Sponsored

Buy 2018 JL or wait for 2019?

schmee2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Turbo
Looking to buy the JL Sahara or Rubicon and getting close to order date for 2019 which is mid September. Would you wait, is there a big difference in the '19 versus the '18? or should we take one of the nice deals that might offered on the '18 as the dealers clear inventory in wait for the '19? Thx Go Cubs!
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Nothing seems official on the 2019 yet. Some people are ordering 2018s now because they are afraid their color choice won't be available. Some people want to wait for 2019s to see if other colors are available, or new/better options. Again, I don't think anything has been announced by FCA yet. There is a rumor of a new color called Bikini, but no one knows if its a paint scheme or a color, and which color it actually is. Prices may go up, they may not.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2019-model-year-jeep-wrangler-jl-changes.6566/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/too-close-to-2019.12407/page-3#post-316280
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...year-2018-or-wait-for-2019.12968/#post-315939

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
A 2018 is a one year old model now. It's only a few more months for a one year newer model. The resale on the 2019 will be thousands more then the 2018 when it's time to sell or trade. I'd wait for the 2019 at this point if you don't need something to drive today. It gives FCA more time to work out and correct any early production issues. Definitely drive both the 3.6 and 2.0T to see which you prefer. Both are nice but have different driving characteristics and feel. The noise, vibration, harshness is different also.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
A 2018 is a one year old model now. It's only a few more months for a one year newer model. The resale on the 2019 will be thousands more then the 2018 when it's time to sell or trade. I'd wait for the 2019 at this point if you don't need something to drive today. It gives FCA more time to work out and correct any early production issues. Definitely drive both the 3.6 and 2.0T to see which you prefer. Both are nice but have different driving characteristics and feel. The noise, vibration, harshness is different also.
Thats how I feel. The 2018 being a year old affects trade value. I did a Kelly Blue book comparison of 2007 and 2008 trades with same specs. Was $2200 difference.

Last edited:

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I would disagree that a 2019 will be worth "thousands" more than a 2018 with comparable options and mileage. It doesn't work that way and certainly not to that extent. You could argue that you would have fewer miles on a 2019, but if they were both equal mileage, they are going to be worth roughly the same. Even still....you will most likely be paying more for the 2019 than the 2018...so what it's worth really doesn't matter.

To the OP, as to waiting or getting now...I have seen many of these posts coming up over the last month and my answer is still the same. I ordered my Rubi at the end of June and I don't regret it for a minute. I love it. I'm not missing out on enjoying the Jeep NOW. The features that are rumored to be on the 2019 have no appeal to me. I'm not a fan of ACC and the issues of BSG are unknown at this time. It may be great, but just who knows how it will work in a Jeep. As for any issues in the 2018 model...so far, I haven't experienced those. But regardless, sure you can wait until next year to get a MY19...or you can wait until 2020, when all the changes from MY19 get worked out....or you can wait until 2021 until those changes are worked out....or you can wait until 2022 until the mid cycle refresh is introduced....or you can wait until 2023 until the bugs are worked out from the mid cycle refresh....or....

The point is....if you are financially ready to buy, and find the one that meets all the options you want...I say get it! If it doesn't meet your option needs, then I would order a 2019.

Just my opinion.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would disagree that a 2019 will be worth "thousands" more than a 2018 with comparable options and mileage. It doesn't work that way and certainly not to that extent. You could argue that you would have fewer miles on a 2019, but if they were both equal mileage, they are going to be worth roughly the same. Even still....you will most likely be paying more for the 2019 than the 2018...so what it's worth really doesn't matter.

To the OP, as to waiting or getting now...I have seen many of these posts coming up over the last month and my answer is still the same. I ordered my Rubi at the end of June and I don't regret it for a minute. I love it. I'm not missing out on enjoying the Jeep NOW. The features that are rumored to be on the 2019 have no appeal to me. I'm not a fan of ACC and the issues of BSG are unknown at this time. It may be great, but just who knows how it will work in a Jeep. As for any issues in the 2018 model...so far, I haven't experienced those. But regardless, sure you can wait until next year to get a MY19...or you can wait until 2020, when all the changes from MY19 get worked out....or you can wait until 2021 until those changes are worked out....or you can wait until 2022 until the mid cycle refresh is introduced....or you can wait until 2023 until the bugs are worked out from the mid cycle refresh....or....

The point is....if you are financially ready to buy, and find the one that meets all the options you want...I say get it! If it doesn't meet your option needs, then I would order a 2019.

Just my opinion.
I am going to agree to disagree with you on the residual or resale values. The ALG residual values are for leasing but is a valid indicator of predicted resale values. A 2019 model of any vehicle is always going to be worth more then a 2018 with the same miles and options at resale a year or two later.

I agree with you about enjoying it now, there is definitely value there. I agree with you about waiting and waiting for the next newest and greatest and never pulling the trigger. It is not my advice to wait and wait. You can't even order a 2018 anymore. If the OP posted 3 months earlier I'd say shop and buy and enjoy. Personally I feel it's too close to the 2019 model year now. There are options that are worth considering that are limited with the 2018s. I highly recommend to the OP a back to back test drive of the 2.0T and 3.6. I am not saying one is better than the other but the difference is significant. Both have trade offs.

Your JLR looks kick ass. Enjoy! Cheers!

