Tazer JL Mini

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
TPMS warnings are bugging me and I was looking at the low priced Tazer to solve. I would assume that the TPMS adjustment would do away with the warning light as well as fix how the dash screen goes to the tire pressure display upon startup. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I am not someone who enjoys or is able to figure out technical glitches. Is it realistic to plug in and make changes and forget it's there until it needs removed to visit the dealer??
I have yet to unplug my tazer for anything other than updating its software version. You can use it to either lower the TPMS warning setpoint or to disable the system entirely.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@gofastguy

Well for starter's I sincerely believe that if you purchase a Tazer JL Lite, that in time you will wish you had purchased a Tazer JL Mini. Of course, the Tazer JL Lite can be updated to a Mini after you purchase it but that costs $.

Before you purchase, do read up on / learn what a Mini has to offer you... especially, you as a Rubicon owner.

With that said, yes the Lite will do as you want and clear up what you mentioned.. 8-)

As for the install, marrying and set-up of the features.... well, very very easy, even for a guy that hates tech, has trouble setting a digital alarm clock, etc.. Again, very easy for even those guys and gals that avoid techy stuff.

Probably biggest pain in the arse is unplugging the 2 connectors that you need to unplug in order to install a Tazer. Even that though is not a big deal, and you will get-er-done.

Yes, you would unmarry and uninstall the Tazer JL every time you plan to take the JL to the dealership service dept.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
@gofastguy

Well for starter's I sincerely believe that if you purchase a Tazer JL Lite, that in time you will wish you had purchased a Tazer JL Mini. Of course, the Tazer JL Lite can be updated to a Mini after you purchase it but that costs $.

Before you purchase, do read up on / learn what a Mini has to offer you... especially, you as a Rubicon owner.

With that said, yes the Lite will do as you want and clear up what you mentioned.. 8-)

As for the install, marrying and set-up of the features.... well, very very easy, even for a guy that hates tech, has trouble setting a digital alarm clock, etc.. Again, very easy for even those guys and gals that avoid techy stuff.

Probably biggest pain in the arse is unplugging the 2 connectors that you need to unplug in order to install a Tazer. Even that though is not a big deal, and you will get-er-done.

Yes, you would unmarry and uninstall the Tazer JL every time you plan to take the JL to the dealership service dept.
Two things I'm asking you to help me with... I purchased the Tazer JL and upgraded it to full programing... THEN the Tazer JL Mini came out and my understanding it is the same as what I purchase. If not what is the differences?

I did email Tazer Support as wanted to make sure what I needed to do visiting the dealer. He said unplug it, no need to unmarry. After dealer plug back in and I will be like I never unplugged it with sittings working.

Look forward to your help.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MacJack

I'm unclear in regard to what you purchased in the beginning. Did you purchase a Tazer JL or a Tazer JL Lite. A Tazer JL cannot be upgraded but a Tazer JL Lite can be upgraded..

IF you did indeed purchased a Tazer JL Lite (my guess is you did and paid $125 for that upgrade to Tazer JL Mini) and you upgraded it, so you now have a Tazer JL Mini which has the exact same abilities/feature set as the Tazer JL.

I'm surprised that ZAutomotive told you not to unmarry. Joe has told me just the opposite. Personally, I would not leave the Tazer JL, married even if Joe did say it was not mandatory to do so.

Best bet is to unmarry the Tazer JL and then remove the Tazer JL and the companion module.

Best bet if you have a Tazer JL Mini or Tazer JL Lite is to unmarry and remove the Tazer JL Mini or the Tazer JL Lite.

About marry and unmarry. Only takes a minute to marry and a minute to unmarry.

Where the work is if you want to call it that is the removal of the hardware.

As for the settings... takes but a couple of minutes to do. Once you know your settings, write them down and then if you need to redo you have things at hand and the set-up process can be done in a few minutes.

Sponsored

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
@MacJack

I'm unclear in regard to what you purchased in the beginning. Did you purchase a Tazer JL or a Tazer JL Lite. A Tazer JL cannot be upgraded but a Tazer JL Lite can be upgraded..

