Sponsored

TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
@NCJL I'm surprised you went through the trouble of relocating that turtle after all you went through.

You should rebrand yours a 'Tortoiseback', since it is now actually well-adapted for travel over land. (Heavier shell too!) Get some new artwork on there.

I commiserate with the bit you mentioned, where people would ask about the trailer, and your ambivalence on recommending one.

Definitely let them know how much time, money, and effort you put into it, in order to get it to that (working) condition. Then maybe offer to sell them a $500 guide on how to do it themselves.

Jeep owners get it free here already, of course.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Yes the topic of what to do with the turtle hidden underneath the spare tire was much talked about with the wife. In the end we decided on what you see. Keeping with the idea of repairing and fixing the trailer. Putting the the turtle on the nose cone box is just another example of what TB does wrong. The nose cone box takes the most abuse of any of the cargo boxes, yet it is the only cargo box TB doesn’t offer a skid plate for!?!? I also added a light underneath the turtle.

I was still communicating with TB on regular basis thru the tire carrier rebuild. I was hoping TB could provide some parts to help with cost. Like steel plates they had that I could repurpose for welding. Also a CAD type file that I could use to make a larger turtle. I’m still going to make a fire ring grate.
TB was no help. Amazing!

Love the name change idea.

The trailer gets a lot of attention. I’ve actually had 2 separate conversations with people while camping inquiring about the quality. One included safety concerns. The safety concern conversation was started because the person wanted me to help with legal issues, class action style. I did offer my experience. I also explained that I didn’t think a class action style case would get anything. I don’t think TB incorporated has any money.
I have never recommended to anyone a TB purchase. I recommend researching and asking a lot of questions regardless of who the manufacturer is. I hope this thread addresses the questions that need to be asked.

TB definitely knows my time and cost to repair. They also know the safety hazards their trailer building skills create.

I have offered this info directly to TB. I have been an open book with TB and on this thread in regard to my experience with my TB trailer.
I have suspicions somehow TB is getting info from this thread.

I have a dream that someone like AEV will design and build an off-road trailer. Setting the standard for all to follow. I think they could do it cheaper and better than anyone else.

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
The Road Shower tank in front of the tent is used as our potable water. It is about 7 gallons. The RS is listed for potable water use with instructions on how to use and maintain the rating. We fill up water bottles from the tank.

BC13C288-440F-41AB-AA3C-28224043C509.jpeg

128E3624-1640-4B93-97AF-16D79F6AF8EC.jpeg

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
The Road Shower tank in front of the tent is used as our potable water. It is about 7 gallons. The RS is listed for potable water use with instructions on how to use and maintain the rating. We fill up water bottles from the tank.

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review 128E3624-1640-4B93-97AF-16D79F6AF8EC

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review 128E3624-1640-4B93-97AF-16D79F6AF8EC
I've almost purchased the Road shower so many times, but I don't get out enough to justify it.

Is the location also to heat the tank? When you switched the propane system to two identical tanks, did you keep the 7 gallon hot water heater?

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Fantastic thread, thanks for sharing. I can’t believe that a trailer that cost $35k was so poorly designed and constructed. It sounds like you should be in the trailer business.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
The Roadshower is only used for drinking water. Quality is good, potable water listed equals expensive. Shower use would be primitive style, not consistent. I would think.
Still have the propane water tank. Use for dishes, clean up and showers.

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Things to look for. I’m going to compare the Adventure Trailer AT Horizon that I owned (purchased 2003ish) and the TB. Specifically to the weight distribution from the factory. The items I will addressee were highlighted by the Team of experts I found.

I do not remember all the specifics from the AT trailer. Thinking it was a 2000lbs rated trailer. 20 gallon water tank, 2-5 gallon fuel tanks. These items were built into the trailer, centered side to side and in front of the main cargo box. A small nose cone box was, further in front with a battery and accessories. On the back of the trailer was the tire carrier. The main cargo box was empty, no built ins. The side cargo boxes had small built ins, camp stove being the biggest.
The cargo box layout was similar to my TB. The TB is just bigger.

The TB specs have been well documented in this thread.

The bullet points.
The AT design had the built in weight installed on the tongue of the trailer.
The TB design has the water tank over the axle, with additional weight (Kitchen Pantry, propane tanks) installed behind the axle.
The AT came from the factory with 15% plus tongue weight.
The TB from the factory is maybe 10% probably less tongue weight. Yes, I asked TB they didn’t know. I did not weigh the trailer in the beginning. I can however tell you this. When changing out the wheels due to tire rubbing, the front of the trailer raised itself, forcing me to catch it, keeping the trailer from pointing up, resting on the tire carrier. I know how to jack things up, change a tire. The raising started once the tire started to lift. I didn’t need to weigh the trailer, I had proof I needed more tongue weight.

This is a simple thing to look at when searching for an off-road trailer.

The TB Kitchen Pantry is on my list of things to address. I’m guessing dry it may weight up to 250lbs with drawers and associated structure for mounting. I hope to reduce most the weight with a redesign. Helping the tongue weight issue even more than previous redo’s.

The smaller more top heavy the trailer is, the more important tongue weight and weight distribution become.
A pic of the AT on the Rubicon many years ago, my wife and her Jeep pulling. The white TJ is mine. The orange LJ is hers.

15598902-B9F1-48E3-989B-F0E2739F5B31.jpeg

4DAE6E72-A0E7-40D5-AD6D-1176D0C0FD50.jpeg

8E1E6381-73E0-421D-A0EF-3386BBE6D3A2.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I just noticed/remembered looking thru the AT pics. I removed the small nose cone box and installed the FridgeFreeze on the tongue.
And yes the same FridgeFreeze installed 17 years later in the TB.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I just noticed/remembered looking thru the AT pics. I removed the small nose cone box and installed the FridgeFreeze on the tongue.
And yes the same FridgeFreeze installed 17 years later in the TB.
Terrific thread. You really got a raw deal. Nothing grinds my gears like companies that make subpar products. To spend that much time fixing the trailer, you definitely need to have your own decals. I wouldn't give them the time of day.

xtremejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Things to look for. I’m going to compare the Adventure Trailer AT Horizon that I owned (purchased 2003ish) and the TB. Specifically to the weight distribution from the factory. The items I will addressee were highlighted by the Team of experts I found.

I do not remember all the specifics from the AT trailer. Thinking it was a 2000lbs rated trailer. 20 gallon water tank, 2-5 gallon fuel tanks. These items were built into the trailer, centered side to side and in front of the main cargo box. A small nose cone box was, further in front with a battery and accessories. On the back of the trailer was the tire carrier. The main cargo box was empty, no built ins. The side cargo boxes had small built ins, camp stove being the biggest.
The cargo box layout was similar to my TB. The TB is just bigger.

The TB specs have been well documented in this thread.

The bullet points.
The AT design had the built in weight installed on the tongue of the trailer.
The TB design has the water tank over the axle, with additional weight (Kitchen Pantry, propane tanks) installed behind the axle.
The AT came from the factory with 15% plus tongue weight.
The TB from the factory is maybe 10% probably less tongue weight. Yes, I asked TB they didn’t know. I did not weigh the trailer in the beginning. I can however tell you this. When changing out the wheels due to tire rubbing, the front of the trailer raised itself, forcing me to catch it, keeping the trailer from pointing up, resting on the tire carrier. I know how to jack things up, change a tire. The raising started once the tire started to lift. I didn’t need to weigh the trailer, I had proof I needed more tongue weight.

This is a simple thing to look at when searching for an off-road trailer.

The TB Kitchen Pantry is on my list of things to address. I’m guessing dry it may weight up to 250lbs with drawers and associated structure for mounting. I hope to reduce most the weight with a redesign. Helping the tongue weight issue even more than previous redo’s.

The smaller more top heavy the trailer is, the more important tongue weight and weight distribution become.
A pic of the AT on the Rubicon many years ago, my wife and her Jeep pulling. The white TJ is mine. The orange LJ is hers.

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review 8E1E6381-73E0-421D-A0EF-3386BBE6D3A2

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review 8E1E6381-73E0-421D-A0EF-3386BBE6D3A2

Sorry to hear about your challenges. I have a list of a dozen trailer company’s. They will definitely not be on it.

I have had my own build challenges which I’m finally finishing up this week. I feel things are very different in general now vs my first build 20 years back.

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Excellent thread here . . . thank you for sharing your poor and well documented experience with TurtleBack trailers. Clearly not a company to do business with any time soon. Apparently, the change in company ownership and the COVID shutdown worked against you.

I've been shopping trailers aggressively this summer with the intention of placing a firm order by the end of the year. I have plans to attend the Overland Expo event in Flagstaff at the end of September to gather information, but I have already looked at Offgrid trailers, Mission Overland, and Hive Campers . . . essentially to accomplish the same objectives as you, though without a rooftop tent.

Ratiogear

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
To reiterate others: thanks for your detailed documentation of the issues and repair process you went through.

I applaud your calm, but to give you the perspective of someone with way less experience with trailers: I could not even begin to make the changes you've had to make. If I met you in real life and asked about your awesome trailer, I'd appreciate a heavy warning away from TB. It's insane how poorly constructed their product was, and their general demeanor as described (doing you a favor, it's how we've always done it, potable rated isn't important, the electrical system is installed properly, etc.).

If I spend 35k on a car, I'm protected by warranty and lemon laws. If I start a 35k home remodel project, I'm only putting 20-50% down and I'm not paying the rest until things are perfect. A purchase like this deserves similar consumer protections.
Sponsored