NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Never use your own cash when somebody else’s cash is cheaper.
You're probably younger...

Some of us might not have lived through the Great Depression, but we were raised by parents that lived through it and that sort of fiscal conservatism wore off on us.
Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Never use your own cash when somebody else’s cash is cheaper.
Sooo much this. If I buy a car outright, I'm only losing money on it. If I buy at 4% interest, and invest at 9% (like an index fund), I'm MAKING money.

Keeping the car after paying it off makes sense, of course. But who wants to drive a 2005 Saturn Vue? :surprised:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s for the 2 door, and the averages are both 20mpgs
Well, considering the fact that I'm buying a 2-door, that is why I looked at the fuel consumption of *it*. :)

I would not be surprised if those mpg estimates are with *real* gas, not the ethanol contaminated crap that we have these days in most areas. My pickup *hated* the ethanol contaminated gas. It would get 15 mpg with *real* gas and only 12 mpg with the ethanol contaminated crap.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Keeping the car after paying it off makes sense, of course. But who wants to drive a 2005 Saturn Vue? :surprised:
Assuming it was bought new, who takes 13 years to pay off a Saturn Vue?

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
You're probably younger...

Some of us might not have lived through the Great Depression, but we were raised by parents that lived through it and that sort of fiscal conservatism wore off on us.
I’m from same type of family, but you gotta take it into context. If loans are cheaper than S&P’s averages, save your cash. If interest rates are 20% and S&P is averaging 2%, it’s time to switch strategy.

I’ve also been broke and spent all my cash to not have a loan and left myself with a non liquid paid off asset, no emergency fund, and no financial leverage for anything else, so I quickly learned that Great Depression mindset was outdated and having a paid off old car didn’t feel liberating at all. Now I’ve got disposable income and I could care less if I ever pay off another car again. I do care about depreciation though, hence I’d prefer to stick with Jeeps.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well, considering the fact that I'm buying a 2-door, that is why I looked at the fuel consumption of *it*. :)

I would not be surprised if those mpg estimates are with *real* gas, not the ethanol contaminated crap that we have these days in most areas. My pickup *hated* the ethanol contaminated gas. It would get 15 mpg with *real* gas and only 12 mpg with the ethanol contaminated crap.
@NavyVet1959

Have you found the link to the online/downloadable JL User Manual? Hope you are finding time away from your postings here (hint) to read it if you have. If you don't have it say the word and you'll get pointed to it.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@NavyVet1959

Have you found the link to the online/downloadable JL User Manual? Hope you are finding time away from your postings here (hint) to read it if you have. If you don't have it say the word and you'll get pointed to it.
Yep... I've downloaded it... All *616* pages... And it's all in English... I suspect that's going to take a bit of time for me to get the motivation to read... :(

OP
OP
Yankee1019

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, 2023 JLU Reign Willys
Assuming it was bought new, who takes 13 years to pay off a Saturn Vue?
Seriously!? The Saturn was paid off in 5. I want my truck paid off before buying... Which I said in the OG post. Sheesh dude! It’s called comprehension..... You know, understanding what you’ve read? :headbang::swear:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously!? The Saturn was paid off in 5. I want my truck paid off before buying... Which I said in the OG post. Sheesh dude! It’s called comprehension..... You know, understanding what you’ve read? :headbang::swear:
That's 4 pages back... Completely old history... You don't expect us old farts to have that sort of attention span, do you? :)

Sponsored

Bullheads1

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Healthcare Recruiter
Ugh. I just noticed that it’s @old8tora posting, here. Ignore him, guys. He’s a troll. Look at his content in other threads.
Yeah he’s a troll. Suggesting a Toyota over a JLU. Toyota can’t even beat out the Nissan Pro-4X except in price.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR

The stated averages vs real world mileage are probably bunk, but the point is an apples to apples comparison (i.e. both using ethanol, non ethanol, orange juice, whatever)
Sponsored