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am going to agree to disagree with you on the residual or resale values. The ALG residual values are for leasing but is a valid indicator of predicted resale values. A 2019 model of any vehicle is always going to be worth more then a 2018 with the same miles and options at resale a year or two later.

I agree with you about enjoying it now, there is definitely value there. I agree with you about waiting and waiting for the next newest and greatest and never pulling the trigger. It is not my advice to wait and wait. You can't even order a 2018 anymore. If the OP posted 3 months earlier I'd say shop and buy and enjoy. Personally I feel it's too close to the 2019 model year now. There are options that are worth considering that are limited with the 2018s. I highly recommend to the OP a back to back test drive of the 2.0T and 3.6. I am not saying one is better than the other but the difference is significant. Both have trade offs.

First, thanks for the compliment on the Rubi! It really is fantastic. It's just going to become a money pit real fast. :cwl: :rock:

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree. Just running quick numbers through KBB....a 2015 2 Door Rubi with 50,000 miles and standard options has a trade in value range of $22,427 - $24,802 (Avg. $23,615). A 2016 2 Door Rubi with 50,000 miles and standard options has a trade in value of $22,313 - $24,670 (Avg. $23,492). Full disclosure...I did not compare what the standard options were between the two, and I did not check NADA. This was just a quick look. I have no idea why the newer year would be less (maybe an option that was standard in 2015 was not in 2016), but the point was to see that mileage plays ALOT more of a factor than the year, and a one year difference in model year with the same features and miles are going to be very close. Also, as I said, you are most likely going to pay more for the newer year (both because it cost more and you will most likely get a better deal on the same year inventory...the JL may not be the norm with that though since they are selling so well), so whatever you gain on the "resale value" is going to be negated by the cost upfront for the vehicle.

All that said....I'm the type of person that if I find a car that is reliable and I enjoy....resale value really doesn't matter because I'll probably hang on to it beyond it's "valuable life" anyway. (as noted in my profile of vehicles. LOL)

Lensync58

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Unlimited Sport

Just my 2 cents. ..but go look at lifted used JK's... It doesn't really matter what year or miles they are expensive... Like a Tacoma you almost have to buy new because they just don't depreciate much! If you are buying your jeep because you think this or that... Uhhg ! I used to always do that lol! Now my 18 JLU IS PERFECT! GREAT STEERING AND ALL LIFTED ON 35'S! Worth the world to me! And when I sell it? I'll get my value trust me!

carguy1959

First Name
Robert Spinello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Chevrolet HHR
Occupation
auto sales
Looking to buy the JL Sahara or Rubicon and getting close to order date for 2019 which is mid September. Would you wait, is there a big difference in the '19 versus the '18? or should we take one of the nice deals that might offered on the '18 as the dealers clear inventory in wait for the '19? Thx Go Cubs!
Wait. The colors should increase. There are first year issues anyway.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wait. The colors should increase. There are first year issues anyway.
So there won't be any 2nd year issues? Especially with FCA going with BSG on the Wrangler? :headbang:

Sponsored

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Wait for 2020 there will be a different green and 2 more shades of silver. smh people don't get that they don't really change the wrangler for an entire decade?

Reactions: VNT

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
In the real world, I'm betting that 48 months from now, the 2018 models will be more sought after than the 2019 models. Why? Because the 2018 powertrain will prove to be more reliable and simple and dependable.

The 2019 model will have the steering issues and frame welds and stuff like that cured, more than likely. But, they'll have a whole new set of teething pains with that all new eTorque technology, and two new-to-Wrangler engine options. So, as far as avoiding bugs is concerned, it'll be a wash.

We're quickly getting to the point where vehicle technology is causing overall reliability to decline, rather than increase. That's why the used market is getting so strong these days. If you look at used 10-15 year old diesel trucks, they sell for more than 5 year old models. Same is often true of enthusiast cars. I think Jeeps, being enthusiast vehicles, will follow the same course. Simple is good. People will start to seek the simple models that have fewer issues.

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
In the real world, I'm betting that 48 months from now, the 2018 models will be more sought after than the 2019 models. Why? Because the 2018 powertrain will prove to be more reliable and simple and dependable.

The 2019 model will have the steering issues and frame welds and stuff like that cured, more than likely. But, they'll have a whole new set of teething pains with that all new eTorque technology, and two new-to-Wrangler engine options. So, as far as avoiding bugs is concerned, it'll be a wash.

We're quickly getting to the point where vehicle technology is causing overall reliability to decline, rather than increase. That's why the used market is getting so strong these days. If you look at used 10-15 year old diesel trucks, they sell for more than 5 year old models. Same is often true of enthusiast cars. I think Jeeps, being enthusiast vehicles, will follow the same course. Simple is good. People will start to seek the simple models that have fewer issues.
I agree, I was going to initially wait to order a 2019, but the e Torque or belt-start-generator being announced for all the 2019 models cause me to order a 2018.

StuntmanMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Volvo XC70, 2000 Firebird Formula

Interesting viewpoint. I think you have a good point. All this tech in cars is getting out of hand. For a while now I've been not wanting a car with any type of touch screen, for instance, as I wonder how well that is going to function when the car is ten, fifteen years old.

I haven't bought a JL yet, I still haven't ruled out a new JK. The points you make in your post kind of pushes me towards a JK, actually.
Sponsored