New TeraFlex Delta Brakes are AWESOME!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Just another data point for those who are installing or have installed Delta brakes: Today, I checked the Icon Dynamics Rebound Pro 21817857345SB (New design beadlock, 17 x 8.5, 5x 5, for Jeep JL 4.5" backspace, SB = Satin Black) with the Teraflex clearance template. There is plenty of clearance for the Delta brakes. I would hope that Teraflex is keeping a record of the wheels that fit so their customer service could either publish a living list or assist customers.

Also, the Dirty Life Canyon wheels 9310-7973MB38, 17x9, 5x5, 3.5" backspace easily clears the Delta brakes.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spencer

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Check out the new TeraFlex Delta Brake kit for the JL!

We just got these a few days ago and wow are they impressive!

Here is @TeraFlex's High Modulus Delta Brake kit on Northridge4x4's 2018 Red JLUR on 40" Patagonia M/Ts during a full panic stop from 50 mph with the ABS firing to keep the tires from locking up on wet pavement. We were shocked at how fast they stopped the JL!

TeraFlex did a great job matching these with the stock JL master cylinder, brake booster and ABS system. It is a fantastic combination!

Of course we have a full install write-up over on NorthridgeNation.com: Teraflex High Performance Brake Kit for JL.
Do these need to be broken in? So far they haven’t impressed me. Didn’t see anything in the instructions regarding bedding the pads.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Do these need to be broken in? So far they haven’t impressed me. Didn’t see anything in the instructions regarding bedding the pads.
All new brakes need to be "broken in", bedded, etc. There are many opinions on how to do that. Pick one. Most involve repeated high speed braking to get the brakes hot, without stopping completely, then continuing to drive while they cool down. Allowing them to cool when stopped while they are extremely hot , raises the risk of warping the rotors.

OP
OP
Northridge4x4

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
As @roaniecowpony says above, It's always a good idea to bed all new brakes in.

Hit up YouTube, there are a bunch of good vids on there showing the how-to.

Another thing we recommend is to bleed the brakes again after you have some miles on them, often times air bubbles will get trapped in the system and need to work their way out and then be bled off again.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was having new Mickey Thompson BB A/Ts installed yesterday and one of the 4 or 5 guys they had working on my Jeep commented on the Delta brakes, which got me thinking about this thread. So I shot some pix of the rotors. They have maybe 500-600 miles on them. But I bedded them aggressively right away to ensure the zinc plating was worn off and the pads were well seated.
20230612_164507.jpg
20230612_164801.jpg
20230612_164647.jpg
Sponsored