Teraflex Delta Brake System - Initial impressions

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2020 JLUR, 2015 JKR
Occupation
Retired
After having had good results from Progrip's Dynatrac Big Brake System on our two JKs, I was looking into similar systems for our JL, especially since we're towing with it, and generally carrying a lot more weight even without the trailer than we ever were on the JKs.
Progrip don't do a kit for the JL, but I found Teraflex's Delta System, and after a bit of research, decided to give it a go. Overall, beyond the marketing hype, it looked like a thoughtfully designed system: not just bigger rotors, which can never be a bad thing, but also having pots either side on the caliper for more evenly distributed pressure, and more of it. That one-person bleeding system was also pretty darn compelling.

The kit arrive in 4 boxes, each of which weighed quite a bit. One box for each of the rotor sets, and one for each of the caliper sets (Front and Rear). These are some big-ass rotors, let me tell you!

The printed instructions in the one box (I forget which one) were OK, but not fantastic. There is a really useful installation video online though, which I'd highly recommend watching once or twice before doing the install, and having on hand during the install. Also, as they mention, make sure you have plenty of brake fluid on hand, and tubing and a container to bleed with.

Front installation, at least on my rig, was probably the most time-consuming. It still has the stock brake lines, which for some reason never got the relocation kit when the lift kit went in, and so it took me the better part of 15-20 minutes with a vice grip and tongue-and-groove pliers to force open the bracket that attaches just under the spring perch to release the brake lines so that I could fit the Teraflex line relocation kit.

It also paid off to do the caliper & brake block assembly for front and rear units first, since they were ready to just bolt in once the fighting with the brackets was over instead of going back and forth. Attaching the front brake lines was pretty straight forward. The rear, less so, as it requires about a 1/4 turn twist, and there's not much play at all for the rear, so make sure to gently bend out the metal part as instructed for the rear, *before* removing the caliper.

Having read through the instructions before starting, the bit about bleeding was interesting, and made me rethink the order of attack. Instead of fitting all 4 and then bleeding, I figured I'd do them one at a time. The reason being that the instructions say to *not* fit the bleeder valve until there is brake fluid seeping from the hole. On the first on, gravity was apparently insufficient motivation to make this happen, so I had to invoke the wife-brake-presser kit and use my finger as a valve until brake fluid came out before installing the valve. I suspect that doing that after all 4 had been installed may have been a little more frustrating, but who knows.

On the bleeder valve specifically: it's a clever system of a steel ball bearing held in place by a spring (when the valve is open for bleeding) and the screw in nipple (which sits directly against the ball when the valve is screwed closed). The thing that scared me shitless was potentially losing one of those ball bearings. Drop one of those little buggers and you likely lose it forever. Ditto with the springs. It would have been nice to have at least one spare of each included in each kit, just for peace of mind.

The other thing about that valves that the recommended torque setting is 25 foot-pounds, which felt like a lot when I was tightening it down. It's an identical thread to the brake line attachment, which is also set at 25, but there at least you're compressing the crush washers, and the bolt itself is more robust.

Anyway, once everything was in, I did the bleeding, as recommended, and took to the road for the first time. Slowly. Given that everything was new, and probably had some grease on it in places, it all went well, stopping as required. Brake pedal feel was, unsurprisingly, a little spongy, but I took her around the block with some stops along the way just to settle stuff into place. A second round of bleeding was done after that, made super easy with those valves, and a second, longer test run with some hills was successful, with the brake pedal feeling normal.

I went for a few longer runs the next day, making sure to use side roads to use the brakes as much as possible, and after ~30 miles, braking performance was already palpably better than stock. Right now the rotors are visibly not completely glossy (the finish is very matt out of the box), and the pads are obviously still bedding in, but I'm delighted so far with the results.

[Edit] If you're running AEV Pintler wheels, these things ain't gonna fit without fitting spacers.

On a side note, I have a set of stock JL rotors and calipers if anyone wants them? 😀
Sponsored

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
After having had good results from Progrip's Dynatrac Big Brake System on our two JKs, I was looking into similar systems for our JL, especially since we're towing with it, and generally carrying a lot more weight even without the trailer than we ever were on the JKs.
Progrip don't do a kit for the JL, but I found Teraflex's Delta System, and after a bit of research, decided to give it a go. Overall, beyond the marketing hype, it looked like a thoughtfully designed system: not just bigger rotors, which can never be a bad thing, but also having pots either side on the caliper for more evenly distributed pressure, and more of it. That one-person bleeding system was also pretty darn compelling.

The kit arrive in 4 boxes, each of which weighed quite a bit. One box for each of the rotor sets, and one for each of the caliper sets (Front and Rear). These are some big-ass rotors, let me tell you!

The printed instructions in the one box (I forget which one) were OK, but not fantastic. There is a really useful installation video online though, which I'd highly recommend watching once or twice before doing the install, and having on hand during the install. Also, as they mention, make sure you have plenty of brake fluid on hand, and tubing and a container to bleed with.

Front installation, at least on my rig, was probably the most time-consuming. It still has the stock brake lines, which for some reason never got the relocation kit when the lift kit went in, and so it took me the better part of 15-20 minutes with a vice grip and tongue-and-groove pliers to force open the bracket that attaches just under the spring perch to release the brake lines so that I could fit the Teraflex line relocation kit.