IF you did indeed purchase a Tazer JL Lite (my guess is you did) and you upgraded it you now have a Tazer JL Mini which has the exact same abilities/feature set as the Tazer JL.

I'm surprised that ZAutomotive told you not to unmarry. Joe has told me just the opposite. Personally, I would not leave the Tazer JL, married even if Joe did say it was not mandatory to do so.

Best bet is to unmarry the Tazer JL and then remove the Tazer JL and the companion module.

Best bet if you have a Tazer JL Mini or Tazer JL Lite is to unmarry and remove the Tazer JL Mini or the Tazer JL Lite.

About marry and unmarry. Only takes a minute to marry and a minute to unmarry.

Where the work is if you want to call it that is the removal of the hardware.

As for the settings... takes but a couple of minutes to do. Once you know your settings, write them down and then if you need to redo you have things at hand and the set-up process can be done in a few minutes.

O you're correct it was the Lite. Sorry to miss lead you...
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 6.13.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 6.11.55 PM.png

This is what Support wrote me... You just remove the TaZer Mini and put back the original connector so that the Witech dealer software can access the vehicle, unmarrying the vehicle will return the vehicle to stock that's the function of the marry/unmarry, it saves your vehicles original data during the marry process.

Thanks for your help on understanding and hope this post helps others.....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MacJack

I just got a hold of Joe about the unmarry or not to unmarry before you go to a dealership... and what you were told by Z.

Here is the of what Joe said, word for word:

"That must have been someone that works for me...
I always say to unmarry otherwise the dealer may wipe out your changes, which isn’t really an issue because you can still set them again, but if they do an update which changes the BCM config, and you’re not unmarried, when you finally do unmarry you’ll be erasing what the dealer just applied.

So unmarry then visit. That’s always the plan."

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
@MacJack

I just got a hold of Joe about the unmarry or not to unmarry before you go to a dealership... and what you were told by Z.

Here is the of what Joe said, word for word..:

That must have been someone that works for me...
I always say to unmarry otherwise the dealer may wipe out your changes, which isn’t really an issue because you can still set them again, but if they do an update which changes the BCM config, and you’re not unmarried, when you finally do unmarry you’ll be erasing what the dealer just applied.

So unmarry then visit. That’s always the plan.
Thanks, I can see Joe advise as once your Jeep is at a dealer for a simple oil change, who knows what else they will do. Unmarry for sure.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@MacJack

I was aware of what Joe just told me, for the umpteenth time...... and I posted here for you.

I figured someone at Z gave you misinformation... 8-(

SO, to you and others, do read carefully what Joe stated.

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
O you're correct it was the Lite. Sorry to miss lead you...
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 6.13.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 6.11.55 PM.png

This is what Support wrote me... You just remove the TaZer Mini and put back the original connector so that the Witech dealer software can access the vehicle, unmarrying the vehicle will return the vehicle to stock that's the function of the marry/unmarry, it saves your vehicles original data during the marry process.

Thanks for your help on understanding and hope this post helps others.....
Marry....unmarry? Wtf? My ex didn't unmarry me. She divorced my arse! From now on I will marry and divorce my Tazer!

Sponsored

Oversized

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For fusion
Vehicle Showcase
I have had great experience with my Tazer. When it comes to things like turn cam being buggy I just look at something like that as still in development. None of us bought the Tazer for that specific purpose. We bought it for the tons of other features it can do but mostly tire size, gear size, and tpms. The fact that is can do the other stuff is amazing. If one of the subsidiary features doesn't work then don't use it and wait til there is an update. If you watch the forums there are regular updates to try.

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Does the tazer plug into the same port as the autosmartstop?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had great experience with my Tazer. When it comes to things like turn cam being buggy I just look at something like that as still in development. None of us bought the Tazer for that specific purpose. We bought it for the tons of other features it can do but mostly tire size, gear size, and tpms. The fact that is can do the other stuff is amazing. If one of the subsidiary features doesn't work then don't use it and wait til there is an update. If you watch the forums there are regular updates to try.
@Oversized

Per Joe, at ZAutomotive, he has tweaked "Turn Cam", so we hopefully will no longer see the hiccup when using it.

So, lets see how we do with final release firmware 11.0.8 when it becomes available in the near future.