Sponsored

Should I wait for 2018 Wrangler?

LordEgg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Actually, FCA is going backward. Almost every vehicle launch they've done since 2014 has been recalled and/or stalled at distribuition lots while they try to find fixes for software and mechanical glitches. The brand new Compass just got halted for the same type of thing.

Among the dozens of 4x4s of all types I've owned, I saw the best MPGs (in stock form) from my 2011 JKU and my 2012 JKU. Both easily would knock down 2-3 MPGs more than my buddies with Tacomas and Frontiers. The Wrangler is surprisingly fuel efficient, especially with the 6-speed and stock tires.
Mine always had four inches of lift and 35s. That'll kill anyone's mileage. So your point is fairly made.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Dammit. My WK CRD is still a lemon, and it's resale value is dropping so fast I might have to make a move. Here's the catch; used JKs still under warranty are within spitting distance of the price of a new 2017. So used is just stupid. HOWEVER, if I buy a 2017, then the JLU is as good as I hope, I assume the position yet again to upgrade. AAAAARGH! Maybe I should go for an older JK with the minivan motor and ride out the 2 years...

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone? Beuller?

attworth

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Golf
Personal choice here. I'd wait. The "classic" or whatever they're going to call it will still be on sale. So if you hate the JL, get a JK at that point.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Agreed. It should only 3-4 more months before they reveal it and hopefully have all the info to make a decision by then. Even with good resale you will lose out so unless you absolutely need to replace your current ride (in which case, borrow, steal or rent) I'd definitely wait.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
So I wait. Drove a few JKUs and came down to the final decision, on a Black JKUR, 6 speed manual with only the hard top, cold weather package and top insulation as options. $3500 off sticker. Then 1) The wife freaked about the payment increase, and 2) the dealership dropped the ball on follow up, so I walked and will not return. Call backs and closing skills are still important people.

The good news is, now the wife knows I'm in when the JLU drops. Not worried about problems with first year model. My '97 was a first year model, and has been the best car I've owned.
Sponsored