Tazer Mini Install

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
Is anyone else having trouble removing the two SGW cable above the OBD2 connector? I assume I have to press-in a tab on each connector and pull at the same time to unplug the SGW cables. My Mitts just don't fit in that small space and I'm afraid of breaking the cable assembly or my hand...
Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
@Rhinebeck01 may be able to assist with this. As he probably has more experience with these than anyone else here.

RBICN392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Took me a few tries but I got them eventually. Its tight even with the knee panel removed. My hands are not large but was a pain still. I had to push in the clip and pull on the wire at the same time with the same hand but eventually they came loose.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@dgerb

Be sure to remove the plastic under the steering column and to have a good light source in the footwell..

Sometimes a Wife or Teen can do the deed easier then Dad with his big mitts..

Push firmly up on the cable, then push in on the little disconnect.... at same time wiggle wiggle wiggle in different directions as you pull downward on the cable.. Sometimes connector plastic edges catch a bit and keep the connector from coming free easily..

Cuss at it in .. that might help.

Try again... if a no go, take a break and try again... It is a pain but you will get it. Don't discount my suggestion of sicking a smaller set of hands on it.

DO, do buy the SGW Extension Cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you might want to get one before you try again so you do not have to call through all this again!!!!!!

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
@dgerb

Be sure to remove the plastic under the steering column and to have a good light source in the footwell..

Sometimes a Wife or Teen can do the deed easier then Dad with his big mitts..

Push firmly up on the cable, then push in on the little disconnect.... at same time wiggle wiggle wiggle in different directions as you pull downward on the cable.. Sometimes connector plastic edges catch a bit and keep the connector from coming free easily..

Cuss at it in .. that might help.

Try again... if a no go, take a break and try again... It is a pain but you will get it. Don't discount my suggestion of sicking a smaller set of hands on it.

DO, do buy the SGW Extension Cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you might want to get one before you try again so you do not have to call through all this again!!!!!!

There are two cables to be removed, correct?....It seems like the little tab moves toward me and not towards the firewall, correct?...unfortunately no one else with small hands around now.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are two cables to be removed, correct?....It seems like the little tab moves toward me and not towards the firewall, correct?...unfortunately no one else with small hands around now.
I encourage you to hold off til you get the SGW Extension cable from ZAutomotive.... Why have to go through this twice..

Yes, two connectors you have to release. Place your finger on the back side of the connector and feel for the release tab...

You press inward/toward you to release.

Again, push firmly up on the cable, then push in on the little disconnect.... at same time wiggle wiggle wiggle in different directions as you pull downward on the cable.. Sometimes connector plastic edges catch a bit and keep the connector from coming free easily..

I find one time when I do it, it is easy.... and the next time a real pain to disconnect either one or both of the connectors....

After 2+ years, I opted to buy the SGW Extension Cable. Good decision on my part.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
I encourage you to hold off til you get the SGW Extension cable from ZAutomotive.... Why have to go through this twice..

Yes, two connectors you have to release. Place your finger on the back side of the connector and feel for the release tab...

You press inward/toward you to release.

Again, push firmly up on the cable, then push in on the little disconnect.... at same time wiggle wiggle wiggle in different directions as you pull downward on the cable.. Sometimes connector plastic edges catch a bit and keep the connector from coming free easily..

I find one time when I do it, it is easy.... and the next time a real pain to disconnect either one or both of the connectors....

After 2+ years, I opted to buy the SGW Extension Cable. Good decision on my part.
https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/
I do have the extension cable on order....problem is I'm getting the new tires installed tomorrow and was hoping to get the tazer installed....I had no idea it would be this difficult. When you say "push firmly up on the cable" I assume you mean pull away from the female connector and the same time as pulling the small tab away from the female connector....A picture of the assembly would be nice...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do have the extension cable on order....problem is I'm getting the new tires installed tomorrow and was hoping to get the tazer installed....I had no idea it would be this difficult. When you say "push firmly up on the cable" I assume you mean pull away from the female connector and the same time as pulling the small tab away from the female connector....A picture of the assembly would be nice...

@dgerb

I just messaged you with a video that tells/shows the deed..

NO reason to install the Tazer now..... the install will / can wait til you get the SGW Extension Cable.
Just remember to drive say 5 mph slower til you adjust for new tire size. 8-)

No sense dealing with the connectors more then you have to..

You can see release tabs in this pic of the Tazer JL plugged into the cables.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer Mini Install 20180426_194230

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
@dgerb

NO reason to install the Tazer now..... the install will / can wait til you get the SGW Extension Cable.

Thanks....I'm going to try again tomorrow...I'm totally frustrated now...I've even tried right angle needle nose plier...nothing works aside from disassembling the Jeep in that area...

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
Thanks....I'm going to try again tomorrow...I'm totally frustrated now...I've even tried right angle needle nose plier...nothing works aside from disassembling the Jeep in that area...
I spent about 5 hours trying to get the second cable out, bought about $100 worth of fancy pliers, asked the wife to give it ago (she got the first one out no problem). This was about 4 weeks ago. Gave up and bought the AEV Procal, which will take care of tire size, axles, TPMS threshold but near as feature rich as the Taser Mini.

Best of luck to you!

Sponsored

webwbr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
I just did this Sunday…. It was a booger, glad I got the extension cable. I couldn’t get the larger one out and when I stopped trying to press the part that locks it is it came out! Keep at it, don’t give up!

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
This is not as difficult as many of you are making it seem... And why are any of you spending money on tools?

If you're having trouble take off the damn driver's side door and remove the driver's seat.

Lay down with your head under the dash and get it done.

This was about 9 million times easier than installing OEM LEDs as the BCM is waaaay up in there with a fraction of the room.

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
I spent about 5 hours trying to get the second cable out, bought about $100 worth of fancy pliers, asked the wife to give it ago (she got the first one out no problem). This was about 4 weeks ago. Gave up and bought the AEV Procal, which will take care of tire size, axles, TPMS threshold but near as feature rich as the Taser Mini.

Best of luck to you!
That's interesting I have a AEV Procal which I used on my 2013 JK to take care of tire size and other stuff...I wonder if it works on JL's...

ozon8r

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Hydro Blue
Build Thread
Link
That's interesting I have a AEV Procal which I used on my 2013 JK to take care of tire size and other stuff...I wonder if it works on JL's...
I believe that once you pair the AEV Procal to a vehicle, it may not be available for other vehicles. This is not the case with Taser Mini, but you have to unmarry when unhooking and thus loose any programming once unmarried.

OP
OP

dgerb

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 392
@dgerb

SWG.jpg
Sponsored