First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I love the Jeep travel/event social media feeds. For example when Light Bright did RCORP that was cool; as it is a park I know well. TR has done a cool one to Alaska. Or wibornz doing RCORP and his trip report. Many others on here. All great content. I also like seeing what gear they are using, and how it is used, when it is not a sales pitch.

Where it gets frustrating is when it becomes the push to sell the product of the week, and we do not hear why the prior product was retired. These are important details for the average Jeep guy planning what to do with his own money. For example one week the RK lift disappears and is replaced with an Icon Vehicle Dynamics. All the talk is on how the IVD is the best ever with it's cool aluminum arms with steel skids. But there is no talk as to why it replaced the RK or does it even perform better? It is a silent topic as RK obviously had comped/paid for the earlier review, and now IVD has comped/paid.

So you end up in a mode where you can not trust the content as the motivations for the change are not clear. Even if he said "Hey, nothing wrong with the RK but IVD sent us a kit to try out.... Here is what's different between the two and where they each have their pros and cons..." this would be great. But they don't do this as they must paint that new comp/paid product in a positive only light. It is not envy to point out the problems above; and if they were just more transparent it would not even be a problem.

Where this forum is different is we get the honest opinion from people who actually really use their stuff and paid for it out of pocket.

For example Roky was who got me to go with RK after seeing his content, and taking to him over it. I was a Synergy fan (and still am for the steering stuff) but converted off their arms. We also have many MetalCloak fans on here with great reasons to go that route.

We also have guys on here who have gone one way and then changed due to problems - and knowing those problems and why is a good thing. Something missing with the paid review content above.

But it's your money and your Jeep so if you want to follow along and base your buying decisions on what TR buys versus some on this forum that is your decision. Enjoy your Jeep :rock:
Sponsored

Marman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I enjoy his vids and take the info for what it is worth. I would never make a decision based on one persons opinion, but use there opinion as well as others to base my decision on.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I love the Jeep travel/event social media feeds. For example when Light Bright did RCORP that was cool; as it is a park I know well. TR has done a cool one to Alaska. Or wibornz doing RCORP and his trip report. Many others on here. All great content. I also like seeing what gear they are using, and how it is used, when it is not a sales pitch.

Where it gets frustrating is when it becomes the push to sell the product of the week, and we do not hear why the prior product was retired. These are important details for the average Jeep guy planning what to do with his own money. For example one week the RK lift disappears and is replaced with an Icon Vehicle Dynamics. All the talk is on how the IVD is the best ever with it's cool aluminum arms with steel skids. But there is no talk as to why it replaced the RK or does it even perform better? It is a silent topic as RK obviously had comped/paid for the earlier review, and now IVD has comped/paid.

So you end up in a mode where you can not trust the content as the motivations for the change are not clear. Even if he said "Hey, nothing wrong with the RK but IVD sent us a kit to try out.... Here is what's different between the two and where they each have their pros and cons..." this would be great. But they don't do this as they must paint that new comp/paid product in a positive only light. It is not envy to point out the problems above; and if they were just more transparent it would not even be a problem.

Where this forum is different is we get the honest opinion from people who actually really use their stuff and paid for it out of pocket.

For example Roky was who got me to go with RK after seeing his content, and taking to him over it. I was a Synergy fan (and still am for the steering stuff) but converted off their arms. We also have many MetalCloak fans on here with great reasons to go that route.

We also have guys on here who have gone one way and then changed due to problems - and knowing those problems and why is a good thing. Something missing with the paid review content above.

But it's your money and your Jeep so if you want to follow along and base your buying decisions on what TR buys versus some on this forum that is your decision. Enjoy your Jeep :rock:
That’s one of your longest post , you must be outta breath, better sit down..lol. But there’s a lot of truth in there......:)

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
Youtube more and more makes me feel like nothing more than a vapid CONSOOOOMER.

I'll watch a GearQueer vid when I've independently formed an intention to buy a product and need to see different viewpoints on it. Whether it's TR, L-B, Nutnfancy, Hickock45, etc,etc.

Most channels start out as entertainment then morph into 25 minute time-share videos.

I NEED THIS! (buys product, immediately feels guilt, shame, regret).

Between the election shenanigans and the COVID insanity, I'm barely even seeking out human communication anymore.

It's down to a couple internet forums, books, and a couple video games. By the time I reach retirement age, I'm going to be living a bug-out nuclear silo with no communication at all.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Not interested in that particular episode but I do enjoy his travel focused episodes. Would I buy a $50k Patriot trailer? No. Would I load up my 4 dr Jeep with so much stuff that it had a curb weight over 6,000 lbs? No. Would I build a Gladiator to make a bunch of videos for a year and then sell it? No. Do I want a refrigerator in my Jeep? No. His equipment purchase choices are not of interest to me.

I never felt he was trying to present himself as an expert but rather more of an enthusiast. He’s a retired Naval officer who is taking us along his personal journey and his particular idiosyncrasies. Yes, recently he’s gotten more commercial recently but I just ignore all that stuff. If a guy can make a living combining his love of videography and car camping then more power to him.
Completely agree with this. He's done some great travel videos that were very helpful when some buddies and I were planning a trip in the Alabama Hills, Ca area. It's just the commercialized product stuff that becomes tiresome, for me at least. I scoff every time I see a "review" tell me people "need" 300 dollar roam cases...

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Youtube more and more makes me feel like nothing more than a vapid CONSOOOOMER.

I'll watch a GearQueer vid when I've independently formed an intention to buy a product and need to see different viewpoints on it. Whether it's TR, L-B, Nutnfancy, Hickock45, etc,etc.

Most channels start out as entertainment then morph into 25 minute time-share videos.

I NEED THIS! (buys product, immediately feels guilt, shame, regret).

Between the election shenanigans and the COVID insanity, I'm barely even seeking out human communication anymore.

It's down to a couple internet forums, books, and a couple video games. By the time I reach retirement age, I'm going to be living a bug-out nuclear silo with no communication at all.
You win for post of the day no doubt. Awesome!

OP
OP

MidTNJeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I will watch Part 2, take the information for what it’s worth, combine it with the endless amount of great info on this forum and move on with my day. Bought out or not, still an interesting experiment, which I’m sure took a lot of hard work and planning, from a guy who figured out how to get paid for doing a hobby we all love. Can’t bash a guy for that.

Some of y’all have been watching too much Dr. Phil. This is a suspension lift forum, not psychology class.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Some of y’all have been watching too much Dr. Phil. This is a suspension lift forum, not psychology class.
haha. Maybe the original poster should have included a trigger warning;

Danger Ahead: youtoober reference in this post! May cause immediate irritation or temporary lowering of IQ. Stay away from keyboard if possible.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.