AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I am going to be putting 15-in rims on my Wrangler. Haven't even started the r&d portion of this yet
This intrigues me. I've done a lot of reading about fitting 16", which the few who have tried reports will fit with 4.5" backspacing or less.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
32" tires with no roof, doors, spare tire, bumper, grill, carpet, rear seats, fenders, tailgate... I don't think your Jeep weighs as much as it used to.
LMAO, oh, you know me so well! I like that my reputation proceeds me! 😂

I guess I'll shut up now and go away. 😝🤣

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The rotor upgrade is marginal. If the big brake kit used factory calipers and pads there wouldn't be much of an improvement at all. The calipers are the huge upgrade over stock. Just increasing rotor size would still leave you with inadequate clamping force and might actually make it worse as that clamping is now further out on the lever arm. The caliper upgrade can take full advantage of the larger rotor thus the huge improvement in braking seen in the real world with this kit.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Just increasing rotor size would still leave you with inadequate clamping force and might actually make it worse as that clamping is now further out on the lever arm.
I think you might have this backwards.

Floriduramax3.0

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrngler Rubicon Unlimited 3.0td
So my only thing is that, the diesel Wranglers have a much higher weight than the four-door rubicons.

As such the EcoDiesels along with normal gasoline Rubicons come with the HD brakes.

Real world experience, I have zero issues with breaking power on my heavier Wrangler with the OEM HD brakes.

Again I think this more a credit to driving style.

I did look up the teraflex Delta brakes, and they are badass. That caliper alone is worth the purchase in my opinion.

One of the things that I taught myself to do in stop and go traffic on the highways, same thing a lot of semis do. Huge gap between you and the car in front of you. Sure everybody and their mother will jump in front of you because of that huge gap, but you literally do not have to touch your brakes unless you come to a complete stop for more than a few seconds.

I'm not one of those guys who tailgates anybody, and the last time I had to emergency brake was almost 5 years ago. I guess one of the downsides of having less safe driving habits, is spending $2,500 for a really good brake system. That being said, if @TeraFlex ever offered just the caliper by itself, I would totally be apt to purchasing two.
I'm hoping the rest of my Metal Cloak skids arrive this week and after I get everything installed I'm heading for the scales. I'm guessing she will be on the plump side. Everything I install seems to weigh several times more than what I remove! There is no doubt this girl is heavy and the stock brakes as well as the Power Stop brakes were down right scary at times. I drive a bit on the spirited side and there was a few really hard pucker moments with the other brakes. These Delta brakes work and work excellent. There is zero fade when running traffic on the interstate. Trust me, I-4 from Sanford through Orlando will show you how good your brakes are!

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I'm hoping the rest of my Metal Cloak skids arrive this week and after I get everything installed I'm heading for the scales. I'm guessing she will be on the plump side. Everything I install seems to weigh several times more than what I remove! There is no doubt this girl is heavy and the stock brakes as well as the Power Stop brakes were down right scary at times. I drive a bit on the spirited side and there was a few really hard pucker moments with the other brakes. These Delta brakes work and work excellent. There is zero fade when running traffic on the interstate. Trust me, I-4 from Sanford through Orlando will show you how good your brakes are!
I've never actually gone to the scales myself, but there's one right off 75 in Anna, TX. I really should go check out and see what my Jeep weighs. I would laugh if it was under 5,000 lbs! 😂

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I think you might have this backwards.
I was thinking the same, as the leverage would be increased. But inadequate clamping force is still inadequate for lock up regardless of rotor size. If you put our tiny calipers on a 30" rotor they'd still be shit which was my point. The calipers are more of an upgrade than the rotors which was my point.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Funny, but 4.5" backspacing is a 0mm offset 16x8 wheel. No different than all the 0mm offset wheels folks run in 17".

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Funny, but 4.5" backspacing is a 0mm offset 16x8 wheel. No different than all the 0mm offset wheels folks run in 17".
Isn't 4" backspacing 0 offset on an 8" wide wheel? As in the mounting surface is at center line? I believe 4.5" backspacing on an 8" wide wheel would be .5" of positive offset or ~+13mm

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Isn't 4" backspacing 0 offset on an 8" wide wheel? As in the mounting surface is at center line? I believe 4.5" backspacing on an 8" wide wheel would be .5" of positive offset or ~+13mm
Wheel width doesn't include the flange

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Delta Brake Upgrade! wheel_dimensions
Sponsored