It also paid off to do the caliper & brake block assembly for front and rear units first, since they were ready to just bolt in once the fighting with the brackets was over instead of going back and forth. Attaching the front brake lines was pretty straight forward. The rear, less so, as it requires about a 1/4 turn twist, and there's not much play at all for the rear, so make sure to gently bend out the metal part as instructed for the rear, *before* removing the caliper.

Having read through the instructions before starting, the bit about bleeding was interesting, and made me rethink the order of attack. Instead of fitting all 4 and then bleeding, I figured I'd do them one at a time. The reason being that the instructions say to *not* fit the bleeder valve until there is brake fluid seeping from the hole. On the first on, gravity was apparently insufficient motivation to make this happen, so I had to invoke the wife-brake-presser kit and use my finger as a valve until brake fluid came out before installing the valve. I suspect that doing that after all 4 had been installed may have been a little more frustrating, but who knows.

On the bleeder valve specifically: it's a clever system of a steel ball bearing held in place by a spring (when the valve is open for bleeding) and the screw in nipple (which sits directly against the ball when the valve is screwed closed). The thing that scared me shitless was potentially losing one of those ball bearings. Drop one of those little buggers and you likely lose it forever. Ditto with the springs. It would have been nice to have at least one spare of each included in each kit, just for peace of mind.

The other thing about that valves that the recommended torque setting is 25 foot-pounds, which felt like a lot when I was tightening it down. It's an identical thread to the brake line attachment, which is also set at 25, but there at least you're compressing the crush washers, and the bolt itself is more robust.

Anyway, once everything was in, I did the bleeding, as recommended, and took to the road for the first time. Slowly. Given that everything was new, and probably had some grease on it in places, it all went well, stopping as required. Brake pedal feel was, unsurprisingly, a little spongy, but I took her around the block with some stops along the way just to settle stuff into place. A second round of bleeding was done after that, made super easy with those valves, and a second, longer test run with some hills was successful, with the brake pedal feeling normal.

I went for a few longer runs the next day, making sure to use side roads to use the brakes as much as possible, and after ~30 miles, braking performance was already palpably better than stock. Right now the rotors are visibly not completely glossy (the finish is very matt out of the box), and the pads are obviously still bedding in, but I'm delighted so far with the results.

On a side note, I have a set of stock JL rotors and calipers if anyone wants them? 😀
Nice post! Sounds like a solid upgrade for sure.
So you have the larger OEM Rubicon brakes right, how much are you wanting for the setup?

OP
OP

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Nice post! Sounds like a solid upgrade for sure.
So you have the larger OEM Rubicon brakes right, how much are you wanting for the setup?
Yeah, so have a full set of front and rear rotors, plus calipers and brake pads with a LOT more miles in them. The one front rotor has a slight score mark on it's one surface, likely from a stone or something that got wedged in at some point. $50 and it's all yours, but you'll have to come collect it in the SF South Bay Area.

IMG_0679.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Superb offer, wish I still lived in Santa Rosa, would be an easy score, unfortunately we're about 1300 miles away now, hope they find a good home!

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubincon JL 2DR
Great post. I am getting these for our 2002 JK after upgrading to 37's. I do have the AEM Pintler Wheels and you mentioned spacers will be required. How much spacer is needed?

Thanks!

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Great post. I am getting these for our 2002 JK after upgrading to 37's. I do have the AEM Pintler Wheels and you mentioned spacers will be required. How much spacer is needed?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. This is a JL forum and I'm not sure if you have either a 2002 TJ, 2012 JK or a 2020 JL.

TJ, no clue
The JK should have lots of room even with these brakes but you really should ask AEV
JL, I would think a 1" spacer would work.

OP
OP

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Thanks!
You don't need a lot of spacer, but because of how they're constructed, the thinnest you'll get that I'd consider safe to run is 1.75". I got a set of SpiderTrax ones. Rugged Ridge do 1.5" ones, but I took a look at those and sent them back: just not enough metal in them for my comfort.

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubincon JL 2DR
Whoah I really need to get myself some "readers" for typing. The rig is a 2020 JT - I have submitted an inquiry to TeraFlex but know they can only advise so much regarding a product that is not theirs.
I will see what they have to say but will likely go with the OP's followup that 1.75 worked for them on a JL. Those brake kits are currently on sale and the JT is due for brakes. Thank you!

OP
OP

kkarnage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Whoah I really need to get myself some "readers" for typing. The rig is a 2020 JT - I have submitted an inquiry to TeraFlex but know they can only advise so much regarding a product that is not theirs.
I will see what they have to say but will likely go with the OP's followup that 1.75 worked for them on a JL. Those brake kits are currently on sale and the JT is due for brakes. Thank you!
To the best of my knowledge, in this respect the JT is no different from the JL, and the parts are identical, and so the fit is going to be identical.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My kit showed up yesterday. It'll be a while before I can install it. While I'm in there it will get chromoly axles as well. One feature I really like about these is that they have a good piston dust boot. I've had Wilwoods on the front of my current truck since 2014 and they have no dust boots. They work without boots, but I'm afraid that the bores will be trashed on the Wilwoods come time to rebuild them.

I did read where one guy mentioned that he was having the rear brake lines catch on trail rocks and loosen. I can see where the rear lines would be somewhat exposed and low. I have a fabrication shop available to me and I'll look into whether its feasible to clock the calipers up by making caliper brackets.

Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Delta Brake System - Initial impressions 20221014_131621
Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Delta Brake System - Initial impressions 20221014_132242
Jeep Wrangler JL Teraflex Delta Brake System - Initial impressions 20221014_131806
Sponsored

Last edited: