Sponsored

The torx screw from hell

Projectjlr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep wrangler rubicon
Just a couple of weeks ago another member contacted me after finding himself in the same predicament. I still had some extras from the guy I got them from on ebay so I mailed him a couple. I feel special now 🤣
by any chance do you have one more laying around
Sponsored

desmomini

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 2.0l
Yes, you have a couple left. Pm me
So glad this thread exists!

I hit a deer, and it broke my turn signal assembly and ripped the side marker off.

I am in need of ONE screw.

By any chance, do you still have one? Thanks...

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
So glad this thread exists!

I hit a deer, and it broke my turn signal assembly and ripped the side marker off.

I am in need of ONE screw.

By any chance, do you still have one? Thanks...
I'm not home right now but I'll check and let you know this evening.

Sponsored

Bill_P

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2023 JLUWSXR
Occupation
Can't tell you..shhh
Tractor supply has a pretty good screw department. They have a size finder and a measuring thingy to tell you how long the screw is too. 🤷‍♂️

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Just curious as another solution. Why don't people drill out the threads and tap in their own? Or use the screw on the other side to go to a parts store and match it? That's usually what I do unless it requires a specific grade. Then I go to Fastenal.

Especially on a part like that. It isn't structural, so you can rig up something better with a hex / phillips head. I hate Torx screws. IMO

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Just curious as another solution. Why don't people drill out the threads and tap in their own? Or use the screw on the other side to go to a parts store and match it? That's usually what I do unless it requires a specific grade. Then I go to Fastenal.

Especially on a part like that. It isn't structural, so you can rig up something better with a hex / phillips head. I hate Torx screws. IMO
That’s what I did when I mounted my ram mount to the passenger grab handle. The chrome hex bolt has some unusual thread pitch. Just drilled it out and put in bolt instead of paying for the Carolina metal masters bolt that fits…
Jeep Wrangler JL The torx screw from hell EA764FDD-2F04-4646-A516-9FDCEA1436C3

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR

I agree and after the dealership was unable to locate said screw I did go to a parts store and local hardware store that has a huge selection but was still not able to find what I was looking for. The only way I was able to source it online was through somebody selling turn signal assemblies.

Sponsored

BrnxBomr2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Recon
Just had this same issue this weekend when I replaced my side markers with the diode dynamics ones. Tried to use the other side one at a couple hardware stores with no luck. I know this tread is older, but if you still have a couple of those laying around, I’d gladly pay you for them

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
Just had this same issue this weekend when I replaced my side markers with the diode dynamics ones. Tried to use the other side one at a couple hardware stores with no luck. I know this tread is older, but if you still have a couple of those laying around, I’d gladly pay you for them
Is it drilled into plastic or is it a metal nut?

If it's plastic, just drill it out and use a slightly wider wood screw.

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Sorry, I don't have anymore, I just sold my last two to a forum member. I originally found replacements on eBay where someone was selling the whole turn signal assembly. Hardware stores don't carry them and Jeep doesn't know what it is. Good luck.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
Sorry, I don't have anymore, I just sold my last two to a forum member. I originally found replacements on eBay where someone was selling the whole turn signal assembly. Hardware stores don't carry them and Jeep doesn't know what it is. Good luck.
Both Home Depot and Tractor Supply have this exact screw in stock but in stainless not black coated. $2.19 at HD and $2.89 at TS and there’s 3x in the little packages. It’s in the specialty hardware drawers section.

BrnxBomr2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys Recon
Both Home Depot and Tractor Supply have this exact screw in stock but in stainless not black coated. $2.19 at HD and $2.89 at TS and there’s 3x in the little packages. It’s in the specialty hardware drawers section.
Awesome. By any chance do you know what the packaging is or where to find it in any of those stores?
Sponsored