Buy 2018 JL or wait for 2019?

OP
OP

schmee2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Turbo
Looking to buy the JL Sahara or Rubicon and getting close to order date for 2019 which is mid September. Would you wait, is there a big difference in the '19 versus the '18? or should we take one of the nice deals that might offered on the '18 as the dealers clear inventory in wait for the '19? Thx Go Cubs!

Thanks for the feedback...
Sponsored

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will own a jl
No offense but if I was you, I would definitely buy the 2018 and not wait for the 19 year jl. The next year jeep is obviously going to be more money and they’re not going to take off for good chunk of change off the price. And the dealerships are going to want to sell the 18s quick because they want to get rid of them so I’m buying an 18. I did that with my truck. I bought my truck at the end of the year before the new year was approaching and I got like $5000 off. And I’m going to do that with my 18 jl

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I ordered an 18 turbo on March 7.

When I still had no Jeep on July 1, I decided I was waiting until 2019.

When I sat in my 2018 Turbo last Friday, I couldn't resist, and pulled the trigger.

jptamu1958

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, Lexus RX350, RAV4, 96 GMC SIERRA
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
No offense but if I was you, I would definitely buy the 2018 and not wait for the 19 year jl. The next year jeep is obviously going to be more money and they’re not going to take off for good chunk of change off the price. And the dealerships are going to want to sell the 18s quick because they want to get rid of them so I’m buying an 18. I did that with my truck. I bought my truck at the end of the year before the new year was approaching and I got like $5000 off. And I’m going to do that with my 18 jl
I agree. I wouldn't wait for a '19. Jeep has increased the price, what, twice now? And it's unlikely there will be any significant mechanical changes between the '18 and '19, aside from the BSG. The '19s will probably have implemented fixes from recalls and TSBs, which if your '18 ends up having, just get them knocked out at the dealership before you officially drive it off the lot.

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised with how reliable and seemingly flawless my JL has been (and I bought one of the very early ones). Even my late-generation JK wasn't as problem-free as my JL has been. I know that's not the case for everyone, but I'm incredibly critical of FCA and their lackluster quality and totally expected to have this thing back at the dealership at least a couple times by now.

Sponsored

RubiconSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hardrock 2016 Sport 2018 JLU Rubicon
I am going to agree to disagree with you on the residual or resale values. The ALG residual values are for leasing but is a valid indicator of predicted resale values. A 2019 model of any vehicle is always going to be worth more then a 2018 with the same miles and options at resale a year or two later.

I agree with you about enjoying it now, there is definitely value there. I agree with you about waiting and waiting for the next newest and greatest and never pulling the trigger. It is not my advice to wait and wait. You can't even order a 2018 anymore. If the OP posted 3 months earlier I'd say shop and buy and enjoy. Personally I feel it's too close to the 2019 model year now. There are options that are worth considering that are limited with the 2018s. I highly recommend to the OP a back to back test drive of the 2.0T and 3.6. I am not saying one is better than the other but the difference is significant. Both have trade offs.

Your JLR looks kick ass. Enjoy! Cheers!
FYI- Ordered my 2018 Rubicon last week 8/9. It is in D1 today 8/14..... expected 8/28

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
When my wife and I had the discussion that it was "time" for my car to be set out to pasture, she immediately started looking. She looked across the board at new and used, and we both came to the decision that new was going to be better for a few reasons.

1.) Used Jeeps were only slightly less expensive than a new Jeep due to their ridiculously low depreciation rate. Its what 8% off the lot?
2.) Creature-features: Plain and simple. This will be a daily driver, and a beach-road-trip vehicle. Not only that, my car is a 2006, so for example my standard audio was CD/mp3 disc reader, AUX hook-ups, and a "premium" stereo. It is already a win with the bluetooth option even in the base sport. The interior just "seems" more comfortable than some of the JKs i previewed for a moment.
3.) Warranty: Considerably less on a used vehicle. This also somewhat eliminates the potential for having some one else's "problem" on our hands. We bought used cars in the past and they have been great, but that security blankey* sure does help.

*100% a typo I decided to leave in.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Just wait at least another year or two. It's one less person I need to wave to and one less JL on the trails so ours looks cooler out there. :)

oneslowjeep

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've had my '18 for 1.5 weeks now, Loving it.
Three reasons I boughy an '18 now:

1-Being in Canada, and idk if US models will be affected the same way, Trump's tariff war on various metals like aluminum, magnesium and who knows what else scared me into buying now as I'm afraid it may affect most new vehicle's bottom lines pretty hard.
2-the eboost gimmick. Though it looks nice on paper, lets not forget who we're dealing with here, FCA! It'll probably cause one million issues lol
3-how could I wait any longer? This thing rocks.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
Take this story for what it's worth... I talked with a Mopar/Jeep mechanic this past Saturday morning at Dunkin' Donuts. (There's a Jeep dealership right across the street; he was on his way to work.) I struck up a conversation with him and asked if the new Jeeps were having issues. He said yes, and added, "If I were you, I'd wait a couple years to buy a JL. There are so many issues with the new changes and new electrical stuff... these new Jeeps are junk." Yes, he called the JLs "junk."

Waiting a couple years is not my plan! I was thinking more like six months from now and ordering a 2019. This guy said at least wait until the 2020 model, if not 2021 or beyond.

Again, this is just one guy saying it, but he at least has the experience of working on Jeeps at a dealership. Or, maybe he's just cynical about the products he works with day in, day out -- working for a big corporation can do that to people (create bitterness, I mean).

Not trying to stir to pot here. Just sharing a recent conversation. I'm still planning on getting a 2019 sometime in the next 6-9 months.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
The only problem with speaking with anyone is what their experiences are. I used to work for Toshiba PC support and no one called to say what a great product or experience they have with the product. That being said no one brings in a New JL to say what a great Jeep it is so chances are great that the tech only hears and sees the problem Jeeps.

The logic on this thread is spot on and why I do not like gambling. That appears to be the point of the thread - No matter which year you buy or what you buy it is a gamble and depending on your use you will see different results. Odds are good though that you will not be in the small group of recall or problem Jeeps. Mathematically of course but sucks to be one of those with the problems
Sponsored