARE being a little "Silly". I didn't say I didn't give a shit. So let's not go there. IF I had legitimate problems with the trailer I WOULD give a shit. However I'm just adding another opinion and experience from towing this thing around for the last year. That's all. Just food for thought.

Also I'm saying for ME, IF the water tank of this offroad trailer is off by 4mm, being that this thing is 6' wide or so... that's not going to change how this thing handles the trails. Just my 2 cents, just like this thread is the feelings, opinion and tolerance of the OP.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Brother you ARE being a little "Silly". I didn't say I didn't give a shit. So let's not go there. IF I had legitimate problems with the trailer I WOULD give a shit. However I'm just adding another opinion and experience from towing this thing around for the last year. That's all. Just food for thought.

Also I'm saying for ME, IF the water tank of this offroad trailer is off by 4mm, being that this thing is 6' wide or so... that's not going to change how this thing handles the trails. Just my 2 cents, just like this thread is the feelings, opinion and tolerance of the OP.
So you can dish it out, just not take it.

Perhaps you should read the ENTIRE thread by the OP, before you tell him that "Enough is enough." Much more going on for him than a few millimeters here and there.

PhotographyTalk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you can dish it out, just not take it.

Perhaps you should read the ENTIRE thread by the OP, before you tell him that "Enough is enough." Much more going on for him than a few millimeters here and there.
LOL... yeah you got me.

Enjoy the kool aid.
Sponsored