1. FS90

FS90 New Member

Vehicle(s):
    Jeep
    Liked:
    #1 Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2017
    Say hello to the 2018 Jeep Wrangler.

2018-jl-wranglerunlimited-rubicon1.jpg 2018-jl-wranglerunlimited-rubicon2.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------

3/29/17 ADMIN EDIT:

Thank you for your contribution!

We have verified with sources that these indeed show the JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

This confirms the JLU will feature:
    • Solid frame, fixed roll cage in roughly the same location as current sport bar
    • Fully removable roof
    • Fully removable doors
    • Overall vehicle and windows/windshield appear taller above the belt line (more headroom and better visibility?)
    • Turns signal on side mirrors which are attached higher on the doors (within new window moldings) than current JKU.
    • Character line/belt line that runs the length of the car from A pillar to the rear
    • New larger front bumper design which extends out further
    • Fog lights location moved from middle of bumper to the edges
    • Front fenders end higher and contain LED light strips
    • Larger, more blunt/upright grille with kinked slats that bend slightly in the middle
    • Headlights curve into the outer grille slats (matches the previously leaked grille exactly)
    • Hood is slightly longer and appears to be less angular and with less forward rake than the current model
    • Rubicon hood looks similar to the current one, with black vents flanking a center hump
    • Hood latches position have moved forward slightly toward the edge of the hood
    • Vent and boomerang styling detail on front quarter panels, immediately aft of the front fenders
    • Fold down windshield with two side hinges instead of current center hinge (previously reported)
    • Taller, more raked windshield appears to sit lower (closer to the hood) with flatter glass (compared to current convex windshield)
    • New pull door handles, located lower than current handles (also see spy photos which show camouflaged door handles with no push-button provision)
    • Door handles area hints at possible keyless entry system
    • Exposed, redesigned (stubbier) door hinges
    • Taller windows with more rounded corners
    • Full length drip rails/rain gutter that spans the entire length of the vehicle (as opposed to just over the doors on the JK/JKU)
    • Rubicon model still features rock rails (also see spy photos)
    • Tai lights feature wrap-around design
    • Slight larger trunk space (bars connect to body at a more forward position than current)

Here is a visual comparison against the JKU Rubicon (image flipped for purposes of the comparison image).

comparison.jpg

Otis, Work, Lee H Greidanus and 6 others like this.
  2. Dackel

Dackel Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2014 JKU, Ram 1500
    Liked:
    Wow is that it?? Best news ever to see it can still go fully topless!

Lee H Greidanus likes this.
  3. CorpCow

CorpCow Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ram 1500 Quad Cab
    Liked:
    Great first post hah! Glad we can lay our pitchforks down now that we see the fully removable top and doors.

The vent thing behind the front fenders looks very interesting. Wonder what that actually does? More venting for the engine bay?

4. chcg12

chcg12 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2014 JKU
    Liked:
    The vent is to improve airflow from the front wheel area of the vehicle while driving. Also

5. chcg12

chcg12 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2014 JKU
    Liked:
    Where do these pics originate from if you are able to say? Wish it would clearly show the top options too !!

6. JAY

JAY Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicle(s):
    Wrangler
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Thank you for your contribution!

We've added a summary of changes we see and a comparison image to the first post.

7. Bullring

Bullring Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Cherokee
    Liked:
    Holy $@#% what an entrance! Sooo... that is the solid frame of the JLU we have heard so much about. If so that looks to be no different than the sport bar and I'm really happy with what I see.

Adjo likes this.
  8. Alvin R

Alvin R Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Cherokee
    Liked:
    Anyone who decided against the JLU and got a 17' JK is probably biting their nails right now

9. WXman

WXman Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Wrangler
    Liked:
    Where's the spare tire??

I love the new fender flares...looks much better and allows larger tires.

Grille looks like a TJ grille, which is a nice change.

Overall, I love it. When can I order? :)

10. ghcartwright

ghcartwright New Member

Vehicle(s):
    1993 Wrangler, 2013 Sonic
    Liked:
    Thanks for the pics, really liking the new/old look.
    The character line/belt along the side reminds me of the old Land Rover Defender side a bit. I wonder if the line is not just cosmetic but to add further stiffness to the aluminum door (like the Defender).

11. four low

four low Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 JK
    Liked:
    I like the Roll Cage being incorporated into the windshield structure ; the tendency for the windshield to come back into passenger/ driver compartment in roll-overs has been a weak point in ALL unmodified Jeeps ; the JK is "better", but the JL has really addressed this Safety issue . Plus, the easy - fold windshield glass brings one of the (many) Joys of Jeeping back.
    Daimler almost killed the Jeep brand with cheap , penny-pinching quality issues.
    I think Sergio Marchionne and Mike Manley truly "Get" the mantra, " Jeep- the Only One "
    Thank you !

12. four low

four low Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 JK
    Liked:
    That Hot Little Turbo !!
    That Diesel with 8 spd Auto !

13. WebDevDan

WebDevDan Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Jeep Wrangler
    Liked:
    I think it'll still get a tire carrier bolted on. The rear bumper looks to have a cutout for it.
    Assuming that the second image isn't reversed, am I the only one who noticed the tailgate opening on the opposite side?
    Also - do those mirrors look high enough to clear the cowl when the door retainer straps come off? :p

14. Chanchan

Chanchan Member

Vehicle(s):
    LR Discovery
    Liked:
    Great grab! Love this site, always first on the money.

Some subtle but very nice changes. I Love the fender vent (will it be on just the Rubi or a specific engine?) and different character/design lines across the vehicle, surrounding the windows etc. It definitely has some TJ in it which is a good thing in my book.

So far very happy and glad I didn't pull the trigger on the 17 JK. Cant wait to see the roof options.

15. WebDevDan

WebDevDan Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 Jeep Wrangler
    Liked:
    I am torn on the style line, but it appears to be the half-door breakpoint and matches the breakpoint of the top - and the top of the half doors. If someone did full front/rear half doors the lower handles on the full doors would hopefully line up.

Also - I wonder if they made the damn "sport bar" wide enough to accommodate a freakin' sheet of plywood now?