Sponsored

To wait or not to wait?

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
The folding windshield is still around because Jeep understands that there are certain DNA elements that need to be present to sustain the authenticity of the whole brand. Jeep buyers need there to be a 2-door soft top wrangler with a manual and steel wheels even if they are buying a Compass.
The folding windshield isn’t an option. If it was, it would probably be discontinued due to lack of demand. It’s good they keep certain elements like these as standard so they don’t become extinct. Jeep eventually caves on everything though. Every generation people cherry pick which features make it a “real Jeep”, They started by making doors optional, now we’re upto blind side warning, touchscreens, heated steering wheels, acoustic windshield’s etc. Based on that alone, there’s no reason to believe the manual will survive.
If they’re really hanging out on the lots while the autos sell like hot cakes, no dealer will order them which will regard them to just custom orders which will shrink sales even further.
The upcoming drivetrain lineups look like a diesel is coming, with a 2.0L eTorque and auto, 3.6 eTorque and maybe a full hybrid by the sounds of it. Something’s gotta give.
Sponsored

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
For as long as the Wrangler is sold in Europe, there will be a manual transmission. That's not to say it will be available in America, but no one drives automatic there.

I would not worry too much about engineering.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
For as long as the Wrangler is sold in Europe, there will be a manual transmission. That's not to say it will be available in America, but no one drives automatic there.

I would not worry too much about engineering.
They only sell between 3-6K Wranglers in Europe.
Back in the 90’s, I remember even taxis and rental cars were manuals. I went back 6 years ago and all that stuff was automatic.
I suspect the popularity in manuals in Europe was due to fuel efficiency, but autos now seem to get just as good if not better mpgs so I’m not sure if that still holds true.

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
They only sell between 3-6K Wranglers in Europe.
Back in the 90’s, I remember even taxis and rental cars were manuals. I went back 6 years ago and all that stuff was automatic.
I suspect the popularity in manuals in Europe was due to fuel efficiency, but autos now seem to get just as good if not better mpgs so I’m not sure if that still holds true.
Make sense, I was hopping manual was still going strong there :(

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I actually went for a 2018 for the opposite reason. I DON'T want the eTorque system. It's got expensive source of future problems written all over it. FCA has a hard enough time launching new vehicles without a train wreck ensuing as it is. Add never seen before sophisticated equipment and it's a problem just looking for a place to happen. Heck, there's already two or three "urgent" safety recalls on JLs now. I want the most simple new platform I can get, and the 2018 JL is it. From here on out, it only gets more complicated and more expensive.

Pricing is also increasing rapidly. Heck, the base price went up DURING the current model year. So the JL has already increased twice over the JK, and it's been on the market 6 months. You can definitely expect to pay more for a 2019.

If Mojito! is definitely without question the color you want, you should go order today. Wrangler colors usually always last for one model year only, then they flip it up for the next year. Red, white, black, and silver are exceptions.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
According to the EPA estimates on the window stickers, the manuals on the JLs get better fuel economy -- 2 mpg better, IIRC. And I have always found that with my style of driving, I tend to get better gas mileage with a manual transmission than with an automatic, even if the manufacturer's EPA sticker says that they get the same.

If the JL had only been available in an automatic, I would not have bought it. I absolutely HATE automatics. Automatics were created so that *women* could drive and the manufacturers could sell more cars to them.

If the I could not have gotten a manual transmission in a JL, I would have probably ended up buying a used Cayenne. There were a few of them manufactured over the years with a manual transmission.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Make sense, I was hopping manual was still going strong there :(
When I was over there a couple of years ago and in the UK (last year, IIRC), manuals were commonly available at the car rental agencies that I used. Not only manual transmission, but *diesels* with manual transmissions.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you are thinking of buying a new vehicle before you have even paid off the previous vehicle, you are probably a car dealership's wet dream. They love people who churn cars like that. In case you didn't realize it, it is most definitely possible to pay off a vehicle and go *years* without a car payment. Take the money you would have been paying in car payments and put it in stocks or whatever for your retirement. It's very comforting when you do not have any car or house notes.

OP
OP
Yankee1019

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, 2023 JLU Reign Willys
When I was over there a couple of years ago and in the UK (last year, IIRC), manuals were commonly available at the car rental agencies that I used. Not only manual transmission, but *diesels* with manual transmissions.
Yeah there’s no experience like driving a Ford C-Max diesel with a 5-speed manual on the autobahn...

OP
OP
Yankee1019

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, 2023 JLU Reign Willys
If you are thinking of buying a new vehicle before you have even paid off the previous vehicle, you are probably a car dealership's wet dream. They love people who churn cars like that. In case you didn't realize it, it is most definitely possible to pay off a vehicle and go *years* without a car payment. Take the money you would have been paying in car payments and put it in stocks or whatever for your retirement. It's very comforting when you do not have any car or house notes.
Although I respect your opinion and generally agree, my wife’s daily driver is a 2005 Saturn Vue that I’ve kept limping along. It needs to be replaced.

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
According to the EPA estimates on the window stickers, the manuals on the JLs get better fuel economy -- 2 mpg better, IIRC. And I have always found that with my style of driving, I tend to get better gas mileage with a manual transmission than with an automatic, even if the manufacturer's EPA sticker says that they get the same.

If the JL had only been available in an automatic, I would not have bought it. I absolutely HATE automatics. Automatics were created so that *women* could drive and the manufacturers could sell more cars to them.

If the I could not have gotten a manual transmission in a JL, I would have probably ended up buying a used Cayenne. There were a few of them manufactured over the years with a manual transmission.
The autos are better by 1mpg.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39685&id=39686

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Not for me it’s not. Having a lot of cash, no debt and an outdated car makes me a very unhappy person. I’d rather have a mountain of debt and nice new stuff all the time. Unless of course somebody could guarantee me that I can live forever, then maybe I’ll pace myself lol.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not for me it’s not. Having a lot of cash, no debt and an outdated car makes me a very unhappy person. I’d rather have a mountain of debt and nice new stuff all the time. Unless of course somebody could guarantee me that I can live forever, then maybe I’ll pace myself lol.
If you had a lot of cash, then you wouldn't have had to take a loan for the vehicle in the first place. :)

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
If you had a lot of cash, then you wouldn't have had to take a loan for the vehicle in the first place. :)
Never use your own cash when somebody else’s cash is cheaper.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase