The torx screw from hell

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
At the end of May 2020 I was messing with the amber side marker light on my 2018 JLUR and ended up losing the T30 screw that holds it in place. I went online to buy a replacement but couldn't find it anywhere. Ultimately I went to two different local dealerships three different times and could not find a replacement screw. Every time I went they kept looking at the same blown up schematic of the fender with the turn signals and marker light, which does not show any screws that attach the lights to the fender or together. The second time I went in I took photographs of the passenger side marker light and the screw attaching it and I took a video from Diode Dynamics showing the screw and its removal. Still they were unable to find anything even close.

On June 8th I contacted the parts manager and actually took my Jeep to the dealership and he watched me remove the passenger side marker light and screw. The parts manager agreed, yes, there is a screw there and he started the process with the Parts Identifying Department to escalate my issue to the engineers to identify a part number for the screw. Over the next several weeks we talked and the engineers repeatedly came back and said "nope", there isn't a screw there. The parts manager said that he sent in my pictures, screw measurements and the video and yet the engineers kept coming back saying the screw didn't exist. Their suggestion was to "find something close" and use it. I asked the parts manager what if I wrecked and ripped my fender off and had to replace everything, I would assume I would have to order replacement parts and the screw would be there? The parts manager agreed that their response was not acceptable and advised me to call the Customer Service line, which I did.

Last Friday I called and explained my issue to the rep and after a 30 minute call, he said he couldn't find the part I was looking for using his "resources" and said he would check into more and call back on Monday. On Monday he called and I was not able to answer but returned his call later in the afternoon and never heard back. On Tuesday I called and got a different rep who checked and said my case was closed and said that I just needed the side marker lens and he gave me the part number. I explained to him that I already had the lens I just needed the screw that holds the lens in place. Again, I went through the whole process of describing the lens, where it is, the part number, how it's held in place, etc. and again, the rep said that "using his resources" he couldn't find the screw I was describing. I offered to send pictures, videos and whatever else was needed to help him understand but he said he could not do that. After a lengthy phone call the rep ended up telling me that my best bet was to have the dealership order the entire turn signal and marker lamp assembly and see if the screw came in the package!! What kind of answer is that!!!! How about the engineers get off their butt and go down to the assembly line to look at how the light assembly is attached instead of being arrogant asses and assuming the customer has no idea what they are talking about!!?? OR, allow customers to submit photos to the customer service reps to help them understand the issue?

I ended up finding the screws I needed on eBay from a take-off turn signal assembly and the guy selling them was kind enough to send me 5-6 of them because he was just throwing them in the trash. I called the parts manager back and told him of the lost cause phone call to customer service and how I had found the screws on eBay. He agreed this issue still needed to be addressed and I offered to give him one of the extra screws so he could send it up to be identified and ultimately put in the schematics so no one else has to deal with this cluster #$#@ and terrible customer service. Now I'm really curious if the pampas ass engineers will have the nerve to admit a mistake and correct it or if they are dismissive of this also.

Sorry for the long rant but I have never had to deal with automotive customer service, especially to this degree and all I can say is that it has been a huge letdown. With the exception of the parts manager at the dealership I wouldn't wish this whole process on my worst enemy. I've attached a picture of the back side of an assembled turn signal and marker light with the torx screw from hell circled so you can see what I'm complaining about.
Jeep Wrangler JL The torx screw from hell Capture.PNG
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Is the side marker lens sold as a separate item or do you have to purchase that whole assembly you pictured?

If sold separate, then I agree the screw should be listed separately or at least shown in the exploded view.

If it’s only sold as the complete assembly as you pictured, then I could understand why the screw is not listed as a separate item.

At least you got one. Kudos to you for trying to help out the engineers.

I recall looking at numerous parts schematic exploded views of the JL early on when it was introduced. I found them to be extremely lacking in detail. Didn’t know if this has improved or is typical for FCA.

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Is the side marker light sold as a separate item or do you have to purchase that whole assembly you pictured?

If sold separate, then I agree the screw should listed separately or at least shown in the exploded view.

If it’s only sold as the complete assembly as you pictured, then I could understand why the screw is not listed as a separate item.

At least you got one. Kudos to you for trying to help out the engineers.

I recall looking at numerous part schematics exploded views of the JL early on when it was introduced. I found them to be extremely lacking in detail. Didn’t know if this has improved or is typical for FCA.
You can purchase the marker light separately and the screw does not come with it. The dealership does not show the screw comes with the turn signal assembly either. I'll be curious to see if it gets addressed or if they just ignore the issue.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I am not sure what you expect FCA or Engineering to do about you losing a screw from an assembly. You lost it, identified it, and found it.

What are they to address? Are you asking that they add this to the schematics and let you buy this part as a separate part number? Maybe your expectations are too high.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I am not sure what you expect FCA or Engineering to do about you losing a screw from an assembly. You lost it, identified it, and found it.

What are they to address? Are you asking that they add this to the schematics and let you buy this part as a separate part number? Maybe your expectations are too high.
I expect them to have a part number, just like they do for every other torx head screw. Yes, I lost it, but they could do a better job cataloging parts. The other issue is that it doesn't come with either part, so does a little elf put it on after it leaves the plant?

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Is there a good way to add a Cb antenna mount once the left side of the tire carrier is cut off?
I expect them to have a part number, just like they do for every other torx head screw. Yes, I lost it, but they could do a better job cataloging parts. The other issue is that it doesn't come with either part, so does a little elf put it on after it leaves the plant?
That is silly talk - the elf puts it in BEFORE it leaves the plant.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It would be very expensive to identify every single attachment device in every vehicle plus then inventory it. Major ones yes. And it is identified because an engineer (probably a subcontractor) specified it in the design, order department sent specs to supplier, and assembly (probably a subcontractor) knew which part. Finding the right person, probably not even an FCA employee, would be impossible.

Did you check with a body shop to see what they wouod of done if it needed replacing from an accident?

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
It would be very expensive to identify every single attachment device in every vehicle plus then inventory it. Major ones yes. And it is identified because an engineer (probably a subcontractor) specified it in the design, order department sent specs to supplier, and assembly (probably a subcontractor) knew which part. Finding the right person, probably not even an FCA employee, would be impossible.

Did you check with a body shop to see what they wouod of done if it needed replacing from an accident?
Every time I went to the dealership the body shop was closed, I asked that same question and they weren't able to answer it. I've never had to deal with something like this and it's definitely frustrating. I had a 2010 JKUR for 10 years and never had this kind of issue, but I did all of my own repairs and the only time the dealership saw it was when there was a recall. It's not really the way I wanted to start off with my JLUR.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not rubbing it in but I learned long ago to put each small item in a container with lid labeled where it came from. Has saved me several times not losing anything and remembering what went where.

Sponsored

TATER1971

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willy's Wheeler JK in Rhino
At the end of May 2020 I was messing with the amber side marker light on my 2018 JLUR and ended up losing the T30 screw that holds it in place. I went online to buy a replacement but couldn't find it anywhere. Ultimately I went to two different local dealerships three different times and could not find a replacement screw. Every time I went they kept looking at the same blown up schematic of the fender with the turn signals and marker light, which does not show any screws that attach the lights to the fender or together. The second time I went in I took photographs of the passenger side marker light and the screw attaching it and I took a video from Diode Dynamics showing the screw and its removal. Still they were unable to find anything even close.

On June 8th I contacted the parts manager and actually took my Jeep to the dealership and he watched me remove the passenger side marker light and screw. The parts manager agreed, yes, there is a screw there and he started the process with the Parts Identifying Department to escalate my issue to the engineers to identify a part number for the screw. Over the next several weeks we talked and the engineers repeatedly came back and said "nope", there isn't a screw there. The parts manager said that he sent in my pictures, screw measurements and the video and yet the engineers kept coming back saying the screw didn't exist. Their suggestion was to "find something close" and use it. I asked the parts manager what if I wrecked and ripped my fender off and had to replace everything, I would assume I would have to order replacement parts and the screw would be there? The parts manager agreed that their response was not acceptable and advised me to call the Customer Service line, which I did.

