To wait or not to wait?

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, 2023 JLU Reign Willys
This is my first post as a new member as was hoping y'all would share some of your thoughts. Years ago wife and I had a '98 Wrangler that we traded in for a new SUV and are looking to get back into a nice and shiney JL. I'm torn between ordering before the order banks close on the 2018's or when the banks on the 2019's open.

These are the pro's of waiting for the 2019's (as I see them)
1. I only have a few more payments on my Truck before it's paid off. Having 2 vehicle payments for any length of time is simply not Ok for me and I would not be my preference to roll the remaining payments into the new payment or diminish our down payment. (IMO this is the most important reason to wait)
2. The eTorque system on the V6 is more appealing to me than the current version with the traditional stop/start system.
3. Possible factory 1/2 doors. My wife would prefer steel 1/2 doors to the full doors but this isn't a deal-breaker for her.

Here is my list of con's for waiting (Actually there is only one but it IS the most important criteria)
1. Wife is VERY choosy when it comes to color selection. She is pretty much sold on Mojito! and as I understand it is a limited time color so there is no guarantee that it will be available on the early 2019's

When can we expect to see the first details of the 2019 JL? The most current information I can find for the order cut-off dates are here. How firm are these dates generally? Ordering at the cut-off could work into my timeline depending on how long production and delivery takes but I've been lurking on this site since before the JL's were revealed so I know it could take as few as 6 weeks or........ Well y'all know..... :) Thanks for any insight you offer. As info if we order a 2018, this is what it would be.

EDIT: As info this will be the wife's daily driver.

JLUR - 24R with AEK, AD6, STB, GXD, XBM, AJ1, AST, ADH, ALX9, and PGE.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Simply not Ok for me.

Wife is VERY choosy.
LOL. Classic battle of the sexes.

I have no concrete info to share, but my gut says no way they're discontinuing any colors for 2019. They can't even get the 2.0 Turbo off the line, yet. Doubt they're going to be doing much of anything at the start of 2019. Just my $0.02

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I agree with @OldGuyNewJeep

I think the real cons of waiting are that you won’t get your Jeep until November or December and it will cost more.

SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Carpe diem!

Seriously, given FCA’s base price escalations over the first few months of the JL’s release, I would think the ‘19 increase could be significant.

Sponsored

tluke

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, Mercedes ML550, Corvette, Polaris Slingshot & Honda CRF250L
I was also stuck with indecision about 2018 vs 2019. I eventually decided and ordered mine May 24th. I also only wanted Mojito. I did feel somewhat confident that it would be available in 2019 for early orders but not certain. What I based my opinion on was that when I bought my 2013 I wanted Gecko, which is very similar to Mojito. That color was available for the last half of 2012 and the first half of 2013. I can only assume that since Mojito was introduced late in the 2018 model cycle that the same will hold true this time around. My guess is that it will still be available for ordering in 2019, at least for early orders. That's not what pushed me to order now though. It was just the opposite of your thoughts on the BSG, I did not want that and decided to order now to avoid it. To each their own. Good luck working out the details.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Two additional cons are : (a) the JL pricing has a huge additional price gouge , and if you're working folks who don't like payments , you will be spending a lot more for iffy electronics ; (b) wifey might want to wait for the upcoming Toyota replacement for the now gone FJ , maybe in 2019 , which will be a lot cheaper and more reliable . I've been a Jeep loyalist for a long time , but I know price gouging when I see it . Save your hard-earned money for the upcoming Toyota .
Respectfully, I disagree. “That apple you’re about to eat is overpriced. Eat this orange, instead.”

I had a Raptor, then a Yukon (still have it), and now a Wrangler. It’s significantly less expensive than both of those (duh, it’s half the size), and significantly more fun than either - even the Raptor.

OP, if you want a Wrangler and your wife wants a Wrangler, by a Wrangler.

OP
OP
Yankee1019

Yankee1019

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500 Crew Cab, 2023 JLU Reign Willys
I think the real cons of waiting are that you won’t get your Jeep until November or December and it will cost more.
My preference would be to take delivery in December so waiting is a non-issue as for the increase in cost... Who knows what FCA is going to do. I would think that the price increase from MY18 to MY19 will be small after the significant increase between JK and JL. My single biggest concern with waiting is color selection.

And the interest rate will likely be higher.
Over the span of 6 months any change in interest rates will be slight.

(a) the JL pricing has a huge additional price gouge , and if you're working folks who don't like payments , you will be spending a lot more for iffy electronics ; (b) wifey might want to wait for the upcoming Toyota replacement for the now gone FJ
Bro.... Seriously.... Do you even wife? a) Although it will likely be a mall crawler (I know, what a shame) the Wrangler is one of the most capable off-road vehicle out there and that costs money but Wranglers keep their value so I don't mind paying the premium. b) We've had a Wrangler in the past and wifey loves them. c) Electronics are iffy on EVERY vehicle (I work in warranty for an OEM). d) Wife can drive whatever vehicle she chooses (so long as it fits in the budget). If she wants a Jeep, she gets a Jeep. Happy wife, happy life! AMIRITE??? :)

Sponsored

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
Any thoughts on how the eTorque will apply to the manual transmission? Is it an auto transmission feature only? Maybe manuals get the current stop start?

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to point out that if you order a Mojito now you will not get it before your last payment is made! Orders are taking 2-3 months minimum currently!

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Any thoughts on how the eTorque will apply to the manual transmission? Is it an auto transmission feature only? Maybe manuals get the current stop start?

They'll probably just get rid of the manual transmission entirely. It's a poor seller and no longer gets better gas mileage than the autos so it's days are limited if it requires a different powertrain.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Two additional cons are : (a) the JL pricing has a huge additional price gouge , and if you're working folks who don't like payments , you will be spending a lot more for iffy electronics ; (b) wifey might want to wait for the upcoming Toyota replacement for the now gone FJ , maybe in 2019 , which will be a lot cheaper and more reliable . I've been a Jeep loyalist for a long time , but I know price gouging when I see it . Save your hard-earned money for the upcoming Toyota .
Sorry man but this is the biggest pile of crap post I have read yet. The JLUR was the same price as the outgoing JKUR recon edition that was sitting next to my JLUR. Same damn price. And as much as I loved my JKR and as awesome as they still are, this JL is light years ahead in every aspect of the Jeep game, so please spare me your crap because you choose to stay in a JK. There is no price gouging unless you’re just an idiot that doesn’t know how to negotiate.

Toyota replacement. That’s funny. That’s not even a comparison. Not even close. Hell the new Jeep Cherokee is probably more off road worthy than any new Toyota.

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
I am personally waiting until next year. I want to see the truck just to be sure and want to see the diesel cost (most likely won’t get it but ya never know). Plus, there may be some new options for next year.

We get back to the states any time between March and July next year (find out in December where and when) and I plan on getting my order in so that when we arrive it is there waiting on me.

Made my wife happy about a month ago when she bought a new Ruby Red Raptor, so now I get to be happy again and get back in a Jeep!
Sponsored