Sponsored

Top/Doors Off Corona Question

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I think we're probably fine. The latest seems to say that the virus does NOT linger in the air. So if someone sneezes within 6 feet of you, the virus particles can reach you. However, if someone sneezes in a grocery aisle and then you walk through there 30 minutes later, you're safe. I know some of the early thinking was that the virus would stay suspended but now they're walking that back. They're saying that the spread would be much more widespread if the virus stayed suspended. In the end, I don't think anyone is sure though.

Incidentally, I put my soft top on this morning.
Here is one source on this. However, and as noted before, no one is sure.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/28/8232...dence-on-coronavirus-transmission-through-air
Sponsored

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
The only way to get full peace of mind before vaccination is if you can get tested at will. Once the government eases restrictions and everyone is free from home does not mean infection has stopped. It means we've "leveled off" until we peak again, likely in the fall and winter. Infections are occurring but at a rate that the system can manage hospitalizations. Remember that and use that knowledge to manage your stress and your expectations. Just because state and federal lifts orders does not mean you run no risk of infection. They're just saying there is acceptable risk to public health now because the infrastructure can deal with you getting hospitalized.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I think this is going to be a very long thread. We are talking about giving up our open air driving freedom here. This is the reason we own these vehicles in the first place..
It’s time to reset our thinking. Not driving open air is a very tiny sacrifice....

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Probably a dumb question but been curious about this. If, I'm riding with my top down, or top down and doors off, and the guy in front of me sneezes (he's got his windows open), am I at good risk of catching Corona Virus? In other words "Don't tell me I can't ride around with my top down"...
Yes you can and you can get pregnant from public toilet seats. Best stay home.

18JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Is this seriously a question? Seriously? Just stay home, hide under your blankets and find your safe space and try not to get triggered. Why oh why is this a question. Sell the Jeep, get a more appropriate vehicle like a tank so you can close off yourself to the world. Don’t forget when you roll down the window to get your insane Starbucks over priced garbage you may get it. Give me a brake and stop posting stupid questions

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Probably a dumb question but been curious about this. If, I'm riding with my top down, or top down and doors off, and the guy in front of me sneezes (he's got his windows open), am I at good risk of catching Corona Virus? In other words "Don't tell me I can't ride around with my top down"...
In my opinion, even with the top off, the virus can enter through the vents also. But it is likely that you are safer with the top off, as air is constantly circulating. With the top off, how the air flows also comes into play. But my common sense says that constantly circulating air is less likely to infect you than a closed environment.

With the top off, and in day time, you are also getting Vitamin D. And the virus' potency also diminishes with higher ambient temperature (and most likely the Jeep top is off when it is not too cold outside anyway).

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Is this seriously a question? Seriously? Just stay home, hide under your blankets and find your safe space and try not to get triggered. Why oh why is this a question. Sell the Jeep, get a more appropriate vehicle like a tank so you can close off yourself to the world. Don’t forget when you roll down the window to get your insane Starbucks over priced garbage you may get it. Give me a brake and stop posting stupid questions
Geees... How was this a stupid question? Someone must not have had their meds today.

And how did he know I like to go to Starbucks...?

Last edited:

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Just to keep folks triggered I will order two Starbucks and only drink one, my top is always open and the dog took my safe space. I would totally buy a tank but nowhere to park the bastard and I will not sale my jeep. This reminds me I need to add more money to my Starbucks app.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The virus is real, no question about that. I know several people who have gotten it. All of them recovered with no issues, said symptoms were lighter than the last cold they had. And that is part of the issue believe it or not. If you get the virus, you will most likely feel a little sick for a day or two, or feel nothing, yet you will carry the virus for several days. You wanna go workout, you wanna go to work, so you will be outside in contact with several people who will also get the virus and be alright. The big problem is that there is a small percentage of unlucky people who can get absurdly sick with this virus, an even smaller percentage of these, will die. But anyhow, the people who get really sick require hospitalization, it is THAT BAD.

So let me put this on perspective for you all. I live in L.A. County, where there are roughly what? 10 mil people?. Well say only 10% of the population gets it. That's no less than 1 million people, out of which 5% unlucky ones get extremely sick. That is 50,000 people. 50,000 people who will need to be hospitalized, and maybe say 2,000 of those will die. That is 50,000 hospital beds, several thousand respirators, etc... Then you, part of that 95% majority who didn't feel much, get into a car accident and die from an injury because the hospitals were packed. So yes, thousands are dying or will die, but think about what percentage of the population that is, it is so small. The issue is that they are all dying around the same time, and require the same medical attention, and our medical system simply cant support this.

And no, you won't get sick by driving with top and doors off. The chances are so small they are negligible.

Sponsored

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
Here's a guy ripe for infection. A real man's man.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Here's a guy ripe for infection. A real man's man.
That was my thought as well. He is one of these idiots wee see chumming up with people on the street, or walking around in the grocery store with no mask, no sanitizer, no nothing, as if there no big concern.

364pipeguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon / 1971 CJ-6
Occupation
retired Steamfitter
Hi Eric, If you do get corona virus go to your doctor and get an injection of lime disease go outside and sit by your spa and it will disappear jest like a beer does lol

chiefersutherland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
So let me put this on perspective for you all. I live in L.A. County, where there are roughly what? 10 mil people?. Well say only 10% of the population gets it. That's no less than 1 million people, out of which 5% unlucky ones get extremely sick. That is 50,000 people. 50,000 people who will need to be hospitalized, and maybe say 2,000 of those will die. That is 50,000 hospital beds, several thousand respirators, etc... Then you, part of that 95% majority who didn't feel much, get into a car accident and die from an injury because the hospitals were packed. So yes, thousands are dying or will die, but think about what percentage of the population that is, it is so small. The issue is that they are all dying around the same time, and require the same medical attention, and our medical system simply cant support this.
Math checks out. Assuming that every one of those 50k gets sick and requires hospitalization on the same day; which is realistic in my scientific opinion.

KCC_703

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray MOAB
Personally, I don't think you can catch the virus from riding with the top off or windows open. Turbulent air and the windscreen should "disperse" any particulates in the air. Practice social distancing, don't drive behind other cars... and drive on the right (avoid the driver-side window).

With that said, I just read an article where they studied a sneeze with cameras and sensors that detected particulates in the air. The larger 1mm sized spew readily fell to the ground, but the smaller .1mm stuff lingered in the air for a few seconds longer. So yes, avoid rooms with little to no air circulation.

I went to the ABC store to pick up some Everclear (75% alcohol, just in case), and the store-owner looked deathly sick behind his mask. Grabbed two bottles, held them so he could scan, used Android Pay and left scared s**tless. Needless to say doused myself with sanitizer in the sanctuary of my Jeep.

I have a 4 year old daughter, and elderly parents. Without my income, my wife and family would suffer. So, this is pretty real to me. Wear a mask, wash your hands... stay home and catchup on JLWF. Stay safe!
Sponsored