First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Windows computers are cheap/free (you don't need anything fancy--someone's old one would be fine); I keep at least one around for software compatibility: Tazer, GMRS and ham radios, a USB power load/tester, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

I'm a mac user.

I do wish the Tazer site kept up to date.
Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Windows computers are cheap/free (you don't need anything fancy--someone's old one would be fine); I keep at least one around for software compatibility: Tazer, GMRS and ham radios, a USB power load/tester, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

I'm a mac user.

I do wish the Tazer site kept up to date.
Sure, though I'm personally not going to purchase and keep around an extra computer just for Tazer.

If Tazer ends up being Windows exclusive, I'll probably take the money that would otherwise go toward a Windows machine and go use it to invest in an alternate option other than Tazer. Cheaper and easier than buying and using another computer.

Can't really imagine that I would've bought a Tazer up front if that meant also buying another computer. Just too easy to buy a different product other than Tazer.

Hopefully it's a moot point and Mac support comes back anyway.

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Why not use Boot Camp?
I have a Windows laptop I use just for HPtuners, they don't support Mac.
Not a big deal really, I use it for other automotive apps, work, etc. as well.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You should be able to find lots of Windows computers on craigslist or fb marketplace for well under $100. I just saw a laptop for $25.

Or simply ask one of your neighbors / friends if you can use one of theirs for a few minutes.

I'm fairly sure that there's no real competition for Tazer, at least not for anything beyond the basics.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Why not use Boot Camp?
I have a Windows laptop I use just for HPtuners, they don't support Mac.
Not a big deal really, I use it for other automotive apps, work, etc. as well.
Not an option with new Apple silicon.

I am an original two piece Tazer owner from 2018. I have the Mac app that used to be available on the website. It still works fine. 🤷‍♂️

“Get with it and switch to Windows” is absurd advice that only a non-savvy person would lend. I’ve been a software developer for 25 years and work for a company that sells hardware and enterprise software. MacOS and Linux are heavily favored, and for good reason.

I believe the reason Joe took down the Mac app was some licensing issue with the USB to serial driver he was bundling. Hopefully it gets sorted, soon.

For those with Intel Macs, VirtualBox is free and much easier than dual booting. I have confirmed it works fine for updating the Tazer using a Windows 10 guest.

Sponsored

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Not an option with new Apple silicon.

I am an original two piece Tazer owner from 2018. I have the Mac app that used to be available on the website. It still works fine. 🤷‍♂️

“Get with it and switch to Windows” is absurd advice that only a non-savvy person would lend. I’ve been a software developer for 25 years and work for a company that sells hardware and enterprise software. MacOS and Linux are heavily favored, and for good reason.

I believe the reason Joe took down the Mac app was some licensing issue with the USB to serial driver he was bundling. Hopefully it gets sorted, soon.

For those with Intel Macs, VirtualBox is free and much easier than dual booting. I have confirmed it works fine for updating the Tazer using a Windows 10 guest.
Thanks for the info.
No one, at least not myself, is telling anyone to switch to Windows, but be realistic and that not every app is compatible across eco systems. Took forever for Gaia to support Android for example.

I only use Linux and Windows myself, do not use Mac although if I was a developer like yourself it might be more beneficial.

At any rate, my point was all is not lost in the world if you have a Mac and want to use an app not working with it, there is work arounds. Heck, I bought an ipad just to use Gaia since at the time they were not actively working on one for Android, now they have it, and I can use the ipad for long trips rather than a laptop. Not that big of a deal.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
No one, at least not myself, is telling anyone to switch to Windows
Sorry, I wasn’t aiming that at you. A few posts back someone else had a lot to say about it and I was doing a reply-all.

Initial-Jeep

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392XR Tuscadero, PT Cruiser Dream Cruisers 2&4
Occupation
Data Engineer, Retired Air Force
Sure, though I'm personally not going to purchase and keep around an extra computer just for Tazer.

If Tazer ends up being Windows exclusive, I'll probably take the money that would otherwise go toward a Windows machine and go use it to invest in an alternate option other than Tazer. Cheaper and easier than buying and using another computer.

Can't really imagine that I would've bought a Tazer up front if that meant also buying another computer. Just too easy to buy a different product other than Tazer.

Hopefully it's a moot point and Mac support comes back anyway.

I don't know that there's anything that can compete with the Tazer feature-wise.
Sponsored