Last Friday I called and explained my issue to the rep and after a 30 minute call, he said he couldn't find the part I was looking for using his "resources" and said he would check into more and call back on Monday. On Monday he called and I was not able to answer but returned his call later in the afternoon and never heard back. On Tuesday I called and got a different rep who checked and said my case was closed and said that I just needed the side marker lens and he gave me the part number. I explained to him that I already had the lens I just needed the screw that holds the lens in place. Again, I went through the whole process of describing the lens, where it is, the part number, how it's held in place, etc. and again, the rep said that "using his resources" he couldn't find the screw I was describing. I offered to send pictures, videos and whatever else was needed to help him understand but he said he could not do that. After a lengthy phone call the rep ended up telling me that my best bet was to have the dealership order the entire turn signal and marker lamp assembly and see if the screw came in the package!! What kind of answer is that!!!! How about the engineers get off their butt and go down to the assembly line to look at how the light assembly is attached instead of being arrogant asses and assuming the customer has no idea what they are talking about!!?? OR, allow customers to submit photos to the customer service reps to help them understand the issue?

I ended up finding the screws I needed on eBay from a take-off turn signal assembly and the guy selling them was kind enough to send me 5-6 of them because he was just throwing them in the trash. I called the parts manager back and told him of the lost cause phone call to customer service and how I had found the screws on eBay. He agreed this issue still needed to be addressed and I offered to give him one of the extra screws so he could send it up to be identified and ultimately put in the schematics so no one else has to deal with this cluster #$#@ and terrible customer service. Now I'm really curious if the pampas ass engineers will have the nerve to admit a mistake and correct it or if they are dismissive of this also.

Sorry for the long rant but I have never had to deal with automotive customer service, especially to this degree and all I can say is that it has been a huge letdown. With the exception of the parts manager at the dealership I wouldn't wish this whole process on my worst enemy. I've attached a picture of the back side of an assembled turn signal and marker light with the torx screw from hell circled so you can see what I'm complaining about.
Had a similar issue with the T15 torx screw that holds the headlight bezel in place in my JK. Contacted the dealership to get new screws, and was informed (politely and with empathy, to their credit) that the screws only came with the full headlight assembly. So I feel your pain. I ended up taking one of them to Brafasco here in southern Ontario and the guy there gave me a suitable replacement (though it wasn't torx, but I don't care about that).

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
It sucks that you had that experience. Hopefully I'll never have to go through it. I just wanted to inject that the engineers are probably not located at the plant. I had a good friend who was once an electrical engineer for Chrysler (back then Daimler Chrysler) working specifically with Jeeps. He occasionally went down to the plant but he was based out of Auburn Hills MI. BUT STILL, you would think they would have a parts listing to show that screw!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Not rubbing it in but I learned long ago to put each small item in a container with lid labeled where it came from. Has saved me several times not losing anything and remembering what went where.
@nerubi

I believe / think / guessing, that the OP, took the torx bit out of unloosened torx bolt that holds the side marker. You let go of it/ take torx bit off of the torx bolt, and it the bolt falls into no man's land, so to speak... it's gone...

Being very careful with that torx bolt, is mentioned/stressed in most videos referencing the removal of the JL's side markers. I guess the OP, did not see the video(s).

Yes, I have replaced my side markers and was real careful to following the warnings in the couple of videos I watched prior to the install of my clear side markers.

Glad the OP was able to finally track down the torx bolt he needed!

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant

Good post… just happened to me, my dad dropped the hex screw and we couldn’t find it for an hour, so we went to 5 different places looking for a replacement including a dealership. Had the same experiences but found a random screw that I managed to fit in there and it’s my final solution.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU

Toyota does. I love my Jeep, but this is parts department basics.
Sponsored