Sponsored

Should I pay $500 over invoice for a Punk'n color Rubicon 2 door or wait?

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
And you never know how many chuckleheads have driven the one on the lot.
Mine had 3 miles on it so I am assuming none.. LOL

Its still a person by person call. I could have saved some $$ by ordering or going out of town to buy but I got a good enough deal on my Sport. Sticker was 36755 (with destination fee) and I got it for $34500 so I was good with that. Some might not think that's a good deal but I was happy with it and that's all that matters.

I also like buying locally as it supports the local economy. Again this is a person by person thing. Some might think screw the local economy if I can save a few bucks..
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bullheads1

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Healthcare Recruiter
Some places are doing 5% under without the destination fee (tack on $1445 to their price)..

I dunno, I get that people want to save some cash and that's cool if you don't mind waiting for months. Me? I'd spend more to get it now..
5% under and no destination fee? I’d actually like to see that contract. Would have to see that to believe it. Dealerships pay for destination costs. Why would they eat that in addition to working a deal into the holdback? Makes no sense.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
5% under and no destination fee? I’d actually like to see that contract. Would have to see that to believe it. Dealerships pay for destination costs. Why would they eat that in addition to working a deal into the holdback? Makes no sense.
I didn't say they are eating the fee.. I said they are doing 5% under invoice without the fee. Then after giving you the 5% off invoice they tack the destination fee on..

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I'd never do it when Jeeps are going for 5% below invoice when being ordered. I bought the 1st Ocean Blue JLU Sport S on a particular dealers lot and they still have me 3% below invoice. IMO Patience is the rule of the day for buying a Jeep.

But that's me. If you really want to do it, then do it.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
My 2018 JLR-(FIRECRACKER RED} invoice was #42.066--including DESTINATION COST-

Dealers have a different way of LISTING various costs/tradeins/specials-etc, to increase their profit !

Whatever

JIMBO

Sponsored

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
There it was just sitting on a Jeep dealers lot with everything I want on it and it can be mine tomorrow. They will not move on the price since it's the only Rubicon in the area. I doubt it will last long.
Go into the dealership to buy and then have them build you the same Jeep to order and compare pricing, maybe they will work with you if they want to move it.

Bullheads1

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Healthcare Recruiter
Ok that makes more sense. Must have misread it.

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I might be missing something on this one but it appears the difference between 1% under invoice and 5% under invoice is about 2k. If you finance 2k for 5 years its about $40 a month, $480 a year, or $2400 over the life of the loan...

$2,400 is a lot of mods or a lot of gas for simply being patient...If you are young and you run that $2,400 through an investment calculator you are sitting on a chuck of change over 20-30 years.

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I might be missing something on this one but it appears the difference between 1% under invoice and 5% under invoice is about 2k. If you finance 2k for 5 years its about $40 a month, $480 a year, or $2400 over the life of the loan...

$2,400 is a lot of mods or a lot of gas for simply being patient...
Is there some sort of guarantee the OP can get 5% off invoice locally? If not, then that's an assumption.

The dealers in my area are doing none of that... Now you might be able to get close but.... Traveling out of state to buy? Airfare, hotel, gas for the drive back all adds up and cuts into the perceived savings..

Sure you can order but like I said, I've not found any local dealers offing this. You might be able to come close if you wish to haggle for a day or two but I'd rather be driving than haggling and waiting... :D

OP
OP
Harrington

Harrington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler
A Jeep dealer in my area that usually sells for 5% under invoice is only going 2% under until they get more in. I can't blame them. Supply and demand.

Sponsored

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
A Jeep dealer in my area that usually sells for 5% under invoice is only going 2% under until they get more in. I can't blame them. Supply and demand.
Did you decide on what you were going to do?

Yeah, that's the thing. When people compare these things they tend to leave out some important details. The area -v- supply and demand. An area where Jeeps are a hot item and fast sellers will be less likely to offer heavy deals and discounts. An area where sales are not robust will be more inclined to move them off the lot...

Some dealers cater to out of state buyers to make up for the lack of local demand. The issue I see there is you are out airfare, hotel and gas back so the savings are not really what they look like on paper..

Either way, good luck whatever you decide..

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Here’s my take. It’s the internet. You’ll get every answer under the sun. Truth is, each of us had a different buying experience. Some areas have more options than others, some have longer relationships, others have different trades, money down and on and on. All of this changes the parameters of the deal.

So your question- “should I?” If you want it and it makes you happy, yes. It’s actually a fair deal. Maybe add some parts (I always ask for window tint, floor mats and oil changes). Low cost to dealer, Big savings to you. Other than that, waiting just means that you’ll just delay the same answer or possibly get better or even worse. Meh. Be you and treat yo self!

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
I have a question... how do you find out the invoice price? Do you have to ask the dealer? The MSRP is the sticker price, so that's easy, right?

OP
OP
Harrington

Harrington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler
Decided to pass on it for the time being. The Ruby is a little overkill for us and my wife isn't crazy about the color. I guess we will just relax for a bit and wait until a few more are sitting on the lots or order one. Great feedback everyone and thanks again.

rswanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
What color does she like? Sounds like that's the green light. Look for a Sport and get your butt in a Jeep! I don't know what you're driving now but I'm thrilled to be back in a Wrangler after way too long.

Side note- my Jl is orange (FCA- why the dumb color name?) and it's clearly the best color. Well, maybe green....
Sponsored